It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder calls for Off-The-Record media meeting; Media balks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Holder runs into roadblocks on off-the-record meetings on leaks

Road blocks? The last time they had roadblocks like this to an issue, I believe the word quarantine was more appropriate. It's dead on arrival and a non-starter by the reaction.

Washington (CNN) - Attorney General Eric Holder's plans to sit down with media representatives to discuss guidelines for handling investigations into leaks to the news media have run into trouble.

The Associated Press issued a statement Wednesday objecting to plans for the meetings to be off the record. "If it is not on the record, AP will not attend and instead will offer our views on how the regulations should be updated in an open letter," said Erin Madigan White, the AP's media relations manager.

Now this would be funny to even see suggested by a man like Holder, if the circumstances weren't so serious. He wants to meet with the Press....in strict secrecy...to discuss the secrecy of information and how best the Press can handle it going forward? Am I reading this right???

A Justice Department official said Wednesday the sessions would be off the record to encourage a full exchange of ideas.

President Barack Obama directed the attorney general to review guidelines for investigations involving leaks to the media and said Holder would be meeting with journalists to get their views.
Source

Well, at least we won't have to debate the origin or level of the directives that started it this time. That part isn't secret.

In addition to Associated Press, The New York Times has refused participation as has Huffington Post under these conditions.

Holder *NEEDS* to understand something. He isn't some "fair broker" of truth and justice. In the eyes of many in the public and media? He *IS THE* suspect here. So his efforts to 'guide' and 'shape' coverage aren't taken as gentle guidance from a caring Government, seeking accuracy. It's covering his butt in a way I don't believe the United States has ever had the pleasure of seeing top officials do with such nerve, right out in open view. (Of course...the attempt was to be open. The details? Strictly secret..shhh....)

It's incredible to watch the efforts to bring the 4th Estate into the 'fold' as something akin to a U.S. Information Agency. The Admin just doesn't get it. The Media is there to BIRD DOG them....not sing their praises. They're there to keep them honest...not help them lie.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I wish they'd just come out, and say hey guys we rule with an iron fist now no more democracy no more republic.
Then we could see how many would really stand for there rights, and I would have something interesting to do.

Off the record to discuss how the media should get the truth? They might as well tell us we've lost our freedom.
I'm most disturbed that the media is fighting this instead of playing the game. It really makes you wonder if things aren't moving to fast, and the government TPTB whatever you wish to call them hadn't finally slipped up.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The press should demand full disclosure of the voter fraud ,black panthers,fast and furious, ap spying, fox news, scandals before even setting down for an on the record meeting.this all has gotten way out of hand whose going to hold this guy or his boss accountable.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
An off-the-record, behind -closed-doors meeting with the highest office of law enforcement in the most transparent administration of all time. Sounds like a clever strategy/desperate attempt to avoid being dragged into the street and beaten without mercy.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I always thought that the way people just go around asking the press to "keep it off the record" to an organization that makes it's living by putting everything " on the record" was oh so foolish.

I'm not even sure if these people could even do such a thing. I can picture one of them trying, blowing up like a balloon, while turning blue, and then just spilling everything they know before they explode.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Outstanding find, Wrabbit! I'm always five minutes (at least) in
back of the wave, but it counts so much to see it here, and thanks again.

Transparency has reached a brand new opacity. I simply can't believe
how overtly wrong this was for Holder to even bring it onto the table... I'm
still waiting for the AP Washington crew to flip the table upside and onto
his lap. "Wear this.. pretend it's an Ipad."

After reading all the way through the thread so far, I saw one concern
'voiced' that things may be moving too fast.
I'm all for it, the Bamadministration can't grow fingers fast enough for the
dike now, and if we're lucky the massive truth will flush that toilet... it needs
one. Per AJ's style, the bird cage liner is going to rip three years ago
from this load. And I'm fresh out of waterin' credits for the month.

Rappaport may be paraphrased--"Suppressing the truth is like trying to
keep a fully inflated beach ball completely underwater."
Arms getting a little sore gents? Just maybe a 4th march won't be necessary...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Government needs a new branch
The Morality dept.
Every time the gov does something immoral or anti constitutional
the Morality department arrests the culprits and tries them for it.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Holder is amongst the highest ranking law enforcement officers in the nation and somehow he (Ob) thinks anything discussed "off the record" will be relegated to "off the record"? OMF'nG.

If he leaks it, who will prosecute him? The Senate? That will take years, given how quickly things happen.

Obama just issues a "Presidential Pardon" and Holder's clean.

NOPE!

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Does anyone else smell that?

I spent the first 30 some years of my life never once believing I'd ever see these kinds of things going on in the United States.

Something stinks so bad I can't even think of anything to compare it to.

And you know what? I think the corruption runs so deep and is so complete that if these people actually fail at their goals, it will have to be having the inability to conceal the sheer size of it all.
edit on 3-6-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

top topics

join