It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Diet soda as bad for teeth as meth, dentists prove

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Yikes! I better stop drinking my Diet Pepsi now...

Damn I really liked it too. :/

-SAP-

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Got a employee at my workplace whom has the signs if erosion
on her teeth, her first beverage in the morning on the way to work
is a diet coke and she has at least two more when she is there
through out the day. Also to add the has a bag of potato chips for
breakfast along with some other junk she consumes..

I read a Harvard study recently, explaining how sodas actually lower IQ
hmmm,.
glad I like water

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Try to avoid the stuff as much as possible, I didn't need a news story to tell me that

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Soda is bad for us ,the way its made now. Especially in the USA .
Regular soda ,and most sugared drinks ,contain high fructose corn syrup ,which is poison to the human body .
A few other countries have started selling it btw ,so check your labels .

Aspartame in diet soda,and many diet items ,is also poison ,for which you will find no research about,because aspartame is made by Monsanto . So all of the negative affects proven in studies ,have been buried right next to all the research about GMOs and Roundup .

Carbonation can cause kidney stones,and diet soda contains a lot of sodium .

I ,unfortunately ,like Coca Cola ,so I drink Mexican Coke . I wont touch anything that contains Aspartame and Splenda .
ANYTHING

They're both garbage .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Its totally true, but Im not sure if its ONLY the diet drinks. My roommate has been infusing himself with diet coke for years, he has maybe 7 teeth left, my other friend drinks dr.pepper like breathing oxygen and his teeth are all rotten.They both think Im crazy for not drinking soda.......wtf,,,,,,,,,,getting hard to cope with humans.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Does meth really rot your teeth or is it that while people are on meth they just dont brush or take care of themselves?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Teeth gritting
Lack of saliva, with an urge for sugary drinks to offset that problem.
And the corrosive chemicals used in manufacturing, then heated as corrosive smoke.

Those were the things stated when a friend of mine wrote a local story on the problem. and our state really has a problem...I'm sure many others do too...Be we have a sort of "methville" in our area.

Edit to add, that your statement is probably a cause as well.
edit on 29-5-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Does meth really rot your teeth or is it that while people are on meth they just dont brush or take care of themselves?

Pretty sure meth screws up your teeth really bad mate

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

I have always been hesitant of touching any product that is considered "diet" or "low sugar/calories" since I have long been aware of aspartame. My father took me aside and explained the dangers of aspartame at a young age (near the end of the 80s) and ever since I have been researching it's effects on people.

As other members mentioned, even regular soda is bad news if you consider the ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup. A lot of sodas currently use a caramel coloring that is a known carcogenic as well. Coca-Cola is currently phasing this ingredient out of "most" it's products according to a recent news report.

The only time I drink soda is when I am hungover, nothing beats a cold can of Coca-Cola when you are hungover IMO

The sad thing is that I should not be laughing while knowing how harmful it is for me, even if it's not very often in small amounts that I consume it.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Don't forget about the sodium benzoate in those sodas, too. When combined with Vitamin C you get benzene.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Anyone regularly consuming anything laced with industrial poisons poeticly called 'artificial sweeteners' will have a lot more to worry about than a mouthful of dodgy teeth.

There are other alternatives much healthier, non-toxic stevia for example has zero calories, is not fattening, can be eaten by diabetics, and is many times sweeter than sugar, making a little go a very long way.

Cheaper, healthier and non fattening...what's not to like over the industrial poisons route to sweetening foods and drinks without calories?

It doesn't have the advantage of being able to dispose of industrial toxins and poisons freely like 'artifical sweeteners' currently do (and even make a profit too) though, or drum up future business (diseases) for big pharma, so i doubt we'll see the healthy alternative overtaking the unhealth one anytime soon.
edit on 30-5-2013 by MysterX because: added text

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I haven't drank soda for 5 months now
I feel good!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Dying for Coca Cola? Some nations have factions fighting over soft drink production:

More than 60 people have been killed in clashes between tribes in Sudan's Darfur region over land producing the gum arabic stabilizer used in soft drinks, the latest incident in a surge in violence over resources this year.

www.reuters.com...
edit on 30-5-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I've been drinking diet soda for years without teeth issues, does that mean that they are lying about Meth being bad too?

"Meth Mouth" is caused by various factors coming together. The mouth is much dryer which causes bacteria to breed faster. Meth heads also aren't likely to take part in proper dental hygiene. In addition, if Meth is smoked it's acidic and can damage teeth.

Bad teeth due to normal dental problems is different. Bacteria form a biofilm over your teeth, this biofilm acidifies on the bottom surface (where it meets your teeth) causing tooth damage. Acidic drinks can obviously add a bit to this issue, but acidic drinks are almost immediately washed away. An acidic mat of bacteria covering your teeth does not get washed away as easily. Sugar in regular soda will feed the bacteria, in diet soda it will not.

Basically I see this as more half-truth alarmist material. Drinking diet soda wouldn't have an effect anywhere near as bad as smoking meth or letting tooth moss sit on your teeth for days.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I've been drinking diet soda for years without teeth issues, does that mean that they are lying about Meth being bad too?

I am very sorry to hear that you have been consuming diet soda for years, thankfully it is never too late to stop. You are lucky to have all your teeth, and no they ARE NOT lying about the meth being bad either...was that a real question or were you joking? OF COURSE METH IS BAD!

Once you cut yourself off of the aspartame you will most likely suffer withdrawal symptoms so you may want to slowly ween yourself off of it. Just because you still have all your teeth does not mean diet soda is safe to consume.
edit on 5/30/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I wouldn't doubt those are the results combined with other lifestyle choices. I alert people that I know to the dangers of diet sodas. Unfortunately and very sadly many that state "I don't want to know" remain morbidly obese while sipping on diet cokes. The whole diet foods-filled with artificial sweeteners- trend, aspartame coming to dairy products, people unwittingly knowing of this is further wreaking havoc on people's health!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

"Meth Mouth" is caused by various factors coming together. The mouth is much dryer which causes bacteria to breed faster.

Good point.

From the actual case study re: the diet soda lady...

she was a mouth breather.
Presumably because of the financial
constraints involved in raising 2 children
on her own, she did not seek any dental
health services for an extended period of
time (more than 2 decades).

2 liters of diet soda per day, poor dental hygiene and no dental visits for over 20 years may cause tooth decay... got it.

Dr. Mohamed A. Bassiouny is secretly (or not so secretly) super-hero Captain Obvious!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Anyone doubting meth rots the teeth just Google "faces of meth".

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Seems like a straw would take care of the Tooth issue though.

The doc who authored the study agrees with you.

"Your best option is to sip soft drinks and other beverages through a straw positioned towards the back of the mouth," advises Mohamed A. Bassiouny, DMD, MSc, PhD, and lead report author. "Doing so will limit the amount of time the beverage is in contact with the teeth."

Source

Also...

- Rinse mouth with water after drinking acidic beverage instead of brushing. The bristles of the toothbrush may damage the enamel.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

they are good for cleansing toilets !

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join