It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diet soda as bad for teeth as meth, dentists prove

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I am properly addicted to diet coke
ive been drinking at least 2 litres a day for the last ten years. I really must stop drinking it!

My teeth, although not too bad have lost a lot of enamel over the last few years, I brush a lot and use pro enamel toothpastes etc, thats good advice about using a straw, I will do that until i can kick the habit, im currently day 3 into giving up cigarettes so one thing at a time lol.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Nobody has mentioned the ph of these drinks. both diet and regular sodas are basically water mixed with malic acid. No wonder it destroys teeth. No-one would drink sweetened vinegar but I suppose it might have a chance with the kind of marketing Coca cola has.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

The source article mentions the PH. I believe they compare the PH balances between the sodas and the other substances that were mentioned.

But Dr. Eugene Antenucci, a spokesman for the Academy of General Dentistry, said he has seen the effects of diet soda in many addicts, and explained that some of them experienced “very deep brown stains, where it’s actually eroded into the tooth, and the teeth are soft and leathery.”

Most diet soda consumers will never see such effects, but to ensure clean and healthy teeth, Antenucci advises that they wash away the acidity of the substance with water after drinking soda, brushing their teeth at least twice daily and drinking in moderation.

Diet soda – like crack coc aine and meth – is highly acidic, which wears away enamel and causes teeth to become susceptible to cavities. Colas, for example, have erosive potential 10 times that of fruit juice, according to a previous 2007 study published in General Dentistry. This study found that teeth immersed in Coke, Pepsi, RC Cola, Squirt, Surge, 7 Up and Diet 7 Up lost more than five percent of their weight, due to enamel erosion. The most acidic soft drink studied at the time was RC Cola, which had a pH of 2.387. Cherry Coke had a pH level of 2.522 and Coke had a pH level of 2.525. Battery acid, in comparison, has a pH level of 1.0, and pure water has a pH level of 7.0.

Yucky stuff man

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Nobody has mentioned the ph of these drinks

The OP article references the acidity aspect.

Although, good point on regular vs. diet. I'm not sure why the article singles out diet sodas. Maybe because they are more addictive (?)

Regular Coke (2.525) is more acidic than Diet Coke(3.289)

Source

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I only drink Cola Because the Water tastes Like ASH where I'm living because of the PasMinco Suphide Smelter Too much LEAD in the Drinking water it is still BLACK and GREEN at Pasminco

Pasminco History

I remember as a kid I used to see Pasminco's exhuast pipes Bellowing with Grey smoke Heaps of it!

I don't have any Pictures of it from that time though!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
See I was under the impression that effects of meth on teeth were sort of a myth. What actually causes the problem, "meth mouth", is the grinding of the teeth and improper hygiene. The drug itself doesn't actually cause much physical damage to the teeth. Unlike soda which directly damages the teeth.

edit on 30-5-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

They both # ur # up ghost.

Don't be a fool.

LOL at the tooth melting advocates in this thread.

Carry on...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fr33kSh0w2012

Instead of poisoning yourself try to just get a 5 gallon jar 15$ish plus 5 gallons reverse osmosis water for 25 to 40c a gallon from most grocery stores. If not costco usually has RO machines for 150$ so does amazon..

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
diet soda can be very addictive, my roommate is addicted to diet pepsi...no joking matter.....If I remember wasn't regular mountain dew found to cause the most cavities (out of all the regular sweetened sodas)

worst then regular soda was gatorade, lower in sugar but caused more cavities!

I don't understand how anyone drinks diet pepsi. or any other of these diet drinks.

The only one i can drink is diet rite cola because its the only one with splenda.

Aspartame to me is bitter and undrinkable and there new ingredient acesulfame potassium only makes it worse.

By the way even if it was drinkable i have fibromyalgia and anything with Aspartame increases my pain.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

As someone who is 51 years old, and been drinking diet pepsi regularly (excessively, according to a few)
since I was 25, I have had little to no problems with any teeth other than ones I'd had filled prior to that time.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

They both # ur # up ghost.

Don't be a fool.

LOL at the tooth melting advocates in this thread.

Carry on...

Did I say either of them were good, or not bad for you in general? I was denying one specific piece of information that isn't actually true and is a common misconception.

You're the fool.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I'm not even slightly surprised as the attraction of carbonated drinks is the 'tang' of the carbonic acid and we all know what acids can do to just about anything in the body given enough exposure time. Eliminating sugar is only a very partial solution to the problem of tooth decay.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

While the study parameters are weak, the science has been solid on the conclusions here for a long time. There is further science which would probably indicate a greater problem with aspartame soda than sugar soda, and even corn syrup soda. Aspartame apparently has a knack for leaching nutrients from the body, quite possibly leading to weakening teeth and damaging gums, beyond the acid effects alone.

Beyond all that, part of "meth mouth" (in fact, a big part of it) has more to do with the addict not keeping up with oral hygiene - there's more important things to do, of course, like turning tricks by the dumpster, so they can get more meth, so they can stay awake to turn more tricks by the dumpster (repeat, repeat, repeat.) or another way to look at it, meth users might typically brush their teeth before bed and after waking up, like most of us do. The problem is, that might only be once a week. They also crave sweet foods more than the average person - I don't know why that is.

Point being...does diet coke make people forget (or not care) to brush their teeth? Or eat only snickers bars for a week straight? I think the fact that the answer to that is "no", is even more damning to the diet soda. Not more damning than meth use in general LOL, but meaning it has to be REALLY freaking bad for your teeth to trump the combination of meth use AND all of the bad-for-teeth behaviors that go along with it.

Luckily, I would only start drinking diet pop after lobotomizing myself, which I can't see myself ever doing. For the sake of the gene pool and the economy (skyrocketing healthcare costs as a % of GDP), I really wish everyone would stop with the diet pop. And preferably the corn syrup stuff too. Get a pop made with real sugar if you want one occasionally. Its not worth the damage to your body, brain, immune system, or your nation, those who manufacture it or were involved in its approval, should be considered terrorists.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I know someone that drinks far too much diet soda nad weighs probably 240 pounds.

But you know what the real problem is? It's not her blind stupidity.

Exercise. She doesn't get it. More than that, she has no life to push her forward. No strong ambitions or things to live for. But once you do have purpose in your life, you absolutely need exercise.

Cars and bicycles and machines and computers and elevators and every manner of invention has made it so easy for us to drag our feet and leave a trail of slobber behind us.

Our technology has neutered us. But I do think human ingenuity will persevere. In exchange for a more secure life in a super civilization, we've gained a gut and some other drawbacks. Sure enough, we'll figure out how to solve that problem too, but I wonder what we'll lose in the process.

On hte whole, people actually live longer when they're overweight (not obese), ya know. Probably because it guarantees that you're getting full amounts of micronutrients. People who're thinner probably aren't getting enough micronutrients. Most of them are not nutritional experts.
edit on 31-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I said don't be a fool because you said this...

See I was under the impression that effects of meth on teeth were sort of a myth

I found it foolish to believe the effects of Meth on teeth to be a myth.

You're the fool.

Takes one to know one

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
See I was under the impression that effects of meth on teeth were sort of a myth. What actually causes the problem, "meth mouth", is the grinding of the teeth and improper hygiene. The drug itself doesn't actually cause much physical damage to the teeth. Unlike soda which directly damages the teeth.

When smoked, many caustic chemicals are produced because most of the "meth" goin around is made with chemicals like drano and other household stuff, nothing pure like you see on breaking bad. This smoke coming in contact with teeth is often the reason a lot of these addicts are missing specifically their front teeth cause the chemicals eat them up the fastest. Same reason a smoker gets tar stains on those same front teeth, that's where the smoke travels.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Makes no sense. Of ALL the negative side effects of doing Meth.. Toothdecay is the least of your worries.
Connecting the two in an article makes no sense. Just goes to show people still do meth, no matter what scaretactics they use, instead of throwing the money and hardwork down to get the problem solved.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
That’s why when I do crack and meth, I smoke it thru my nose. It avoids my teeth all together!

It might be hard to do, but if you can tolerate a straw down your nose, you’ll be just fine.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this issue to light, I have my doubts as in I don't trust any dentists now after constantly running into arguments about being Fluoridated and refusing it every time.

Have you ever wondered why they give you those free toothbrushes and such every time you have an appointment?

Wonder no more as you are being bought just the same as your dentist is bought.......The tooth past companies have to promote the use of Fluoride because it is in their product.

They are rabid about it and so are the paid off Dentists.......So any thing I read regarding dental health I take with a huge grain of salt.

I have some medical issues that result in myself being in doctors offices more times in a year that nobody should have to endure.

It is very rare whilst I wait to see the doctor that I don't witness a guy or gal in a business suit waiting at the counter with a large case loaded with samples and probably a check too.

The same goes for the dentist office but It is much rarer that you see this unless you are going for multiple treatments on consecutive days.

My thought on the thread and the link provided.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Meth does ruin your teeth. I grew up in a area where meth was everyone's "drug of choice". You could tell people were tweekers based on their teeth and their skin. I never even tired it because I seen the side effects first hand.

I had a former friend to whom I went to school with, he eventually dropped out. I seen him a couple years laters, he was obviously using. He and I began to talk then i noticed his teeth and had to ask "wtf was up with that?" He replied that he smokes meth and it's common.

So I seen this first hand many times. He wasn't they only person I grew up with that started using and eventually became a "criminal" over a drug. Needless to say, it's bad for every part of you.

So if this is this a violation of T&S mods, but I felt it needed to be said.

-SAP-
edit on 31-5-2013 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join