It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ThinThread spy system secretly tested on New Zealand population

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

ThinThread spy system secretly tested on New Zealand population

securityaffairs.co

ThinThread operated in three distinct phases:

1. First phase: ThinThread intercepts all call conversation, email and internet traffic on a network and automatically focus analysis on specific targets using specific patterns of information.
2. Second phase: ThinThread automatically anonymize the collected data so the identities stayed hidden “until there was sufficient evidence to obtain a warrant”.
3. Third phase: ThinThread uses the raw data “to create graphs showing relationships and patterns that could tell analysts which targets they should look at and which calls should be heard."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29-5-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It's no secret that governments are some of the worst offenders of violation of privacy, but these days we seem to be taking things to a whole new level of intrusion.

With the AP scandal, IRS scandal, and more, I'm sure this story will come as no surprise to most... For me, it's a bittersweet story, for sure. I deal with all level of security on a daily basis. When we fail (and especially when we fail big), people rush to throw us under the bus for intel failures. But as a staunch defender of privacy and personal rights, this kind of stuff makes me furious.

securityaffairs.co
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
and this is what is most likely is being built in Utah for the NSA, and thye say say there is NWO yea right and there was no 2 Bushes in the POTUS either.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If this and it's follow up program Trailblazer were both really cancelled as they want us to think.. it's scary to think what took their place. If they could do this back in the 90s like the article says, then with technology advances they could literally be just recording everything now, no need for a system to pick and choose just grab everything and sort it out later.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
A rather vague wordpress blog article which details something that happened over 10 years ago.

I'd be more interested in knowing how they intercept email or other private data? At which point are they interfering and intercepting?

and more importantly was it in collaboration with an internet service provider. Which I can guess the answer to already.

However, as it reads here, and from a cursory glance of the article, then NZ was snooped on by a secret agenda to wiretap their private data and they never even knew... so job done, I guess.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
If this and it's follow up program Trailblazer were both really cancelled as they want us to think.. it's scary to think what took their place. If they could do this back in the 90s like the article says, then with technology advances they could literally be just recording everything now, no need for a system to pick and choose just grab everything and sort it out later.

Now can you tell me how you'd grab everything?

What method would you use, to grab everything on the internet and scan it for suspicious data? Even with a fancy algorithm that knows when someone is being sneaky.

I am genuinely interested to know how it can be done.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
[REDACTED]
edit on 29/5/13 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/5/13 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Until the public actually tries to DO SOMETHING about this kind of intrusion, it will continue. If only I had a dollar for every person who said "I don't care if they spy on my (insert app here), I have nothing to hide..." Pure apathy.

Maybe the AP scandal will be the catalyst?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Everything on the net would be tough, but just everything on the networks comprising the internet in the US would be rather easier. But I was more meaning everything as is email and the types of communications that use usually generic ports on the internet, narrowing down things pretty good, then you just code a program to crawl this data you've collected for whatever keywords or phrases or areas of origin or whatever other criteria you want. Doesnt Seem outside The realm of possibility with known technology, let alone technology the general public has no knowledge of..
edit on 29-5-2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: s

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

It's probably way past this stage now. Room 641A

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The more stuff like this comes to light the more I am in favor of strong, user-controlled encryption methods to vanguard our privacy.

Sure, with their Crays and what not they could probably break it all but it would take a good long time and by that alone they'd have to be very selective about what they waste their time on.

S+F!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

en.wikipedia.org...

A former AT&T engineer, Mark Klein, attested that a supercomputer built by Narus was installed for the purpose, and that similar systems were also installed in at least Seattle, San Jose, Los Angeles and San Diego. Wired News states Klein said he came forward "because he does not believe that the Bush administration is being truthful about the extent of its extrajudicial monitoring of Americans' communications":

Litigation:

The Hepting plaintiffs opposed the motion to dismiss,[11] asserting that the FISA Amendments Act's retroactive immunity provision was unconstitutional. Judge Walker heard oral arguments on December 2, 2008, and took the matter under submission.[12]

The case was dismissed on June 3, 2009 by Judge Walker,[1] citing retroactive legislation (section 802 of FISA) stating that[2]

in the case of a covered civil action, the assistance alleged to have been provided by the electronic communication service provider was in connection with an intelligence activity involving communications that was authorized by the President during the period beginning on September 11, 2001, and ending on January 17, 2007; designed to detect or prevent a terrorist attack, or activities in preparation for a terrorist attack, against the United States; and the subject of a written request or directive, or a series of written requests or directives, from the Attorney General or the head of an element of the intelligence community (or the deputy of such person) to the electronic communication service provider indicating that the activity was authorized by the President; and determined to be lawful.

The case went under review in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals by a three judge panel (Harry Pregerson, Michael Daly Hawkins, and M. Margaret McKeown). The argument was heard in Seattle, Washington on August 31, 2011.[13] It was dismissed on December 29, 2011, and some issues in the case were submitted as a Petition for Certiorari to the Supreme Court on March 30, 2012.[14] The Supreme Court, however, declined to review the lower court ruling on the case on October 9, 2012, closing the door on further appeals.[3]

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
So here we are, talking on the net, sharing opinions and thoughts, and feelings on the matters at hand. Except, that is not what we are doing. Right now, all of us, not just in this thread, nor on this site, but all over our internet stomping grounds, are being observed. Most of us are not being directly monitored, and our names are barely even known to the powers which operate the observation technique being applied.

But some will be the focus of a,probably low level, observation. Some will be, by posting what they post, and thinking what they think, providing a faceless government agency with the ammunition they need to move things up a notch, consider someone here a threat of some sort. From this position there are only a few possibilities. Either the target ceases to be a visible threat, perhaps because they leave the internet, or merely show a change in thier thinking, or the thing which got the watchers interested will continue to happen, or become more overt in that persons statements.

And so we come to consequence. Unless we are to believe that even a persons thoughts and political veiws are enough to see them come under not just scrutiny, but poor treatment by thier government (which is more or less likely dependant on region, although it might shock some to find out which regions are the worst offenders), then precisely what does it matter?

Well, that segment directly above asks the big question. This matters, because the way law is enforced, and the particular laws which come under the most focus at the moment, make every single person who isnt a jingoistic, rabble rousing supporter of whichever administration is in power, a potential enemy of the state, until proven otherwise. Oh, that isnt the way the law courts are supposed to work, I will grant you, but the extra judicial elements of law enforcement do not have quite the same respect for the way the law operates, as you or I might. In a court of law, you are innocent until proven guilty, by a jury of your peers. But if you never get a court date, then you dont get to measure up to that stick.

You get sent to a dusty hell hole in a nation which used to be considered a tinpot, commie dictatorship ( in the case of terror suspects from the US) or an eastern bloc torture warehouse in some out of the way rural area (in the case of suspects from Europe).

Just from my posts on this site to date, my government COULD if they had a mind to, decide that my veiws mean that I am potentially a risk to the security of the UK.

Lets face it, I live near and have been involved with activities on a military testing range. Never mind that this was in the shape of a barbeque party for the families of personel who worked there, when I was a child, its still a factor for a paranoid delusional, or a risk assessor (same thing, one is a psychological description, the other is a job title. Usually contained in one body though).

I have made mention of my enjoyment and respect for bladed objects, and contrary to popular, and misinformed opinion on these as a weapon, they are deadly when combined with quiet movement (which available CCTV recordings of my gait, coupled with various musings on here would attest to) and a working knowledge of basic anatomy (which I have also used here to describe my thinking on things like assasinations and cattle mutilations). So they could see me as a potential threat there.

Also when speaking on the site, I have made it plain that I understand the basic functions of thermobaric explosives, nuclear weapons, radiological materials and the threat they pose to human health, a whole host of methods of posioning, both where individuals and whole communities are involved, AND that I have a fairly good grasp of forensics and at the very least a rudimentary understanding of physics.

I have also made it plain that since 2007, when I joined this site, I have had degrees of disagreement with my government ranging from utter disbelief, to insensate rage. I am pretty sure I have made it clear on occasion that if I ever meet the PM, I am likely to gut the entitled little bastard and wear his face as a hat. I say all this now, because I have said it before, just in a less cohesive whole. Chances are, that if anything like ThinThread is being used in my nation, or on its people, someone is going to be looking at a screen with my posts on it, scratching his chin tonight.

Or not. I suppose we shall find out in due course. Consider this both a notice of intent to experiment, and a warning. If we are being watched, then what are we showing to the watchers? I do not particularly care, since normalcy is boring, and I hate to be bored, and frankly, stun grenades through the window and a ride on the blindfold express hardly qualify as stupifying.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Havent read the article fully yet, but from reading that little excert I have to say this has been going on in NZ for decades, my mother has a story or two about having phone calls 30+ years ago suddenly sort of changing sound (as if someones 'joined' in the conversation the way picking up the receiver of a second phone hooked into the same jack sounds like) so its something thats definitely on going.

Ive often heard people joke about it for most of my life though, certain phrases and key words appear to trigger 'something' to route your call somewhere else and this was happening at least a decade before we had things like the internet. Heck ive even had odd happenings myself, we'd often called it the 'party line' since from my own couple of experiences 20 years back you could be talking then suddenly your convo becomes a three way with some one else talking to someone else being heard, then they vanish as quickly as they came in, that could have been simple lines crossing but who knows, does show you can be 'tapped', and im sure its easier now days that cellphones are mini PCs, the spy trigger software can just be hidden on the phone itself.

I wouldnt be surprised at all though, NZ seems to be a testing ground for alot of things, both socially, politically and covertly, or at least it used to until id say the mid 90's. We'd have alot of stuff trialed here that would then be adopted by the UK or the US a year or two latter, even after we'd stopped trying it.

Ive always wanted to phone someone and then read of the list of trigger words some guy found 10 or so years ago just to see what would happen. Some of the words were quite... harmless and others where mind boggling 'wtf' moments, but they where on the list all the same, which is silly given their system must be tripping constantly even from just every day conversations, hardly efficient use of it unless the system is so damn powerful it can handle and record 100' thousands of triggering events a day... thing is that was back then, so how strong is it now?

Heck we had a recent news story about released files showing the SIS was spying on members of peace movement groups due to 'cynical communist' infiltrator concerns for decades...
heck they even spied on a Green party MP. Heck it seems the SIS even has an 'enemies' list that includes anyone whos criticized it over the years, you Americans might dislike your CIA and FBI but our SIS is a small dog wanting to run with the wolves, and they dont like being told otherwise (hence the kimdot.com bollocks) id rather have a competent big brother than a wannabe bumbling one with a nasty petty attitude... unfortunately I think their leash has been lengthen recently with law changes to allow illegal surveillance so id expect the US to funnel a few more things to test out down here now that no one can stop them.
edit on 29-5-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I agree with your OP entirely, and with what you've said in this thread.

I love how the arm-chair experts claim how there's nothing to worry about regarding these massive supercomputer-complexes; as if they have the expertise and knowledge to understand how these systems work and how powerful they really are.

Your government loves you so much, they put the Flouride in your water for you!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by RomeByFire

yep I am one of the Arm chairs that do know what is going on here is one pubrecord.org... and here is what they er Them is building in my back yard www.wired.com... from the link

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

By James Bamford
7:24 PM

Photo: Name Withheld; Digital Manipulation: Jesse Lenz

The spring air in the small, sand-dusted town has a soft haze to it, and clumps of green-gray sagebrush rustle in the breeze. Bluffdale sits in a bowl-shaped valley in the shadow of Utah’s Wasatch Range to the east and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west. It’s the heart of Mormon country, where religious pioneers first arrived more than 160 years ago. They came to escape the rest of the world, to understand the mysterious words sent down from their god as revealed on buried golden plates, and to practice what has become known as “the principle,” marriage to multiple wives.
Magazine2004

Today Bluffdale is home to one of the nation’s largest sects of polygamists, the Apostolic United Brethren, with upwards of 9,000 members. The brethren’s complex includes a chapel, a school, a sports field, and an archive. Membership has doubled since 1978—and the number of plural marriages has tripled—so the sect has recently been looking for ways to purchase more land and expand throughout the town.

now that you know the where

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks. The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013. Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.” It is, in some measure, the realization of the “total information awareness” program created during the first term of the Bush administration—an effort that was killed by Congress in 2003 after it caused an outcry over its potential for invading Americans’ privacy.

But “this is more than just a data center,” says one senior intelligence official who until recently was involved with the program. The mammoth Bluffdale center will have another important and far more secret role that until now has gone unrevealed. It is also critical, he says, for breaking codes. And code-breaking is crucial, because much of the data that the center will handle—financial information, stock transactions, business deals, foreign military and diplomatic secrets, legal documents, confidential personal communications—will be heavily encrypted. According to another top official also involved with the program, the NSA made an enormous breakthrough several years ago in its ability to cryptanalyze, or break, unfathomably complex encryption systems employed by not only governments around the world but also many average computer users in the US. The upshot, according to this official: “Everybody’s a target; everybody with communication is a target.”
so you think you can say what you like or post what you like with out Them knowing yea right, Bow before Obama he knows what your thinking and before you say BS here is the NSA web site telling all think before posting saying emailing or face booking nsa.gov1.info... form the link

In 2004, the NSA launched a plan to use the Multiprogram Research Facility in Oak Ridge, Tennessee to build a classified supercomputer designed specifically for cryptanalysis targeting the AES algorithm. Recently, our classified NSA Oak Ridge facility made a stunning breakthrough that is leading us on a path towards building the first exaflop machine (1 quintillion instructions per second) by 2018. This will give us the capability to break the AES encryption key within an actionable time period and allow us to read and process stored encrypted domestic data as well as foreign diplomatic and military communications.
wounder how many will still have face book come 2018??

edit on 30-5-2013 by bekod because: line edit

edit on 30-5-2013 by bekod because: added link, line edit

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Hey man, re-read my post and realize I'm agreeing with you. And quoting a wall of text doesn't mean you understand anything.

What I meant were the dynamics of it. I know what it is, where it is, etc. What I don't know, nor do you, is the dynamics behind it. The pure power they will have and storage to sift through enermous amounts of data very quickly and accurately.

This is scary.

I'm talking about the people who claim that this will not result in abuse, and that it's not that "secretive." The "nothing to hide" crowd, that WILL sacrifice their liberty for the ruse of safety.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Not sure if the following is totally relevant, as it seems to be mostly air bound communications, that's if you believe what they say.

1st a quote that "We have been eavesdropping since WW2". www.thetimes.co.uk... That is an impressive building in the heart of a rather exclusive area of the UK.

Note that eavesdropping includes e-mails, so not a big step to all web information?

Seems there are 1850 miles of fiber optics in the middle of that building. www.globalresearch.ca...

Part of a " GCHQ, in collusion with other signals intelligence agencies in the United States (National Security Agency), Canada (Communications Security Establishment), Australia (Defense Signals Directorate) and New Zealand (Government Communications Security Bureau)- otherwise known as the Anglo-American/Anglo-Saxon UKUSA intelligence alliance- is believed to be responsible for the operation of a global surveillance network known as ECHELON."

Note that NZ is included and this all dates back many years.

Echelon? Global eavesdropping scheme. www.globalresearch.ca...

Finally, the US have a foot in the door, well more like a whole regiments feet in the door, some of which the UK have access to. www.independent.co.uk...

One final thought, China, when I was there I made a comment on the netweather site that China had a lot of surveillance of it's people, with cameras at all (?) road toll booths. From that day I was unable to access the netweather site!

Have I proved anything?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
By 1945 the Brits were sorting through all the radio traffic the Germans were sending, and that was with a computer that used thermonic valves! I think the computer was called colossus, Churchill had it destroyed after the war, beats me why.
So with to-days computer power, and speed, sorting through stuff going through optical cables should not be too hard.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Churchill had the fabric and plans of those computers destroyed, because he did not a) want them to be examined by the other side, EVER. He knew that these machines bestowed upon thier operators and thier masters, so much power (by providing knowledge previously unattainable) that they were too dangerous to have hanging around, or out of government control. He didnt see them as appropriate things to leave lying about during peace time...

That is all he knew about peace time to be honest, as history will attest he was utterly useless unless there were bombs, bullets, and blood involved. And good for him. Jolly good sport, and a total legend.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join