It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under The Dome

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
So i didnt read evryone's post but has anyne said yet who they think caused the dome to be there?? and was Chester's Mill's picked randomly or was it picked on purpose?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Are you sure Big Jim is a total bad guy?? He let Angie go. and told his crazy son to hit the road. He obviously cared for Rose. the owner of the diner. It is hard for me to figure him out maybe he is just an alpha leader type that is just trying to step up and do whatever is neccessary to protect his people and town.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Has to be aliens or supernatural, it's the only explanation that fits...magic or ultra high tech, since our military can't even dent it.

As for Jim, I think you have it right with the alpha leader bit. He seems to be one of those guys that is concerned more for the town as a whole than himself...and sure, maybe a bit concerned about his place as leader of it. Still...SOMEONE has to step up, and nobody else is rushing to volunteer.

Barbi's plan was pretty dumb. As soon as the bullets flew, the need for it was gone. So, if he guessed wrong (and last I checked, he wasn't a geologist), now they are screwed for water. Jim's way, they'd still have the well. Barbi should have kept it as a backup in case they lost the gun battle, but that is IT.

Personally, if I was a farmer there, I'd put the townies to work in the field while sitting in my AC and sipping lemonade, but that's just me I suppose.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Spoiler

Presuming the guy you all call "Big Jim" is that councilman ...

TV version - Barbi's way was the right way and the town reservoir was restored and the psychopath Big Jim got 5 people killed for nothing. Big Jim has been glowing his evil aura since the beginning. I don't see how any can believe he's a good guy? He's a murderer, a sleezeball, a conman, a control-freak and it's all about himself. A sociopath, a psychopath, all rolled into one.

Aliens? Stephen King? Yep, Deux al Machina. Sounds about his style.

edit on 13/8/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I haven't watched this yet so can anyone tell me if this is a faithful adaptation of the book? You can tell me all the spoilers.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by kaitain

Everyone who's read the book says no...way different....

As for Big Jim, not sure how he is in the book, but so far (on the TV show), he's killed only the same folks I would have in his shoes...and his only crime beyond that seems to be all the drug business that has been alluded to. (and even that seems to be to finance the town)....

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Spoiler

reply to post by kaitain

All the spoilers? Hopefully others will fill in more of the story for you. I missed one show; but, here's a brief run-down on that councilman who seems to be the center, arch-villain of the show on TV. If there's any drug-dealing going on, I missed that. So, a few spoilers here.

1st show we find out he and others are involved with some propane storage deal and that they KNEW something and that they CONSPIRED something or other with the propane hoarding. The Chief of Police who had a pace-maker (brother of the good girl cop) was threatened by the councilman when he wanted to tell the town about whatever the hoarding secret was. Councilman said an accident would happen to his ticker. An accident DID happen to his ticker, the glass wall shorted it out. (This was a 'foreshadowing' story-telling device.)

Another show, a crazy preaching guy who was in on the secret was hearing "MOAB" in his hearing aide. As everybody on ATS knows, that's Mother-of-all-Bombs, but, to the preaching guy it meant a biblical city and he was doing the end-of-the-world stereotypical, evangelizing. He had changed his ways so to speak and wanted to tell the town about the secret. The councilman didn't want the secret told and flat out murdered the preaching dude by shoving his ear against the glass wall. They knew full well by this time that the wall would kill peeps with electrical devices. The councilman cold-blooded killed the crazy preaching dude and walked away without a hint of remorse or guilt.

The councilman's son is as evil and crazy as his father; but, in a different way. The son had abducted the apple-of-his eye and had her locked prisoner in the family fallout shelter, ankle-chained to the bed. The councilman found the girl in the basement shelter and left her locked inside when she told him that his son had put her there.

Well, during that later MOAB show - where the US nukes the glass-like dome (which isn't glass by the way because water goes through the wall) ... China had been pressuring the US, thinking we had some new dangerous technology. The dome was disturbing butterfly (and other creatures) electro-magnetic sense used for navigation. So, the dome was a threat to the outside as well as those inside. Anyway, when it was time for the bomb to go off, the townspeople went into a huge underground area (makeshift shelter) and the councilman released the girl prisoner ONLY because he thought it was the end of the world for their town inside the dome. The nuke didn't affect the dome at all though.

Last night's show - there's this redneck,suburban farmer who owns all the town's water source. In a previous show, they saw the fish dead in the river because of a methane release when the dome "came down." So, it had been determined that this farmer's artesian well was the only water source left - even though rain works okay in the town. So, the councilman takes volunteers up to take the farmer's land and water using immenent domain by-laws to grow veggies for the town. Barbi on the other hand, with some questions of the good lady cop, had determined there had once been more artesian wells in the town, and a town reservoir as well. All had dried up when the redneck farmer dug his own well though. So, Barbi presented his idea to the councilman - to blow up the redneck's well and that would re-divert all the city water back to the way it USED to be naturally. The councilman thought it was risky to blowup the only remaining water-source and he had equally as good a point as Barbi. So, BOTH plans were enacted simultaneously; but, the councilman didn't know Barbi was blowing up the waterwell. The councilman took armed locals up there and got 3 of them killed in a firefight. Two on the farmer's side were killed too. But, in the end, Barbi's trick worked and the city reservoir was filled again.

Somebody else can tell you about the egg stories.
edit on 13/8/2013 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

If there's any drug-dealing going on, I missed that.

The propane stockpile was obviously to cook up some drugs...or at least I think that was what was discovered in the old cement factory when Jr. and the reporter went there. I can't recall if they said it outright though. It's also the only way I can see the town profiting from so much propane.

As for Jim being evil (at least in the show)...just not seeing it. Jr? Sure, he's just nuts....but Jim? Why is he evil, because he killed someone? By that logic, the "hero" Barbi is a villain also (and a mob enforcer). Had Jim not killed the preacher, he would have had folks doing a mass suicide in days.

But, in the end, Barbi's trick worked and the city reservoir was filled again.

I must have missed them showing this worked....but of course, for the story to go on, it must....
edit on 14-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Alright ..... now I'm sure .... the book and the series are not the same.
Same characters ... same setting ... different stories .....

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well, I'm sorry I haven't been back since starting this.
I'm afraid I haven't been able to watch more than the first three episodes.
From what I have been reading on here, maybe that is a good thing? I'm afraid I tend to get a wee bit miffed when they change to much, and I really had high hopes, with it being 13 episodes, that they could hold true to the book.

Of course, when it comes out on DVD, I will buy it then, so I can yell at the t.v. in private.

So, if you read the book, and are watching the whole thing, are you disappointed? Is it still good, even being so different?

Wait! What the heck? A second season? Ppppffffffff. Figures! Milk that cow Mr. King.

edit on 27-8-2013 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
After this last episode, Big Jim is firmly a "bad guy", as he almost shot the "hero" Barbie. At least he did kill the mob chick though, I mean, she really had it coming. I at least agreed with him there.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

True that. I'm still trying to figure out Junior. Supremely evil in the book yet here it's much different. He kidnaps Angie and is still messing with her yet if he's connected to the egg one would almost have to think he's a "good guy".

I do think the show as a whole is more entertaining than just a straight rehash of the book. I was sure that Barbie was going to get arrested, setting up that whole story line and yet that didn't happen, yet. Cool show, miles above all the crappy "reality" shows and the endless stream of cop shows that, truthfully, are starting to piss me off.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheSpanishArcher

I think Junior is portrayed as both a bad guy and a victim. He's the guy we love to hate. While "Big Jim" is still a "bad guy"...so far, the ONLY thing I would have done differently is Barbi. I would have kept him close and used him as a tool (as he had until then)....without getting him fully against me.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
So, if you read the book, and are watching the whole thing, are you disappointed? Is it still good, even being so different?

They got rid of a multiple murderer having sex with dead bodies. So I'm happy.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I was in an area where Time Warner pulled CBS programming or CBS pulled programming fm Time Warner, whichever side you want to believe. Everyone was saying it would be restored when football season was ready to start anyway, which they did.

So i'm just getting caught up. I'm about to watch this past Monday's episode.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Bumping the thread because the series will be back on in just a few weeks. I hope they reshow the other episodes first so it'll remind folks of where they left off.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

They got rid of a multiple murderer having sex with dead bodies. So I'm happy.

Yes, they did. So different from the book (I read the hard cover ..it crushed my chest while reading in bed lol!! big book!!)

Watching the series is like a whole new take on the story.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Glad to see it coming back. I think I'll need to rewatch the last episode to have a clue....

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Just ordered season 1 of the show, very excited! Have anyone read the book then the show? I have the book atm and have been thinking to read it first then watch.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
My wife read the book, and from what she said, it's really like two different stories, just with same character names, and some of the same basic events. Personally, I like seeing the show/movie, THEN reading the book, so I'm not disappointed.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join