It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman finds a man flying a drone outside her home. Is it legal?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

What would you do in this situation?

At first I would politely tell him not to bring that drone inside my property . If he disagrees with me , I would call the police

So was the drone operator right when he insisted that it was legal for him to fly above this woman’s yard?

No . He is violating her constitutional right i.e Right to Property

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

You are 100% right. But by using the perv's logic against him is the key.. Example - never shown the main intent of any counter 'attack' to the alleged drone. If she does the laser counter, she should beam it randomly in a safe direction before zapping the drones optic. Some optics will 'see' the laser, so his proof to the police will show your cover story of just playing with the laser.

Each situation can be staged in your favor, especially if you do it on your property. The perv will have to prove, probably by many hours of his videos, that you attacked his drone maliciously... All the while, you record yourself playing randomly with your counter attack. This many hours of harmless playtime will be the basis of your defense.

Use the pervs logic of 'its not illegal' against him. Show your playful videos, let the perv show his creepy 'want to peep into your window' vids and how he is doing nothing wrong.

Once she uses a counter against the drone, all recorded by her, she needs to be compassionate towards the 'victim' and shout from her winders that she is concerned about his toys well being. Always claiming that it was accidental and always questioning his intent of having the drone over and near her property.

Calling the LEOs before hand will just enable a case of your malice towards him, especially if the LEOs side with the perf.

Sometimes playing dumb works....especially if the defendant is a female.

My 2 cents in this matter.

I would have just tossed a hammock and snared the drone. Reeling it in. Waiting for the tard to call the cops to show his evidence. Explain to the cops that this guy was trying to spy on my daughter and that he even tried to entice her to come over to watch movies. When the judge released him, I'd send him a candygram.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

If there is a Camera attached what the heck else are we supposed to call them?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
as a drone owner i have thought about this many a time. what keeps me from doing this is, would i want it done to me? absolutely not people want their privacy and they are entitled to it. i am a hobbiest and yes i have a drone but its used for incredible video from high up in the air and for fun. all these people are ruining a perfectly innocent thing. so fly ur drones but be responsible.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

I think it should be equally legal to capture or break said drone.
Get a light fiber fishing net (heck even string with weight on either end and throw it at the drone, get a slingshot, or a pellet gun and do some target practice.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You know, an airsoft gun can take out one of those wannabe drones, let someone fly it on my property

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I have a radio controlled "toy" helicopter (very popluar with hobbyists) that has a small a camera. The wife uses it to film festivals. And you cant even SEE the camera its so small.

Is that a DRONE now?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

and another....

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
There are as many of these and even more hobby airplanes....

So now then...should the boxes they come in be relabled as "DRONES"????

edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

“Drone” is a word coined by the press to simplify reporting to the lowest common denominator.
The FAA gives specific labels to different types of “Unmanned aircraft”:

FAA: UAS FAQ
What is an unmanned aircraft system (UAS)?
A UAS is the unmanned aircraft (UA) and all of the associated support equipment, control station, data links, telemetry, communications and navigation equipment, etc., necessary to operate the unmanned aircraft.

The UA is the flying portion of the system, flown by a pilot via a ground control system, or autonomously through use of an on-board computer, communication links and any additional equipment that is necessary for the UA to operate safely. The FAA issues an experimental airworthiness certificate for the entire system, not just the flying portion of the system.

Do I need to get approval from the FAA to fly a model aircraft for recreation?
No. FAA guidance does not address size of the model aircraft. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be kept below 400 feet above ground level (AGL), should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, and are not for business purposes. 1, 2

What is the difference between an Unmanned Aircraft (UA), a Remotely Operated Aircraft (ROA), a Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV), and an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle?
Currently the FAA and most of the international community uses the term "UA" or "UAS" for UA System. Previously used terms to identify unmanned aircraft are ROA, RPV, and UAV.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

RC items and drones both walk a very fine line nowadays.

When you put a camera on your RC device it can fall under the UAV category. UAVs are put in the same category as a drone. By definition alone (Websters), your RC craft is a drone.

All UAVs work off of RC tech. YOUR helo is a drone by simple definition.

The word drone has evolved.... Get with the times.

Drones breach or encroach the limits...while an RC device doesn't. Traditional RC devices are toys that cannot be used in a way other than pure fun. Once YOU perverse its main function, it becomes a drone. This is the part where you state silly 'my RC devices are for pure fun' or 'I can use my RC to dive bomb and harass you at will.'

Play the name game....it's the Merican way.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
It appears that the FAA classifies them by who is flying them, and what their intended purpose is. If its flown by a government agency, research organization, or a “for profit” commercial enterprise, they must get an experimental certification through the FAA. Hobbyists don't have to, but are more limited in the airspace they are allowed to operate in.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Im more with the times than you are.

I assumed too much thinking my point should be simple enough for even you to understand....youre stating that now-a-days...

*a "UFO" is now interpreted as only an occupied spaceship or saucer that's flying...
*an "ALIEN" is not from over the Mexican border illegally...but only little green-greys from the extraterrestrial ether...
*the ILLUMINATI" and "TPTB"...are to be considered as a single group in one secret room somewhere governing their "NWO-New World Order"..

*and now a "DRONE" is what a little boy in a park flies with his dad on Sundays...

Perhaps Ive made myself clearer to you? Then again.......

edit on 05/05/13 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Seems like an easy problem to solve with a little fishing line. Run a few strands across your own yard when the neighbor is gone. Next time he tries to fly that RC helicopter near your windows, he's gonna get a surprise. Just remember to leave enough slack to wrap the rotor when the helicopter hits it.
edit on 2-6-2013 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Your self served crusade to defend an RC toy that has a camera attached as a mere recreational vehicle is dumb.

Once you put a camera on it and spy on others, then yes it is a drone. People like you are the ones peeping into ladies windows and stating you are within the law.

A toy RC device is for fun, once you place that camera to full fill your dark perversions, it becomes a tool of sickos.

Maybe you are more with the times, as my generation wouldn't even think that an RC device with a camera is legit. I'd expect to get my butt kicked if I did whatever you feel you needed to do. You can state 'by definition this or that', but we all know what you are capable of.

Summers in session, go get your creep on.

The OPs story with the lady is what we all get to look forward too? Not in my neighborhood. We aren't sickos. Local LEOs wouldn't stand by it either. Legal or not, it's creepy as heck.

My intentions isn't to offend, but if I do, then you are a creep.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
get a super soaker go down to the operator,drench him and his controller,then take the drone inside after it falls and photograph it ,sell it on Ebay.

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The AMA and the FAA are working it out already. It has been a drawn out heated battle, and a waste of taxpayer money. People are so afraid of something differing from their own little circle of knowledge, that they rush to immediate judgment.

Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand. -Neil Peart

amablog.modelaircraft.org...
edit on 3-6-2013 by zayonara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This afternoon, a stranger set an aerial drone into flight over my yard and beside my house near Miller Play field. I initially mistook its noisy buzzing for a weed-whacker on this warm spring day. After several minutes, I looked out my third-story window to see a drone hovering a few feet away. My husband went to talk to the man on the sidewalk outside our home who was operating the drone with a remote control, to ask him to not fly his drone near our home.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

has to be above 2000 feet AGL, if there's a structure.....and 2500 feet laterally......
above 500 feet AGL in general.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It is funny that a RC kit airplane is now labeled "drone" come on people geez....

As to the legality of it all I would say that if it is legal to take pictures it is legal to take pictures from a kit RC airplane too.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join