It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines turn to God ahead of anticipated Fallujah battle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well I like to hear this stuff, God Bless the Marines!

NEAR FALLUJAH, Iraq, Nov 6 (AFP) - With US forces massing outside Fallujah, 35 marines swayed to Christian rock music and asked Jesus Christ to protect them in what could be the biggest battle since American troops invaded Iraq last year.

Men with buzzcuts and clad in their camouflage waved their hands in the air, M-16 assault rifles laying beside them, and chanted heavy metal-flavoured lyrics in praise of Christ late Friday in a yellow-brick chapel.

They counted among thousands of troops surrounding the city of Fallujah, seeking solace as they awaited Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's decision on whether or not to invade Fallujah.

"You are the sovereign. You're name is holy. You are the pure spotless lamb," a female voice cried out on the loudspeakers as the marines clapped their hands and closed their eyes, reflecting on what lay ahead for them.

The US military, with many soldiers coming from the conservative American south and midwest, has deep Christian roots.

In times that fighting looms, many soldiers draw on their evangelical or born-again heritage to help them face the battle.

"It's always comforting. Church attendance is always up before the big push," said First Sergeant Miles Thatford.

"Sometimes, all you've got is God."

Between the service's electric guitar religious tunes, marines stepped up on the chapel's small stage and recited a verse of scripture, meant to fortify them for war.

www.drudgereport.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Has Fallujah been identified as the area where all the beheadings are taking place?

US Marines...I really admire these guys. I can only imagine what is racing through their head on the brink of a full scale war. If God can inspire them, so be it.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If God can give them the courage, good. I myself, in the face of adversity always turn to God. Heck, i do it on a daily basis .

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
As much as i disagree with the war, i wish the marines the best of luck in the upcoming battle.

There will be a lot of sleepless minds tonight, all that can be hoped for is as few casualties as possible.

I also wish the Black Watch the best of luck in their current situation, who are providing vital back up so that this operation can take place, and hopefully, to allow Iraq to control it's own affairs in the near future. Then the soldiers can go home to thier loved ones, and no more blood will be shed.

Best of Luck

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
If God can give them the courage, good. I myself, in the face of adversity always turn to God. Heck, i do it on a daily basis .

An alcoholic turning to God and a Marine turning to God are two completely different things. Just kidding. Maybe. Actually, no. Alcoholic and Marine are synonymous.

Anyway, hearing an SFC saying, "Sometimes all you've got is God" sounds a little scary to me. I mean, they also have training, and weapons, and men to their left and right. I might hope for God's help and oversight in a situation like urban warfare (which thank Him I've never had to endure), but I sure as hell wouldn't discount all that He gave me to accomplish the mission just for His sake.

There is no difference between faith in God and faith in yourself and your fellow men. And that is how God would have it.

Regardless of any of this, may the Marines be completely successful by any means necessary, and win decisively with as few casualties as possible, on both sides.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
They say that God is a soldiers best friend. You find yourself praying to Him when the s**t hits the fan.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I can just see myself running throught those streets now....

*Humpty as he's running*.... "Oh God, Oh God, Oh God, Oh Shyte, Oh Christ, Oh God....Roger, Bazzoka fire on that building".... "Boom"... "OHHHHH Goddam!!! Did you see that!!" ....
But scary

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Did they sacrifice a chicken when they were done?

Christians are so weird.

Let's hope their god was listening and keep them safe.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

DeltaChaos
There is no difference between faith in God and faith in yourself and your fellow men. And that is how God would have it.

There�s a huge difference between the two. When warriors, prior to battle, put their faith in God they open up the possibility that God will strengthen them for war. When man puts his faith in himself he loses God and has nothing but his own mortal flesh to carry him through the fight. The two are not compatible. Either you trust in the Lord or you trust in your own strength. The Bible is filled with circumstances in which men of God chose to put their faith in him alone to bring them victory.

God bless those Marines and make their hands quick to shed the blood of their enemies.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Last night as I celebrated with my retired husband at our local Marine birthday ball the Fallujah battle came as a topic of the commanding officers� speech, and he admitted how stress our troops are in Iraq and how sad that they are doing their job for their nation and not with their families celebrating such an important day of our Marine corp history.

I also notice as I looked around the room that the men in uniforms count was very low this year, it was more of wives, retirees and civilian personnel in the room.

All the marines present seemed to me so young perhaps because they were about my own children's age, we celebrated with our troops in our minds and hearts.

God our creator bless them, and damn bush for his unjust war.

[edit on 013030p://666 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The credo we repeat the most is GOD, COUNTRY, CORPS.

Second to that is this:

Psalm 91 reads:

We live within the shadow of the Almighty, sheltered by the God who is above all gods.

This I declare, that he alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him. For he rescues you from every trap and protects you from the fatal plague. He will shield you with his wings! They will shelter you. His faithful promises are your armor. Now you don't need to be afraid of the dark any more, nor fear the dangers of the day; nor dread the plagues of darkness, nor disasters in the morning.

Though a thousand fall at my side, though ten thousand are dying around me, the evil will not touch me. I will see how the wicked are punished, but I will not share it. For Jehovah is my refuge! I choose the God above all gods to shelter me. How then can evil overtake me or any plague come near? For he orders his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will steady you with their hands to keep you from stumbling against the rocks on the trail. You can safely meet a lion or step on poisonous snakes, yes, even trample them beneath your feet!

For the Lord says, "Because he loves me, I will rescue him; I will make him great because he trusts in my name. When he calls on me, I will answer; I will be with him in trouble and rescue him and honor him. I will satisfy him with a full life and give him my salvation."

God Bless our troops. To hell with our enemies.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by NextLevel]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Marg6043 God our creator bless them, and damn bush for his unjust war.

More nonsense from marg6043.

You don�t get to have it both ways. Either this war is just and the actions of the Marines are also just or it is not. I�m confident that the majority of the Marines fighting this war rightly feel it is a just war. For those few Marines that feel that this war is unjust I have no sympathy for them. If in their own hearts they believe that this war is unjust, how can they continue in good conscience to fight and kill in an unjust war?

I�m sick to death of people saying, �I support the troops in this unjust, illegal and morally bankrupt war!� What a joke that makes of morality. Either they are right to be there or they are not. Each Soldier, Airmen, Sailor and Marine is responsible to decide for themselves whether or not their actions are just. If they come to the conclusion that the war is wrong they must stand down and not participate no matter what the personal cost.

No soldier can ever say, �I was just following orders� and get away with it. If the war is unjust then they by default are guilty of war crimes.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Machine

More nonsense from marg6043.

I�m sick to death of people saying, �I support the troops in this unjust, illegal and morally bankrupt war!�

Telling you the truth I can say anything I want to this is still a free country after all, now for you following my threads your are the one doing it no me so if you don't like what I post be free to used the ignore button and by the way my husband served his country for 22 two years how many years did you.

I care less what your answer is.

[edit on 053030p://666 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Originally posted by Machine

No soldier can ever say, �I was just following orders� and get away with it. If the war is unjust then they by default are guilty of war crimes.

the soliders that abused the prisners in Iraq Blammed their actions on
higher authority

and on topic
what makes the soliders fighting in that country
think that god is on is on their side
or better still on the insuregenst side?

edit: i should really slow down when typing

[edit on 6-11-2004 by bodrul]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My Son is in Fallujah. He has been attending Church when he can. Called me last Sat. and said he was given a different mission and could not call for a while, maybe two weeks.

He is a Scout for the 4th tank battalion, MOUNT trained. I have been praying a lot.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Marg...

Just a question that is off topic...

How come it is almost every time I see a post by you that was edited by what it looks by you, it has the url [edit on 053030p://666 by marg6043]...

Just curious...

Now to the topic at hand, yes historicaly the troops and G_D go hand in hand, I mean they are giving their lives and dying in every war, so they pray that G_D will see them thru...

IMHO G_D bless the colition troops and their families, and the Iraqi troops and people that will die in this war...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Did they sacrifice a chicken when they were done?

Christians are so weird.

Nope, no chickens...The Chickens stayed in France..

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jedi_Master
Marg...

Just a question that is off topic...

How come it is almost every time I see a post by you that was edited by what it looks by you, it has the url [edit on 053030p://666 by marg6043]...

Just curious...

Whao I have the mark of the beast, but don't worry it will hit you too sometime during your posts.

Can you tell how evil I am, see I don't believe in satan the boogy man or santa so don't worry I am just fine I will carry my "mark" proud.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Actually marg...

I was just curious as to why that was appering in your edits ( didn't think you were the mark of the beast ), was just thinking maybe something was up with your time settings...

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Jedi_Master]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I think its great that the Marines held services and prayed before the impending battle, and I have a lot of respect for them for doing their job. I do not, however, see what relavance your post has to anything. Are they not supposed to be doing this?

I disagree with the "war" but we're there, so lets get it done and over with. Although I'm unsure of my support for the president, I totally support those men and women in uniform.

BG

[edit on 6-11-2004 by beergoggles]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join