There is a great misunderstanding about jihad from both muslims and non-muslims alike.
- Some are ignorant.
- Some are saturated in negativity, anger, hate, sorrow, depression, confusion, superiority complexes, and separation delusions.
- Some take certain aspects of jihad out-of-context without understanding all of jihad's principles as a whole.
- Some purposefully propagate an incomplete understanding of jihad in order to accomplish alter agendas.
All of the Qur'anic verses and Islamic teachings about Jihad and killing non-Muslims are absolutely true! However, these verses and teachings of War
and Fighting are too often taken out of context.
Please allow me to put the verses in their proper perspectives, and illustrate to you the full context of Jihad.
Islam and the Qur'an strictly prohibits the killing of women, children, and old people. According to Islam, Jihad is actually a Defensive Holy War.
Muslims are not allowed to attack other people or countries unless they are attacked first.
WHEN TO FIGHT:
WHEN TO STOP FIGHTING:
- "To fight against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged; and verily, Allah is Most Powerful for their aid."
Surah 22 Ayah 39
- "Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; For Allah loveth not transgressors." Surah 2 Ayah 190
WHO IS PROHIBITTED TO KILL:
- "But if they cease, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more persecution and the religion becomes Allah's.
But if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression." Surah 2 Ayah 192-193
- "But if the enemy inclines towards peace, you must also incline towards peace, and trust in Allah: for He is the One that hears and knows (All
things)." Surah 8 Ayah 61
- "Allah does not forbid that you do good and make justice for those who do not fight you in the religion or drive you out from your homes. Indeed,
Allah loves those who do justice. Allah only forbids your friendship with those who fight you in the religion and drive you out from your homes and
back those who drive you out. And befriends them, such are wrongdoers." Surah 60 Ayah 8-9
- "....whoever kills a single soul unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land, it is though he had killed all of humanity
together, and whoever saves the life of a single soul, it is as though he had saved the life of all of humanity together..." Surah 5 Ayah 32
- [ It is narrated on the authority on Abdullah that a woman was found killed in one of the battles by the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.). He
disapproved of the killing of women and children.] Hadith Sahih Muslim Book 19 Number 4319
- [ It is narrated by ibn Umar that a woman was found killed in one of these battles; so the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.) forbade the killing of
women and children. ]
Hadith Sahih Muslim Book 19 Number 4320
- "Stop, O people, that I may give you ten rules for your guidance in the battlefield. Do not commit treachery or deviate from the right path. You
must not mutilate dead bodies. Neither kill a child, nor a woman, or an aged man. Bring no harm to the trees, nor burn them with fire, especially
those which are fruitful. Slay not any of the enemy's flock, save food for yourself. You are likely to pass by people who have devoted their lives to
monastic services; leave them alone." Quoted by the first Khalifah Abu Bakr
All of the many verses from the Qur'an you have seen that prescribe and ordain jihad, war, fighting, murder, and violence must strictly adhere to
these guidelines in order to be considered accurate jihad. Anything straying outside these guidelines is actually disobedience to the Qur'an.
The above is a pure Islamic academic view-point, and is not the opinion of my own.
As Jesus is quoted to have said to "turn the other cheek," it is my utmost realization that anger begets anger, violence begets violence. The only
way to manifest Peace is from Peace itself.