It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'You Go Girl!' Cartoon network unveils new controversial transsexual character She-Zow!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Children's cable network The Hub, which is owned by Discovery and toy maker Hasbro is launching its latest cartoon aimed at ages two to 11 - about a gender-bending crime fighter named 'SheZow'.
The show's main character is a 12-year-old boy named Guy, who uses a magic ring to transform himself into his alter-ego - a girl wearing a purple skirt and white go-go boots.
And as if to emphasize the transgendered nature of the switch, Guy activates the ring, inherited from his aunt with the exclamation, 'You Go Girl!'.

I figured I could get some interesting responses if I posted this story.

I would be interested to see whether this character is transsexual (Like Ranma 1/2) or merely transgendered.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The title of this is misleading.

Also, even though gender bender cartoons are nothing new (in Japanese animation, at least) in this world, I do not find this to be remotely a good thing for a generation of American males that have been emasculated by feminism.

I would not allow a male child to watch this.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

WHao? Tranny super hero? Like Gem and the Misfitted....

---
Could this be the theme song?
A kind of magic
------

edit on 30-5-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Brainwashing for your children......Letting them know it's okay to be either male or female....Your choice because we can make it happen in today's messed up society!

Thanks for this news! I will make sure my daughter NEVER even thinks about turning this crap on!!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If there is something wrong with boys being identified as girls..

..what are we teaching our children about girls?

+1 more 
posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I find it interesting that people have no issue with shows that depict characters shapeshifting into animals, robots, demons, superheroes, weapons, gods, statues, vigilantes, mutants, aliens...but when its a gender switch, suddenly its an issue.

People really are nuts....
edit on 30-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

You're dripping sarcasm on my monitor.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Oh come on as a kid my mum was given a load of pink baby girl clothes and cos we were poor she dressed me in them

Everyone thought I was a girl did I turn transgender? nope.
This is about tolerance, to accept others who may be different...the younger kids can accept others for who they are the better in my book.

Looks cool and fun to me heck I may watch it

edit on 30-5-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   

What's the difference between a boy turning into a girl when he puts on a magic ring or a kid turning into a wolf or something else? Sometimes my grand daughter pretends she's "Mike the Knight" and sometimes she pretends she's a dinosaur, while other times she is Tinkerbelle or Dora the Explorer. Kids have vivid imaginations and pretend they are all sorts of characters. I think this is being sensationalized.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander

Also, even though gender bender cartoons are nothing new (in Japanese animation, at least) in this world, I do not find this to be remotely a good thing for a generation of American males that have been emasculated by feminism.

The title has to be used as per the link used, ATS rules.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

What's the difference between a boy turning into a girl when he puts on a magic ring or a kid turning into a wolf or something else? Sometimes my grand daughter pretends she's "Mike the Knight" and sometimes she pretends she's a dinosaur, while other times she is Tinkerbelle or Dora the Explorer. Kids have vivid imaginations and pretend they are all sorts of characters. I think this is being sensationalized.

I think you're right. However, if this had been a girl that turned into a boy superhero, I don't think the show would blip the radar at all.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

... I do not find this to be remotely a good thing for a generation of American males that have been emasculated by feminism. ...

Yeah, that's pretty much the point. They already take little boys and tell them that to be "normal" they have to sit in a chair all day, not squirm and act like little girls. If they don't do it, they dope them up.

Just more of the same.

And, I agree. Hell, I wouldn't let my female child watch it.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I find it interesting that people have no issue with shows that depict characters shapeshifting into animals, robots, demons, superheroes, weapons, gods, statues, vigilantes, mutants, aliens...but when its a gender switch, suddenly its an issue.

I think it's because people can't actually turn themselves into those if they feel the urge... Not that some haven't tried.

HUm an Barbie

Scroll to bottom, second one up (changed into cat)

A very ugly, ugly cat.

Our forefathers would have cried heresy.

I believe in gender rights, bla bla blah... This was created I bet simply to sell on the controversy.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Where have I seen this before....

Been around for a while. Some of the other famous Loony Tunes have done it too. I don't see a problem with it. I mean really how many girls dress up as boys and it seems perfectly alright to everyone. But Gods forbid a boy put on some girls clothes and it's the end of the world and values everywhere! Just hypocritical bs.

Do I think my son would watch this and think "Hey let me be a girl super hero!" not really. He would look at it and laugh because the kid got a bad deal and would see how the boy dealt with it.

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

That only applies in the BAN forum.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Children's cable network The Hub, which is owned by Discovery and toy maker Hasbro is launching its latest cartoon aimed at ages two to 11 - about a gender-bending crime fighter named 'SheZow'.
The show's main character is a 12-year-old boy named Guy, who uses a magic ring to transform himself into his alter-ego - a girl wearing a purple skirt and white go-go boots.
And as if to emphasize the transgendered nature of the switch, Guy activates the ring, inherited from his aunt with the exclamation, 'You Go Girl!'.

I figured I could get some interesting responses if I posted this story.

I would be interested to see whether this character is transsexual (Like Ranma 1/2) or merely transgendered.

Stuff like this has been going on for years, 'Captain Pugwash', 'The Magic Roundabout', 'Dr Who', 'Sesame street' What could be considered wrong nowadays is the need to have to use weird characters to be PC, it's destroying TV, the old children's programmes would have had a hint of humour that Adults could have a chuckle over too.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Well said. This show will not melt down the world. Japanese animation has played off these themes a lot, characters who switch genders or gender attributes due to some plot device. The science says that boys who are really boys won't switch gender identities due to a cartoon (or anything), and neither will girls who are really girls. But a certain small set of the population has always been transgendered, and like the boys and girls who are set in their identities, so are they. A show like this could give a lens for other children to understand these different individuals.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by smurfy

That only applies in the BAN forum.

That's where this thread should be.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Unless I pull down my pants or lift up my skirt who knows what gender I am? I think I am tolerant enough not to do spot checks and only care if a person is doing their job or getting along with other people and interestingly enough not taking advantage of their gender.

If you are dressing like woman to go into women's bathrooms to get a look or get off you are not Transgender you are pervert and at what point do we say that is acceptable?
edit on 30-5-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
We really restricted the amount of TV our kids could watch when they were little.
They turned out to be very successful adults.

Given how kids talk about the shows they do watch, I don't think that many little boys would watch a TV show where the main character turns into a girl. Just my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join