It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically-engineered wheat discovered in Oregon field

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well... the guys they take to court arent exactly "innocent farmers." The people they sue and win against are people who buy their seed with the intention of keeping it for themelves. This is illegal no matter how you look at it.

Say I buy 100 bags of corn seed at $150 a bag or more, and I sign a contract saying all of the product of this seed will be sold to a commercial elevator, and I will NOT keep any of it for replanting. If I decide to hide say, 500 bushels of said corn to replant, even though I signed a contract saying I wouldnt, shouldnt I be held accountable?

It isnt as if the products Monsanto sells are just plain conventional seeds. The products they sell are specially bred, and sometimes even genetically engineered to be superior to the plain conventional seeds, and that is why people are willing to pay so much more for them.

They make a product, it should be their right to defend that product in my opinion.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Now here comes the fallout:

Japan cancels some US imports after Monsanto wheat found in Oregon

TOKYO -- Japan has suspended certain wheat imports from the United States after a genetically-modified crop was found growing in an Oregon field.

Japan, the second-biggest importer of U.S. wheat behind Mexico, canceled some orders while the U.S. tries to figure how the illegal Monsanto wheat got to the Eastern Oregon farm.

Other top Asian importers, like South Korea, China and the Philippines are closely monitoring the situation. Many countries won't accept imports of genetically-modified foods.

The European Union announced it's preparing to test incoming wheat shipments after the discovery.

Roughly 90 percent of Oregon wheat is shipped overseas, generating a half-billion dollars in revenue every year, said Oregon Dept. of Agriculture Director Katy Coba.

Link story also includes VIDEO.

King 5 News

edit on 30-5-2013 by Julie Washington because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

I at first thought there would be a visible mutation. I'm basing this assumption on a French documentary I watched years ago. They visited Mexico corn farmers who noticed their corn was sprouting extra flowers and had different patterns.

I also thought a mutation is how they discovered the wheat, until I saw today's updated article that stated it was in a fallow field.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by collietta

Well................rest assured, this poor farmer will be soon finding himself in front of a judge for stealing patented seeds from Monsanto!!!!

Although this report puts Monsanto on the chopping block for releasing an unapproved organism into our environment, which I find as a good thing(Not a good thing that it was released, but a good thing that Monsanto is busted!). We can rest assured that our bought and paid for criminal government will choose to ruin the farmers life versus criminalizing one of their lobbyists.........

Jump to conclusions much?

Nowhere in the article is Monsanto being blamed for this yet your assuming their guilt with no evidence?

Wouldn't it be a little more prudent to wait for that evidence before you condemn people?

Oh look, we found someone who actually refers to a corporation as a person.

Who's payroll might you be on, I wonder?

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Whether it was the farmer's fault, or a handler's fault or someone else's fault, the main fault lies with Monsanto for creating GMO wheat.

The glysophate in Roundup is a chelator. It kills weeds by binding to the molecules that protect the weed from bacteria and fungi in the soil. When a GMO crop is sprayed with Roundup, the weeds die from infection but the crop now has glysophate from the Roundup binding the nutrients in the crop. So we get less than fully nutritious food. Or the animals eat deficient food and we eat nutritionally shorted animals. We get less nutrition from that animal or crop. That is bad no matter how you look at it.

Monsanto wants to make money. They don't care about us. They recently hired Blackwater to find those groups who opposed Monsanto and help disrupt their activities. Now why would a company do that? If someone wants to defend Monsanto I want to know how much they are being paid to do so.

Aside from all the suspected illnesses we get from GMO foods, there has yet been no consumer advantage to eating them. No price break, no increased nutrition, no nothing except what researchers elsewhere in the world have found to be truly bad health problems. If they are so proud of their product, why not label foods instead of spending millions to prevent GMO labeling.

Monsanto should have to pay for every dime spent on proving our wheat is not contaminated by their GMO wheat. We are talking about a 300-500 million dollar crop in Oregon alone.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Havent you people been on this site long enough to know to just skip any posts containing tinkerbell?

Really, you should read the average content that comes from this poster.....if you see tinker, just skip the post....

Just look at that posts to flags ratio....decent measure of how much a user actually contributes to the site, rather than just posting troll comments for stars and reactions.

It's like trying to talk with that obnoxious girl at your UIL debate team, they are crafty with words and know how to hide behind a statement, but everything they say is glaringly illogical and simply arguments within arguments that fail to address any real issues in any real way.

edit on 31-5-2013 by vind21 because: Stat trolling for great justice!

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

Hm, interesting, corn doesnt have flowers.

As for this whole situation, I see this as a political play, but it is extremely odd since there is no real positives to this being released. From what it sounds like, this was a stewarded test plot that was being left fallow so they could destroy any wheat that came up the next year. This just seems really odd, and could have some very negative connotations.

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I don't know if this was posted already.

Published on Jun 1, 2013 (Truthstream Media.com) Is there more genetically modified wheat in the U.S. food supply than what we've been told about? After it came to light last week that unapproved, illegal genetically modified wheat from Monsanto had been found growing in a farmer's field in Oregon (truthstreammedia.com...), Japan and South Korea have halted U.S. imports. The Monsanto wheat had been field tested between 1998 and 2005, but Monsanto pulled it when an international outcry arose and many of the biggest wheat importing countries proclaimed they would not buy the biotech giant's GMO strain. Now, a disturbing YouTube video has surfaced from FoodBabe.com sent in from the U.K. showing a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese imported from the U.S. with a label declaring the product is "made from genetically modified wheat" (foodbabe.com...). With the devastating prevalence of digestive issues and food allergies such as gluten intolerance and Celiac Disease among others proliferating all across America, the implication that illegal GMO wheat is not only turning up randomly in farmers' fields years after Monsanto supposedly stopped testing it, but that unapproved GMO wheat is actually known to be *present* in American processed food products and openly announced in other countries is downright disgusting and disturbing. Even in a best case scenario that the distributor assumed the mac and cheese had genetically modified wheat in it and just slapped a label on to cover the company's butt, it's still a sad testament to the fact that none of this manufactured food can really be trusted. Unfortunately, the odds that this label is telling the truth are pretty high all facts about biotech considered. Although Monsanto claims this is the first time it's GMO wheat strain has turned up in the near decade following its field tests, the wheat had been planted in 16 states and multiple other countries, so there's little reason to trust this is merely an isolated incident.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join