It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rounded Pebbles On MARS Reveal Past Flowing Water

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

Hi HSS, ATS Readers, Writers,

S&F for you on this one.

As some have pointed out, water has been known on Mars for quite some time. They used photos of a geyser I think it was; to show it being there.

But.. the rover has actually verified it to the point of non contention I presume now. I guess it is the "sustained flow" part of it that is the key phrase.

So slow to come out with information. Frustrating at times.

I must admit that the photos are way cool to see.

What gets me is they pick a place to land this probe... that is sort of boring. Yeah this site has geological formations to look at etc..

We ALL have seen photos that appear to be trees, lakes, areas with lots of GREEN there, etc.

WHY NOT send a probe to one of these places to see what those "trees" really are? Are they afraid that they might be trees, and very big trees at that? They afraid some bone heads here on Earth would freak out if they found TREES? Or maybe all that green area is algae, or moss, or SOMETHING green? Golf course for the greys?? lol

I think if they wanted to, they could send a probe to the exact spot to find life. And I think a lot of these photos of the surface have not been published in the best resolution they have. I am referring to the ones from orbiting satellites.

People I think would really like to see a probe go to where these "forests" have been spotted, or the areas where it looks like bushes growing in the cracks of underlying rock strata, maybe getting water there from the strata, etc. A probe to check out those weird arse glass tunnel looking things in the big canyons, etc.

How about going and looking at that weird stuff, and then they maybe/probably find something really astounding, NASA would not be shy of funding THEN is my guess, right?

Or Lord forbid, have a probe go land on one of the most obvious looking "old cities ruins" and see what that stuff is. Is it a ruined city, or just a weird rock thing going on? They could have a contest... which old city would YOU send the probe to and why? What name would you give it?

Find a forest of trees on Mars and you will have everyone wanting to go there.

Monsanto for the genetic material they could steal, er um.. patent..lol Mining magnate Gina from OZ might be interested in mining possibilities. And the Rothschild's would drool at the chance to enslave a race of Martians with a banking system for the little green men if they ever found them too. Dark humor, sorry

Pravdaseeker

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hello, I have an off topic item, and do not have enough posts ye to create a thread.
Reading up on an asteroid called 1998 QE2. It is going to pass Earth tomorrow
afternoon (31 May).
I came across this picture, probably fake, but here it is:

Thought you might like to poke holes in it. I got it on a site that I was
not at (?), and not sure if it is real or not.
Not even sure what it is showing.
There is alot of info at the nasa site, but I could not find this photo.
Cheers.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It is an achievement for Curiosity to have found evidence of water , in the form of rounded pebbles, but until it finds physical evidence of the existence of microbial life, or fossilised versions of same at least, there will be no proof of life on Mars, or anywhere else.

Water does not automatically mean life, nor does oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, any form of acid, acceptable temperature ranges having prevailed at any time in Mars history, or the possible existence of entire seas on the planet. Only evidence of life, is evidence of life. When it finds microbes, live or dead, or the husk of some more complex lifeform, fossilied in a broken rock somewhere, THEN start blowing the life on Mars horn, and not before.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This is kind of a non-starter. Consider that there is a canyon on Mars that is 10 times as large as our grand canyon. Mars had tons of water flowing on its surface at one time. There may still be vast quantities under the surface. Liquid water has actually been seen recently on the Sun facing side of the planet. There could be a type of extremophile on that planet living today.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Radiation may prove the real hurdle in setting foot on Mars, not water availability.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
There's rounded pebbles on Titan from liquid methane flows, what proof is there that water flowed on mars? OP where's your proof water did the erosion?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by C141Clay

and not sure if it is real or not.

It's real

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
In this paper, researchers measured how organisms and their DNA has become more complex, assuming an exponential rate (doubling every fixed number of years):

Life Before Earth
arxiv.org...
arxiv.org...

On page three, there is a graph which shows the graph line of species vs. time

The estimate on the start of life is 9.5 billion years before present (Earth has only been around 4.5 billion years).

The universe had 500 million years to first create life, then another 5 billion to spread across the galaxy/universe until it reached our planet).

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I think those NASA scientists should test drive their theories on ATS before making public conclusions. That doesn't look like stream bed rocks to me. Some rock falls apart that way. There may have been water on Mars at one time but I don't think that this would be evidence.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

was there water on Mars !! ..... hmmm let me think....... waiting thinking .... Ohh Yea!!!!

Canals ! Ancient River Beds Round Pebbles !

and !!! Earth was alot Hotter during the Age of the Dinosuars!! well till the Ice Age ....

Now where did Most the H2o Go !! into the Atmosphere !

1) loss of a Strong Magnatic Field beacuse of the Core
2) Sort of end of days Event ...
3) Solar Wind n Flares

Sun's Temper Blamed for Loss of Water on Mars
by Ker Than, Staff Writer
Date: 22 August 2007 Time: 08:46 PM ET
www.space.com...

New Spacecraft Will Hunt for Mars' Lost Water
Michael Schirber, Astrobiology Magazine Contributor
Date: 31 August 2011 Time: 05:43 PM ET
www.space.com...

Mars_Express_latest_findings_give_hints_about_water_loss_in_the_Martian_atmosphere
www.esa.int...

Terraforming Mars

this is what i would like to see at the poles

from a clip of orignial movie of Total Recall 1990

well make some clouds tooo

but how would we strenthen kick start the core again ???

NASA !!!!! thinks So!!!!
Terraforming Mars

NASA scientists believe that it is technologically possible at the present time to create considerable global climate changes, allowing humans to live on Mars. But this will not be by any means an easy task. Raising the atmospheric pressure and surface temperature alone could be achieved in a few decades.

www.quest.nasa.gov...

Mars Exploration, Colonization and Terraforming Links
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

edit on 31-5-2013 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Mars was in the habitable zone and I would stake a claim and there was life on it at some point.

We are made from the stars and if we existed here, then we probably existed on Mars first, speculation of course

Yes, and S&F for the OP

I am a big believer in 'Ancient Mars' and I think that's why we are planning missions to colonize it; we know that we have been there before.

The depletion of the Martian atmosphere would explain a sort of 'Exodus' to Earth- an no wonder that the bible and other religious texts describe 'red seas' and 'red deserts'.

Yea, I definitely believe in the Ancient Alien theory which would corroborate with this; that the 'gods' settled Mars for a long time, and then when the atmosphere depleted, it was the beginning of Project Earth.

edit on 31-5-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens

Rounded Pebbles On MARS Reveal Past Flowing Water

bigstory.ap.org

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A fresh analysis by NASA's Curiosity rover confirms a stream once ran through Gale Crater on Mars.

During a pit stop last year, Curiosity came upon hundreds of smooth, round pebbles that look strikingly similar to deposits in river banks on Earth.

Scientists believe the rover rolled onto an ancient streambed, but needed to study the stones in more detail. So Curiosity snapped high-resolution pictures and fired its laser at several pebbles to analyze the chemical makeup.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com
www.google.co.uk
www.google.co.uk www.google.co.uk

I am all in hope that we find proof of life other than earth.... but those rocks look like they could have easily been windswept from the crazy storms and high winds that sometimes inhabit Mars.. it would not be very hard to synthesize those same rocks with some sand, a high pressure jet and a solid backdrop. While i do believe that there once was water on mars I do not think that this is in any way shape or from proof of it. I think we should focus our efforts more on the inside of the moon and our own ocean before we tangle with the outlying planets. I think that we could find most of our answers here on earth before we decide to tackle the others.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kdyam

While i do believe that there once was water on mars I do not think that this is in any way shape or from proof of it.

It is part of the proof and when added to other observations made over the last few years its now certain that Mars did have flowing water at its surface and as shown earlier to an extent still does .

NASA's Curiosity rover found evidence for an ancient, flowing stream on Mars at a few sites, including the rock outcrop pictured here. This geological feature on Mars is exposed bedrock made up of smaller fragments cemented together, what geologists call a sedimentary conglomerate.
www.upi.com...

More evidence found by Opportunity in 2011

"This tells a slam-dunk story that water flowed through underground fractures in the rock," said Steve Squyres, Cornell's Goldwin Smith Professor of Astronomy and principal scientific investigator for Opportunity. "This stuff is a fairly pure chemical deposit that formed in place right where we see it. That can't be said for other gypsum seen on Mars or for other water-related minerals Opportunity has found. It's not uncommon on Earth, but on Mars, it's the kind of thing that makes geologists jump out of their chairs."
news.cornell.edu...

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Goes hand in hand with what bashar says about mars...mars hat water and still has under its crust

edit on 1-6-2013 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>

join