It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA - Reloaded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
So, 1 year and 2 days ago - I made a post regarding a visit from a USDA inspector. You can read that exchange here:
USDA inspector visited my house this morning

This morning, it happened again. The same questions were asked, along with a few new ones.

What kinds of livestock do you have, and how many: 7 chickens and 40 quail (she was careful to get these numbers right)
What were your livestock sales last year: $0 - we don't sell anything
What crops do you have: No crops, small garden
What were your crop sales last year: $0 - we don't sell anything
What kind of internet do you have: Unreliable, overpriced, and slow (this was new)
Do you purchase supplies or equipment for your "farm operation" online: We don't have an operation, just a few animals for personal use (this was new)

Again, I questioned why we were targeted by the USDA. The inspector didn't know why we were on her list. I explained that I had recently received the USDA farm census, followed by a threat of prosecution if I failed to fill it out. She said that nobody has ever been prosecuted. I still don't like being threatened - especially by government.

The whole thing bothers me. They know I'm not a commercial "operation", not only from my statements - but from the minuscule numbers of animals I have. If I were to sell eggs - I might have enough production to make $50 a week. If I were to sell birds - I might have enough to get a one-time $200. My tiny 25'x50' garden produces very little.

So why are they so interested in me? Why are they interested in other locals who have equally small numbers? Why is it so important to keep track of every scrap of potential food?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
My bet...Mosanto is behind it somewhere. You are potentially a competitor of natural product. If enough people like you got together and formed a co-op you might just upset the profit margins by sheer numbers alone you could keep the price of organic food low enough for the populace to shop you rather than the local grocery stores. So they're going to keep tabs on you plain and simple.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. USDA lady sounds like she's just doing her job and hopefully they would eventually stop following orders if things got worse. That's actually really scarry to think that you can't even own your own stuff anymore without being targeted for a census on your property. Good for you for being self sufficient and I've been threatened as well to fill out forms or be prosecuted. Not for the same reason but it angers me and they get a note about it usually. Is this just going to keep getting worse? When will people just say enough already? What will it take?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Its not rocket science.
In the not so far off future the world will be brought to its knees through lack of food (Planned). We will be expected to beg for their help.
Those with a food supply will be targeted before this happens, especially if there is enough of you to support others.
The way to fight it is EVERYONE should start growing food NOW!!!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That's actually the reason my wife and I have chosen to become more self sufficient. We spend a lot of time and effort identifying our own shortcomings and taking steps to remedy them. Unfortunately, we feel insecure because the gov knows we have these provisions.

There are certain lists that I want to stay off of, and USDA is one of them. My name is now on that list, so I can't even move without that following me. My only recourse is to put more effort into food stores, and to have an off-site location for food storage, a very dangerous plan.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

I don't hold it against the inspector. She seemed (both times) to be confused by our presence on her list. We don't qualify for any classification of a commercial operation, but she was required to perform her inspection simply because we were on her list.

She's just following orders, and as long as those orders aren't obviously nefarious she'll probably continue to follow them. I suspect that most government workers are like this.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stutteringp0et
My only recourse is to put more effort into food stores, and to have an off-site location for food storage, a very dangerous plan.

Doesn't that speak volumes about the wicked world we live in!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Why are YOU informing the Federal Government you own a couple birds?

There's your problem. Get rid of them..NOW! Do not have 1 farm animal outside.

If your house has a basement, keep your birds down there.

The Government is plotting something against you...get rid of anything outside your home NOW!

If it's "inside" your home you can claim them as "pets". Anything outside and they are going to do something against you.

Move your operation inside and claim them as "pets". NOW!!!!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

House isn't that big. Besides, have you ever smelled chicken/quail manure? It's horrible! By allowing my chickens to free-range, I only need to buy chicken feed during the winter.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
the reason they do this is because people that grow their own food, have sold it to other people that got sick or even died from it. I personally want the USDA doing their job, and all they did was ask questions...I don't know why this makes you so paranoid...99.9 % of the time, regulations are put in, because someone got hurt by not having them.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I don't sell anything, never have, and never will. To be a successful poultry operation, you must have hundreds of chickens or thousands of quail. I have less than 50 of both combined. Everyone who eats the birds or eggs lives under my roof.

Sending an inspector to my house is a waste of time and resources - that I pay for! After going through the same interview last year, determining that I'm not a commercial operation - they did it again this year. And they threatened prosecution if I didn't participate in the USDA census...

This is about identifying resources.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by stutteringp0et
reply to post by jimmyx

I don't sell anything, never have, and never will. To be a successful poultry operation, you must have hundreds of chickens or thousands of quail. I have less than 50 of both combined. Everyone who eats the birds or eggs lives under my roof.

Sending an inspector to my house is a waste of time and resources - that I pay for! After going through the same interview last year, determining that I'm not a commercial operation - they did it again this year. And they threatened prosecution if I didn't participate in the USDA census...

This is about identifying resources.

It could also have to do with information being gathered so organizations such as the CDC knows what's in the area in case a bird flu or something breaks out.

Like you said, your hardly big enough for anyone to worry about.

I'd start to worry if they begin telling you what you can and cannot do or start removing your animals or tear up your garden.

All they did was ask you some questions.

top topics

join