It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 day solo adventure on North Atlantic rock set to begin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I thought this was pretty cool so thought i'd share, sorry mods if this is in the wrong place.

Nick Hancock, a former British Army officer cadet is going to spend 60 days on the small uninhabited islet of Rockall in the North Atlantic.

Hancock is planning to beat two records for occupying Rockall, an islet just 25 metres wide and 18 metres high, a tooth-shaped granite fragment from a Paleocene era volcano: the 42 days set by three Greenpeace campaigners in 1997 and the 40-day solo record set in 1985 by the SAS veteran Tom McClean

The converted water tank, nicknamed the rockpod by Hancock, will be anchored to a narrow strip called Hall's Ledge, barely 3.5m by 1.3m wide.

Powered by a small wind turbine and a portable solar panel, the Rockpod will be Hancock's home, store house and refuge until early August – if all goes to plan.

Location of Rockall -

Rockall during 1943 storm

Rockall in 2005

More information on Rockall

He hopes to break 2 existing records for occupying the rock and in the process raise money for the Charity Help For Heroes.

Here is the link to the article I found Source

Hopefully everything goes to plan and he is successful.

King

edit on 30/5/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/5/2013 by kingears because: added rockall wikipedia link

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm assuming he is going to have a supply of food and water.
I would be more impressed if he were left on an island with no food and water.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EmmortalKorrupta

Yes he will have food and water, I think it would be pretty much impossible otherwise.

King

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingears

Yes he will have food and water, I think it would be pretty much impossible otherwise.

King

That's my point. Seems like the only challenge is sitting on a rock.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by kingears

Occupy wall-street, Occupy London, Occupy Rockall. Seems fine to me

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmmortalKorrupta

King

If its just as simple as sitting on a rock then why don't you go and do the same

Did you read the article? Look at the pictures? I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desolate rock in the ocean for 2 months, plus the main reason behind him doing this is for CHARITY.

He's hardly living it up on a desert island in a nice warm equatorial climate.

King

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

He hopes to break 2 existing records for occupying the rock and in the process raise money for the Charity Help For Heroes.

As I was reading this; I kept thinking why would anyone do this? And...you explained at least one of his reasons; he is going to raise money for charity; which to me is a very good reason!

Edit: Here is a quote from the (source) provided; and some other reasons why he is doing this.

"Although he plans some modest scientific experiments and sample collecting for the Hunterian museum in Glasgow and St Andrews university, Hancock says the main purpose of his expedition is selfish: he wants to test his physical and mental endurance, to push himself. In the summer months, the waves will regularly top five metres, with 40 knot (46mph) winds, with storms lasting several days. "It probably is an eccentric thing to take on but therein lies the challenge," he said before he left Edinburgh. "It's probably more a mental challenge than a physical one. Am I as self-reliant as I think I am?""

He has a need to test himself on his survival skills.

edit on 30-5-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you for adding more details
I tried my best on my mobile phone but could of done better

King

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Thank you for adding more details
I tried my best on my mobile phone but could of done better

King

You are welcome! I find this story of survival very interesting; I do hope he makes it.

I am thinking too...day in and day out...out there on the vast ocean..no other humans around...I am wondering if his perception of time will change; will he sleep well; will there be a time while he is there...that he will regret deciding to do this...and want to go home.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

The article says that he has a fully loaded e-reader so he should be able to keep his mind active without thinking to much about the isolation and homesickness, although I think the isolation would be all consuming and unavoidable.

I wonder how many times he will use the satellite phone to call his family? In my opinion that would be the worst thing he could do, as he will probably start getting homesick. I found my time serving in Iraq in 2003 was OK until I rang home and then that was all I could think about.

Hopefully he doesn't lose his marbles and befriend an inanimate object and name it, Wilson anyone?

King

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Two more useful links...

The Official Website with Blog

His Twitter Account

11 hours ago was the last message...

Nick Hancock ‏@RockallNick
That's us away from Leverburgh, 12-15 hours to #Rockall due to head winds. Might be last Tweet before confirm success or failure tomorrow!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thank you for your contribution
Can i add your links to the OP?

King

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Pretty Amazing.

This is a challenge to survival most don't consider: isolation and the mind.

Me? The rock is fine. No people is fine. Buuuuuutttt.... I would really need something to do. I would need to be engaged in something (counting bird poop stains?) or I would not make it. Just sitting there would make the days never end and my brain short circuit.

I sure hope this dude has a plan. Thanks for the post.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
From twitter...

Nick Hancock ‏@RockallNick 58m
Not sure where info came from but we were not going for 2nd attempt tomorrow due to weather & fact of not enough fuel to go back out again

Nick Hancock Nick Hancock ‏@RockallNick 2h
Just back in comms & not great news, no success with landing due to swell & no clear window in near future. Will assess options and review

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thanks for the update

Apologies for being a bit slack, my wife is due to give birth any day, so things are a bit hectic at the moment.

King

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
UPDATE- Due to large swells, they have been forced to abandon the challenge. Such a shame, I was looking forward to following his adventure. Fingers crossed for his next attempt, whenever that may be.

King
edit on 1/6/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EmmortalKorrupta

King

If its just as simple as sitting on a rock then why don't you go and do the same

Did you read the article? Look at the pictures? I wouldn't want to be stuck on a desolate rock in the ocean for 2 months, plus the main reason behind him doing this is for CHARITY.

He's hardly living it up on a desert island in a nice warm equatorial climate.

King

True enough but if it was in the depths of winter it would truly be a feat of feats, it's getting into summer now you know.

posted on Jun, 6 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

^ Looks like he'll break the record for most amount of bird poop on a human too.

join