It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'You Go Girl!' Cartoon network unveils new controversial transsexual character She-Zow!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Children's cable network The Hub, which is owned by Discovery and toy maker Hasbro is launching its latest cartoon aimed at ages two to 11 - about a gender-bending crime fighter named 'SheZow'.
The show's main character is a 12-year-old boy named Guy, who uses a magic ring to transform himself into his alter-ego - a girl wearing a purple skirt and white go-go boots.
And as if to emphasize the transgendered nature of the switch, Guy activates the ring, inherited from his aunt with the exclamation, 'You Go Girl!'.

I figured I could get some interesting responses if I posted this story.

I would be interested to see whether this character is transsexual (Like Ranma 1/2) or merely transgendered.

This character is neither transsexual nor transgendered. Ranma 1/2 was not transsexual either.

Magically turning from one gender into another is completely different from trassexualism or transgenderism.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Who cares?

When i was little, i apparently liked getting into my moms makeup all the time. I also played with barbies and other girl toys and liked them way more than "boy" toys.

And guess what? I didn't turn insane or messed up, i'm a totally normal, straight male.

Stop blowing everything out of proportion people.

(By the way, if a kid watched this and actually decided they enjoyed dressing differently, who cares? It's not your life.)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
LOL, how is this bad? It can't possibly be any worse than gargoyles coming to life, having Darkwing Duck come to your rescue, having the Thundercats fight evils, having Mystique shapeshift in to everything under the sun, or having Bugs Bunny cross-dress. Or good god, Mighty Mouse. Anyone else remember the cross-dressing wolf trying to get the lambs by way of being Bo Peep? Corset & all there!

I have 2 girls under 5. I really don't give a flying turd what they play with, let alone watch, so long as it's not racy/suggestive/excessively violent (i.e no Family Guy or American Dad at these ages) The worst these 2 watch is Adventure Time & The Amazing World of Gumball. I highly doubt a gender-changing hero is going to be any more offensive than a blue cat with a lazy pink rabbit father, or a human raised by talking dogs.

My elder daughter loves Japanese anime, and Monster High. That pretty much sums up her imagination world, Japanese cat-girls, and the kids of horror movie creatures. My younger daughter is very different. She'll sit & watch documentaries (her focus has been the extinct Dire wolves lately) and science shows, especially space ones (she WILL be an astronaut some day, by her decree) She loves dinosaurs. She can rattle off a list of dinos by name & tell you what type easier than telling you what the names of the characters on Dora are. Same with astronomy. Want to know what that star is, name & type? Ask my 4 year old, she'd know better than me.

My elder says she's going to grow up & be a cat, because cats are awesome animals. The younger says she's going to grow up to be an astronaut scientist. With pet dinosaurs, and robot friends. On Mars. And she'll have a farm for food on Mars. But she'll go to other planets in other star systems, too, to meet aliens because she just has to see everything there is.
*cue PBS supporting donors voice* These life goals are made possible by parents who think inventing your own fun is better than social conformity, and by toys like Matchbox cars, Legos, toy space shuttles, dinosaur collections, farm toys, tool toys, and the occasional weird space-faring Barbie doll adventure.
edit on 5/31/2013 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

If there is something wrong with boys being identified as girls.. ..what are we teaching our children about girls?

hmm...let's see, is there something wrong with boys being identified as girls? well yes, they patently aren't girls. there is also something wrong with claiming a girl is a boy. i could then balance the equation with the statement "what are we teaching our children about boys?"

and your argument falls apart because the inverse is also true, causing the equation to balance and your statement to be canceled out.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

You're going to have to do better than that. You're saying don't act like the opposite gender, but not outlining why.

Trying to claim a certain color or make of clothing is inherent to femininity or masculinity is bogus (boys wore obvious pink dresses in the past) Saying a hair length, dye color, or hair style is equally bogus, it's just hair. Humans had a long history with hair & how it was styled worldwide. Saying playing with a doll or a car is specific to a gender is just dumb. Toys are toys, and it makes zero difference in the long-run. Acting in a certain manner unique to oneself that may happen to fall under a gender stereotype is just arsehole special thinking. Plenty of men are macho. Plenty of women are macho. Plenty of men are gentle/feminine. Plenty of women are, too. It depends on what characteristics make up that person that give you that macho/feminine impression. Does it really matter more than the overall good of the individual at heart?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

i'm not saying any of the things that you claim i am saying.

i think it is wrong to tell a boy "you were born a girl, and if you want we can make you who you truly are" i believe the same is true for both sexes. this is what i oppose.

if a male wants to wear "girl" clothes while acknowledging that he is indeed a male, i have no problem with that, nor do i have a problem with a girl wearing "boy" clothes. these are cultural relatives that have no bearing on morality.

i am against indoctrination, however. if a child comes up with the idea on their own, i wouldn't discourage it, (though i would tell them the truth: that life may be difficult for them because they are going against cultural standards). as i have already said, the color and style of clothing considered "male" and "female" is entirely culturally based, and isn't inherently "wrong".

BUT this program isn't interested in teaching children to think for themselves, but to tell them "you can be a girl if you want" or "you can be a boy if you want". i find this disturbing.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
To the OP..."You go girl"!!!

I for one cant wait to watch this cartoon...lol...

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
reply to post by Nyiah

BUT this program isn't interested in teaching children to think for themselves, but to tell them "you can be a girl if you want" or "you can be a boy if you want". i find this disturbing.

So exactly what gender-only characteristics do you think they are promoting to be aspired to? Long hair? Girly clothing styles? Make-up? Boobs? (don't recall seeing those in the stills) I'm not really following your line of thought here, and would like something a whole lot more concise instead of tip-toeing around your idea & throwing out ideological breadcrumbs. It's like you think there's some undertone to pressure changing genitals when all this show apparently is is changing the outward clothing & hair for the character. Which is otherwise called "dress-up/costume play".

EDIT: FYI, "you can be a girl if you want" or "you can be a boy if you want" does actually entail being what you want to be. It's not that disturbing. Gender identity doesn't necessarily match the crotch, brah.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

It's like you think there's some undertone to pressure changing genitals when all this show apparently is is changing the outward clothing & hair for the character. Which is otherwise called "dress-up/costume play".

the ring he uses has "magic power" and not only turns him into a girl physically, but also changes his clothes. notice the pictures above linking blue to boys and pink to girls. i thought you were against such stereotypes? the show seems to promote that pink is for girls and blue is for boys, it then also promotes the idea of sex change to children aged 2-11.

EDIT: FYI, "you can be a girl if you want" or "you can be a boy if you want" does actually entail being what you want to be. It's not that disturbing. Gender identity doesn't necessarily match the crotch, brah.

right...which is why a lengthy and painful medical procedure is carried out to change hormones and the genitals. there is a large disconnect from reality when it comes to this. one cannot be what they want to be. a person cannot become a genius by wishing it, or in great physical shape by wanting it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I find it interesting that people have no issue with shows that depict characters shapeshifting into animals, robots, demons, superheroes, weapons, gods, statues, vigilantes, mutants, aliens...but when its a gender switch, suddenly its an issue.

People really are nuts....
edit on 30-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

Excellent point!

Isn't this like all those crazies screaming about a gay kiss on TV, while they let their kids watch people being shot in movies, the news telling them about the latest tribal wars, the latest massacre in some foreign land, the latest scandal about their troops molesting or torturing their prisoners...

That's some f'ed up morality these people have. I would rather explain to my kids why two people of the same sex are in love, than try to explain to them that millions of people die terrible deaths because of a book they believe in!

This is no different. This is a story, a fantastical tale, FICTION. It is no different to any other fantastical cartoon.

How many of us grew up to wear shells on our backs?
How many of us have grown up wanting to be a talking car?
How many of you screaming like irrational banshees about this have grown up to hate Bunny Wabbits?

You all need to grow some freakin' intellect.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Nyiah

the ring he uses has "magic power" and not only turns him into a girl physically, but also changes his clothes. notice the pictures above linking blue to boys and pink to girls. i thought you were against such stereotypes? the show seems to promote that pink is for girls and blue is for boys, it then also promotes the idea of sex change to children aged 2-11.

Right, in real life. I don't particularly care what a cartoon character or actor/actress wears in a work of fiction. However, if you're going to be a small-minded backwoods yokel about a boy wearing pink or a girl wearing blue, there's a problem with your associations. My favorite color is blue (or rather, the many shade of it) and I wear it often, and HATE the look of pinks and reds. That end of the color spectrum is not aesthetically appealing to me. Elder daughter loves purples and blacks, younger will only wear pinks, Preferably with lace & tulle fabric, flower prints strongly preferred (she's a frilly pint-sized nerd, what can I say) Boys can wear that, too, I don't give a damn if a boy puts on a frilly pink dress. I never said it was just for either/or, and that it can't be worn by either/or. And definitely didn't say nawp to assign a color to a character in cartoons. At least they picked a purple hue as far as my monitor sees, which is probably a nod to both the male & female than anything. As far as I'm concerned, purple's as gender neutral as yellow or orange is than pink would have been.

right...which is why a lengthy and painful medical procedure is carried out to change hormones and the genitals. there is a large disconnect from reality when it comes to this. one cannot be what they want to be. a person cannot become a genius by wishing it, or in great physical shape by wanting it.

What part of "gender identity doesn't necessarily match the crotch" did you flipping miss?? You went right for gender surgery here, which wasn't the point of gender identity. Is gender identity that tied to genitals to you? Do you not think about the mental & emotional aspects of what would make a person feel more male than female, and vice versa, instead of "Yep, penis = male, vagina = female"?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

perhaps no one has a problem with depicting humans switching into the form of an animal, robot, or other such thing because it is fantasy?

howabout we leave the sex change issue to be decided by informed adults, and not 2-11 year olds? the problem i have is a show revolving around a character changing sexes targeting that audience. let's condition kids to think that swapping their sex will give them superpowers! brilliant!! smh.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It's funny how people who support this are talking about tolerance, the ability to accept others etc.
And yet, just look at their comments in this thread. Disrespectful from the get-go.

The difference between a boy turning into a girl and a man turning into wolf (etc) is simple - one of them is kind of possible while the other is nonsense fairytale(s).

To the already emasculated Western male, this show does nothing more than supporting the notion that it's allright (and even cool and trendy) to be girly while being a male.
If you find such shows positive or educational, or if you don't have any problems if your child is given such ideas by the show, by all means watch it 'till your eyes bleed.

But when other people find the idea disgusting, you've got no moral right to start bashing them (and ironically, accuse them of 'intolerance'). We don't like the idea this show is projecting and it's our own damn business if we choose to ban such shows at our homes.

So far nobody has yelled for this show to be cancelled, people only stated they will not allow their children to watch it. Accept it.

Originally posted by Nyiah
Is gender identity that tied to genitals to you? Do you not think about the mental & emotional aspects of what would make a person feel more male than female, and vice versa, instead of "Yep, penis = male, vagina = female"?

I'm sorry buddy but unless you're talking about an extremely rare medical condition (I'll refrain from saying defect so you won't rage even more), a Penis means male and a Vagina means female. Scientifically, naturally, biologically unchallenged.
And non of that new age stuff about "my gender is what I feel it is" is even a legitimate counter argument.
edit on 31-5-2013 by InstantRemedy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

However, if you're going to be a small-minded backwoods yokel about a boy wearing pink or a girl wearing blue, there's a problem with your associations.

thank you for the insult. perhaps you should reread my post more closely and see where i said it was a cultural thing, not a moral issue, and that colors aren't inherently "male" or "female".

As far as I'm concerned, purple's as gender neutral as yellow or orange is than pink would have been.

your positions don't make sense because you call me names when i supposedly assigned colors to sex (i didn't. i merely pointed out that the cartoon encourages that), but then you claim that pink isn't a gender neutral color, but purple, yellow, and orange are.

What part of "gender identity doesn't necessarily match the crotch" did you flipping miss?? You went right for gender surgery here, which wasn't the point of gender identity. Is gender identity that tied to genitals to you? Do you not think about the mental & emotional aspects of what would make a person feel more male than female, and vice versa, instead of "Yep, penis = male, vagina = female"?

i didn't "miss" that part, i directly addressed it. if it is more a mental and emotional issue, then why do so many who feel that way get sex changes? furthermore the show isn't about a boy who gains superpowers by "feeling" like a girl or acting "girlish" but actually changing his sex, so your point doesn't apply to the scope of the show.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by InstantRemedy

And non of that new age stuff about "my gender is what I feel it is" is even a legitimate counter argument.

thank you sir, for your common sense! *inserts cliche response about common sense not being common*

but seriously, it is ludicrous for people to claim: i feel like i'm "x", but am "y"; therefore i am "x", NOT "y"

i feel like i'm an all powerful being and everyone is under my dominion, and i can do as i wish. *sarcasm* would ANYONE accept this as an explanation for any action? can someone's feelings dictate reality? no. it is crazy talk.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   

reply to post by Rocker2013

perhaps no one has a problem with depicting humans switching into the form of an animal, robot, or other such thing because it is fantasy?

howabout we leave the sex change issue to be decided by informed adults, and not 2-11 year olds? the problem i have is a show revolving around a character changing sexes targeting that audience. let's condition kids to think that swapping their sex will give them superpowers! brilliant!! smh.

Watching this cartoon makes your child no more likely to become a cross dresser, a transsexual or a transvestite than watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made you want to be a crime fighting reptile!
Did watching Power Rangers make you think that bright tights and a matching bike helmet would make you superhuman?
Of course it didn't! Why are you so quick to assume that your kids are more idiotic than you were at their age? Why do you seem to think that the next generation is MORE easily persuaded into things than you were?

Can you not understand the stupidity of your own argument?

You know what I think? I think this is all about ignorant parents who are incapable of communicating with their children and would rather force their offspring to conform to what THEY believe and think, without any external stimuli at all. I think this is about ignorant parents who probably don't know anything about anything and are terrified of being show up by the intelligence of their own kids. I think this is about religious parents wanting to force their kids into being "just like them" - ignorant, misinformed, uneducated.

These issues are only issues to the adults who have issues. Kids do not see these problems, they don't instinctively arrive into the world with moralistic and dictatorial religious views about others, they are not born with an ability to discriminate against people in any way. These things are learned.

If you are worried about having to explain diversity to your kids, that's a problem with YOU, not them or the society around them. You cannot change the world, you can only educate your children to be able to deal with it an succeed. Parents who want to prevent their children from ever seeing the real world are doing their children harm because they will then not be equipped to deal with that world.
edit on 31-5-2013 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Wonderful. So now banning shows which I think are unsuitable for my children is ignorant and uneducated. How tolerant of you.
This has nothing to do with religion. I'm not religious, and I will never support showing this cartoon to any child.

And were you really serious back there with the 'real world' stuff? Transexuals are not the real world. They exist, no doubt, but their identity is as real as a fake boob job. No offense.

Again - if you think nothing's wrong with this show then feel free to watch it. Nobody's stopping you, and nobody can!
But what makes you think you got the moral high ground to preach others about what they choose to show their children?
If I was advocating the removal of this show from TV I'd understand the argument. But I don't, nobody is. You're just arguing over something you think we should let our children watch, and we don't. You have absolutely no say in what I or anyone else choose not to show to our kids - vice versa.

My kid will think whatever he wants to think. However, I will not let him watch such shows untill he's at-least past puberty and realizes what he's watching and what are the subtexts. He'd probably switch channels anyway not long after the intro starts.

You guys that claim you used to cross-dress and wear makeup when you were young - whatever, but that's not something I'd like to see with my kids and I'm sure many agree with me.
edit on 31-5-2013 by InstantRemedy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
This is retarded.

Why they heck would any let a boy watch this? last thing i want is, he goes to his mom and ask to buy long boots and dress.

Even if the was born "normal male" he would be very feminine if he were to watch these growing up.

I understand curiousness, and i respect that, i remember my nephew asked to get nail polish because he saw hsis mom do it. But to force certain lifestyle thru a TV show which has a great influence on developing minds is a bit extreme.

This goes for Girls trying to be like guys, but i guess that is actually promoted. Go figure.

This is the next step to dumb TV dads.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's like when Zelda turned into Shiek!!

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm hoping that they portray the trans* community correctly and in a good light. I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Or possibly angry if they do a # job with it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join