It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God have any moral responsibility to his children?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Human parents have a moral responsibility to protect and try to raise their children to be what we think of as good citizens. Our laws, to some extent, make parents morally and legally responsible for the actions of their children.

God, our heavenly parent, is said to create our natures. Natures can only be followed. They cannot be changed, which I think is why God is said to hate some of us even in the womb; even before we can either do good or evil. IOW, he intentionally creates those he knows will be evil. I know some will blame man’s sins on his free will and thus shift the burden of responsibility for our sins away from God but that urge to sin is controlled by the nature and inclinations that God himself puts in us. We do have free will but that does not explain why our will, will go to evil instead of good. That desire is part of the nature that God puts in us as the story of Esau shows. In a way, Esau had no choice.

If God were just one of many Gods in a God society, would that society demand that he take responsibility in the same way human society has decided that a human child’s parent must take responsibilities?

Yes we would.

The fact that God punishes or rewards us seems to indicate that he at least thinks that he has some moral responsibility; otherwise he could not morally retain the right to punish or reward. At present we have no clear picture of what heaven and hell are like. God does not provide full disclosure even though our soul is at stake. That is not justice.

Should God’s responsibility include full disclose of what our true reward and punishment is?

God did not seem to think so in Eden, where Adam and Eve knew of only the one punishment before the act of disobedience. They soon found that the one punishment became many. It was a complete surprise for them. To me, that was completely immoral of God. That is like God lying to Adam and Eve by omission.

Does God have a responsibility for the souls he creates?

And since he could insure that all come to a good end in heaven, is making sure we get there also part of his responsibility since he creates the natures we cannot help but follow?

Any good human parent with God-like powers would insure the best end for his child if he had the power of a God. I know you and I would as part of our inclination to love and protect our children.

If God does not, does that make man more responsible than God in terms of accepting responsibility for our children?

Regards
DL

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wow...

We do not know the answers you are seeking.

However, your indictment of God is a stretch.

"Moral Responsibility" is a man made phrase.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Assuming the concept of God that you believe in is the truth, you're making way too many assumptions:

1) Moral responsibility- What is considered moral to our definition of life, which is based solely in the physical plane? Does a "soul" constitute life as we see it? If not, do our "moral responsibilities" as humans matter at all when discussing the soul?

2) Human nature cannot be changed.

3) That humans sin.

4) "We do have free will but that does not explain why our will, will go to evil instead of good." Yes, another unsurprising paradox of Biblical understanding.

5) "If God were just one of many Gods in a God society, would that society demand that he take responsibility in the same way human society has decided that a human child’s parent must take responsibilities? Yes we would. "
-Again, you're assuming way too much here. Why in the world would you anthropomorphize a near complete enigma of a being?

6) "The fact that God punishes or rewards us..."
-That's a matter of perspective completely.

7) "God does not provide full disclosure even though our soul is at stake. That is not justice. "
-Is it not possible that human beings are just plain old blind and ignorant?

8) "God did not seem to think so in Eden"
-Using a story from one book out of a dozen as fact to explain a being's actions.

9) "Any good human parent with God-like powers would insure the best end for his child if he had the power of a God."
-Attributing/using human characteristics again...

Conclusion:

Stop looking for all the answers from reading a single book. Frankly I'm surprised you're posting this if you're above the age of 16. I read the Bible in high school in 2 months front to back. Expand your mind. It's not just "the Bible or nothing"...or risk remaining forever with questions unanswered.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Ah no, we're responsible for our own actions, the exception is Christ. He took responsibility for us by coming to this world and purchasing us with his own blood. His blood was his brideprice, but it doesn't work if you don't accept it. Like any gift it has to be recieved, if you reject it, then you are still under Father's judgement.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Reality is just happening.

"Good" , "Evil", "Morality" these are just labels in the human mind. Without these thoughts it would obvious that reality is just happening. It has always been this way for millions of years before the labels came.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
His blood was his brideprice, but it doesn't work if you don't accept it. Like any gift it has to be recieved, if you reject it, then you are still under Father's judgement.

So many giddyups in these Christian hitches!

Did a woman have the right to reject her prospective husband? I don't think so.

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." Deuteronomy 22:28-29

16 And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed , and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife. 17 If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

His blood was his brideprice, but it doesn't work if you don't accept it. Like any gift it has to be recieved, if you reject it, then you are still under Father's judgement.

So many giddyups in these Christian hitches!

Did a woman have the right to reject her prospective husband? I don't think so.

"If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." Deuteronomy 22:28-29

16 And if a man entice a maid that is not betrothed , and lie with her, he shall surely endow her to be his wife. 17 If her father utterly refuse to give her unto him, he shall pay money according to the dowry of virgins

Got a major downer for you. Are you ready? Here it comes.

That was one of the jewish civil laws given to the Israelites during the old covenant. New Covenant, get with the program.

And despite what you think divorces were granted in cases of abuse or sexual immorality. Man and woman were meant to be one flesh, in harmony with eachother but as with all things, mankind can easily be corrupted and turned aside from the order God created. One of many reasons why we need a Savior.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

So we are responsible for our actions, but Jesus is? How is that possible? You can't have it both ways, but apparently somehow you do. Hmmmm....

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

That was one of the jewish civil laws given to the Israelites during the old covenant. New Covenant, get with the program.

Did Jesus stop the practice of purchasing women as brides? Did rapist not have to pay the virgins' fathers for defiling their property? Did Jesus stop polygamy?

If so, why the metaphor of a bride purchased with Jesus' blood? Didn't Saul require 200 foreskins of David for his daughter? How is this different?

What about the parable of the 10 virgins? 10 virgins for 1 bridegroom! Not to mention the custom of "sweeping the bride away" like a thief in the night.

Also, many times, the bride and groom met for the first time of the wedding night!

Sorry to tell you this, but romantic love, the wooing and courting a woman wasn't part of the "new covenant". Romantic love heralds from the era of Avalon and King Author. Maybe you should "get with the program"!

The idea that a woman could pick her mate based on love wasn't even remotely true in the days of Jesus!

And despite what you think divorces were granted in cases of abuse or sexual immorality

Do you have a citation for that?

The position of husband and wife with regard to divorce is not an equal one. According to the Talmud, only the husband can initiate a divorce, and the wife cannot prevent him from divorcing her.
www.jewfaq.org...

The bridegroom metaphor is ironic, stale and as unrealistic as the shepherd metaphor, as shepherds ultimately lead their lambs to their slaughter.

You guys need some new material for your metaphors.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Direct answer: Obviously not!

The Bible tells us that he wants US to be moral, but that he is all above that credo (excuse the pun).
God follows the old rule that he himself invented: Do as I say, not as I do.

How else would you explain the displays of his violent murderous wrath in the old testament?

Now, don't go citing what Jesus said at one time or another, he was a mere human in most respects. God is the big boy in charge and Jesus was only the messenger boy coming a little late on the scene. God had already made his mark.

You would think that those ET guys that gave us the early God-wrath business would have pre-thought the long-term implications of those actions. Or did they assume that eventually we would decide that it was all a bunch of hooey to simply get our human act together with a few guidelines until we matured?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
since God created morals,
he acts in 100% moral
behavior and thought.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

So that's why he killed all those people in the flood and why he ordered the Hebrews to pillage all those villages and rape the women and take the people into slavery?

Sure, sounds pretty moral to me.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Wow...

We do not know the answers you are seeking.

However, your indictment of God is a stretch.

"Moral Responsibility" is a man made phrase.

Indeed.

Perhaps to show that God does not recognize his.

Regards
DL

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ewok_Boba
Assuming the concept of God that you believe in is the truth, you're making way too many assumptions:

1) Moral responsibility- What is considered moral to our definition of life, which is based solely in the physical plane? Does a "soul" constitute life as we see it? If not, do our "moral responsibilities" as humans matter at all when discussing the soul?

2) Human nature cannot be changed.

3) That humans sin.

4) "We do have free will but that does not explain why our will, will go to evil instead of good." Yes, another unsurprising paradox of Biblical understanding.

5) "If God were just one of many Gods in a God society, would that society demand that he take responsibility in the same way human society has decided that a human child’s parent must take responsibilities? Yes we would. "
-Again, you're assuming way too much here. Why in the world would you anthropomorphize a near complete enigma of a being?

6) "The fact that God punishes or rewards us..."
-That's a matter of perspective completely.

7) "God does not provide full disclosure even though our soul is at stake. That is not justice. "
-Is it not possible that human beings are just plain old blind and ignorant?

8) "God did not seem to think so in Eden"
-Using a story from one book out of a dozen as fact to explain a being's actions.

9) "Any good human parent with God-like powers would insure the best end for his child if he had the power of a God."
-Attributing/using human characteristics again...

Conclusion:

Stop looking for all the answers from reading a single book. Frankly I'm surprised you're posting this if you're above the age of 16. I read the Bible in high school in 2 months front to back. Expand your mind. It's not just "the Bible or nothing"...or risk remaining forever with questions unanswered.

Thanks for this.

Regards
DL

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Ah no, we're responsible for our own actions, the exception is Christ. He took responsibility for us by coming to this world and purchasing us with his own blood. His blood was his brideprice, but it doesn't work if you don't accept it. Like any gift it has to be recieved, if you reject it, then you are still under Father's judgement.

God says ---- barbaric blood sacrifice, yummy.

You are on sick puppy with an uncivilized God.

Regards
DL

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Reality is just happening.

"Good" , "Evil", "Morality" these are just labels in the human mind. Without these thoughts it would obvious that reality is just happening. It has always been this way for millions of years before the labels came.

The question was ----

Regards
DL

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Direct answer: Obviously not!

The Bible tells us that he wants US to be moral, but that he is all above that credo (excuse the pun).
God follows the old rule that he himself invented: Do as I say, not as I do.

How else would you explain the displays of his violent murderous wrath in the old testament?

Now, don't go citing what Jesus said at one time or another, he was a mere human in most respects. God is the big boy in charge and Jesus was only the messenger boy coming a little late on the scene. God had already made his mark.

You would think that those ET guys that gave us the early God-wrath business would have pre-thought the long-term implications of those actions. Or did they assume that eventually we would decide that it was all a bunch of hooey to simply get our human act together with a few guidelines until we matured?

I too find it strange that a lawmaker is exempt from his own laws.

Christians do not seem to care though. They say God can do whatever he likes to us, moral or not, because he own us.

One of the best reasons not to be a Christian. Your morals get corrupted into a double set. One for God and one for the rest of us. They condemn man for something that they praise God for doing. Pure corruption that.

Regards
DL

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
since God created morals,
he acts in 100% moral
behavior and thought.

Is being a human deadbeat dad moral?

Is being a deadbeat dad moral for your God?

Regards
DL

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

if God seems far away and distant,
just get honest with yourself about who moved.

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787

if God seems far away and distant,
just get honest with yourself about who moved.

I am quite close to the God I know.

I do not want to be close to the genocidal son murderer of the Abrahamic cults.
I do not like pricks.

Who does?

Regards
DL

new topics

top topics

join