It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latvia Bans Smoking in Presence of Children Equating It with Physical Abuse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Doctors suggested that parents should be punished for smoking in the same manner as they are punished for child abuse. The members of the committee came to the conclusion that such amendments would help reduce the harm to children's health caused by passive smoking. The Saeima will soon consider the proposal in the second reading.

english.pravda.ru...

Smoking in the presence of a child will soon be considered an act of physical violence in Latvia. The corresponding bill has been approved in the second reading by the country’s parliament.
The bill is designed to amend the country’s existing law on protection of children’s right in a way to include the definition of the term “violence” in it and a clause saying smoking in the presence of a child will be considered a form of violence.

english.ruvr.ru...

I did not find latest news in English news portals, although today such law was passed.

I am a smoker, yet I like this news. Nobody should suffer because of my actions. I have avoided such situations before and will continue, especially in front of children. Usually when I smoke, I go to designated areas or just find some more isolated area where I do not disturb anybody, never in a crowded street though.

Hopefully similar law will be also passed soon in the neighboring countries
I have seen too many mother and fathers smoking inside the car, while kids are inside or inside the room. It is just irresponsible behaviour in my opinion and I feel sad for the kids.

I wonder though how it will be controlled. Probably just when someone is caught on street, just like underage drinking. When you get caught, you get fined.
edit on 30-5-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

This news is fantastic!! I really hope USA grabs this and runs with it also!

I hate people smoking around me, let alone a child who can't like it and there is nothing they can do to evade it!!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
People should switch to esmokes, it's 100% better for the people around you and yourself included. The problem is the urge to ban everything will probably see it go the way of the dodo simply cause it "looks like smoking"

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Then ban them from cars also......would you rather be in an enclosed room with 100 smokers or an enclosed room with one car with the engine running.
I agree don't smoke around kids but I think the reason for lung cancer also has to do with the cars going past us each day.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Then ban them from cars also......would you rather be in an enclosed room with 100 smokers or an enclosed room with one car with the engine running.
I agree don't smoke around kids but I think the reason for lung cancer also has to do with the cars going past us each day.

They did that in Canada, smoking in a car with someone under 16 will net you a fine. Personally, I could see this logic if no window was open. It's not really fair to kids riding in a smokebox. However, I used to like the smell of my dad's cigarettes and it's one of the few fond memories I have of him.

I'm not mad he smoke around me and I wouldn't want the state charging him for it.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

The part you don't seem to understand is that one more law on one of us is one more law on all of us.

Do we really need more laws? Some people are ignorant and judge people by race, sex, or religion laws will never change this. Let stupid people be stupid. Maybe what you are saying is that if some one is ignorant enough to smoke around you then he is the one that needs to go? Prejudice much? In really you are no different than the smoker you both want it your way. I'm here to tell if someone smoking bothers you that much walk away. Be the bigger man.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by Cabin

This news is fantastic!! I really hope USA grabs this and runs with it also!

I hate people smoking around me, let alone a child who can't like it and there is nothing they can do to evade it!!

If they smoke around children at all they should demonstrate respect for their children's physical health if they are going to set a bad example by having a smoking room, or going outside.
edit on 30-5-2013 by Miracula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
As someone who experienced this almost daily for years I can say it's about time.

Smoking in the house, smoking in the car etc... I resented it as a kid. I hated smokers.
I still do, just now I can respect the people at least..

The worst part was being helpless, I couldn't do anything about it, at all. The smell. All the time.

top topics

join