It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little recent history on Monsanto

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ok, For years people have been against Monsanto because of this.
---
www.youtube.com...
-----------------------------------------------------
More and more farmers started bringing Monsanto and companies like that to court. But the courts always sided with the BIG Corporation. 5 million farmer Class-Action law suit was lost to Monsanto and now being appealed.
---
www.huffingtonpost.com...
------------------------------------------------------
Because of this Monsanto "lobbied" to have to MONSANTO PROTECTION ACT which Obama sighed into law.
---
rt.com...
------------------------------------------------------
Russia threatened war if Obama didn't stop protecting Monsanto because their firm is primarily guilty of the mass killing off of bees. If bees die off we die.
---
www.ashtarcommandcrew.net... ource=activity
-----------------------------------------------------
Now, an Illinois man had his Monsanto resistant bees illegally seized by the Dept. of Agriculture and they killed off his remaining Queens. WTF is happening???
---
foodfreedomgroup.com...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
What percentage of new legislation in the US is sponsored by corporations? How often do corporations lobby for enrichment of their profits without regard for human organisms or the planet they reside on.

When you have those answers you understand the USA and you understand what the results for humans will be if corporations are not controlled and re-calibrated to organic sustainability.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I find it funny how people think there are no farmers ripping off Monsanto seeds to grow their crops.

It costs a tenth of the price since Monsanto seeds do not need the pesticides that regular crops must have in order to grow to fruition.

There is not one single farmer that may take advantage of that?

Funny

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

How exactly are they ripping them off?

And what plants must have pesticides? my plants seem to grow just fine without them...
edit on 29-5-2013 by TexasSeabee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TexasSeabee

And what plants must have pesticides? my plants seem to grow just fine without them...

There are many advantages to growing GMO crops.

This is why they were invented you know. If they were exactly the same as traditional agriculture we wouldn't be having this discussion.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I find it funny how people think there are no farmers ripping off Monsanto seeds to grow their crops.

It costs a tenth of the price since Monsanto seeds do not need the pesticides that regular crops must have in order to grow to fruition.

Funny

Are you some sort of agent?

Monsanto lies, cheats, steals, and kills in the name of turning a profit.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

This is why they were invented you know. If they were exactly the same as traditional agriculture we wouldn't be having this discussion.

No kidding we would not be having this discussion........Face palm.

Yes yields are higher and they are bug and disease resistant........BUT. We do not fully understand the ramifications yet of what we are doing. The food supply just like the water supply is not something you want to mess around with.

Imagine if they wanted to mess around with the water supply.........wait they all ready do that... my bad.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

Yes yields are higher and they are bug and disease resistant........BUT. We do not fully understand the ramifications yet of what we are doing. The food supply just like the water supply is not something you want to mess around with.

Imagine if they wanted to mess around with the water supply.........wait they all ready do that... my bad.

Nothing to disagree with there.

I totally 100% believe this research is necessary and will benefit humanity in the long term but I also see the problems with allowing Monsanto or others to mass produce this before we know the effects.

Very good point.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubTruth

I don't care anything about Monsanto and they can be put out of business for all I care. Until they put me on the payroll I am just giving my own opinion...

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

The thing is with Monsanto seeds you can't recuperate seeds from past crops and replant them. First most won't grow and second of they do indeed grow they will bankrupt you for copy right infringement or some crap like that.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

That's what I'm wondering. Or extremely complacent and compliant.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

The thing is with Monsanto seeds you can't recuperate seeds from past crops and replant them. First most won't grow and second of they do indeed grow they will bankrupt you for copy right infringement or some crap like that.

Well that is not correct.

All of the Monsanto lawsuits directly deal with farmers saving the seeds and replanting them. At least the agricultural lawsuits.

Farmers need to buy the seeds every year, as per the agreement they made with Monsanto. Some farmers however will save the seeds from the current crop to replant with and not give Monsanto the price for their patented product.

Why people have an issue with this is beyond me. Farmers don't have to plant Monsanto seeds but they do because they yield more and cost less to raise.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I understand the benefits of adapting plants to climates and such, which actually is the result of agriculture throughout history. Plants were domesticated through taking seeds from wild plants and growing them. Plants adapt to different envinronments by planting them, raising them to maturity, taking the seeds from that plant and replanting them. Every new seed produced is stronger and is better adapted to your local soil type and environmental conditions. Its a process that takes time and effort on the part of the farmer. Cross pollination and adapting of plant structure happens naturally as well, that is the reason you dont plant Jalapenos next to Tomatos. Speeding up the process in a lab has unforseen side effects.

But all that aside how are the farmers ripping off Monsanto by keeping seeds?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod

Funny

Are you some sort of agent?

Monsanto lies, cheats, steals, and kills in the name of turning a profit.

Hope is in EVERY one of the Monsanto threads backing this freaking crap up!!

Go find one, click on it, you will find Hope defending them in every one of them......It is annoying that an ATS member like Hope works for this disgusting organization!!!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I see you have answered my intial question in the post above my last.

Thank you.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That's how farmer make ends meet. They plant a crop and keep the seed so they don't have to buy as much the next year. It's pretty much nature at work with a little help. It's been done for thousands of years. Now this company through lobbying, I'm using the term loosely, and rubbing elbows are accountability free then comes by and bully farmers into using their seeds by claiming they are using them illegally and will press charges when they know the seeds have been carried by the wind. That's why a bunch of them are using those seeds I'm persuaded of it.

So 5 millions farmers are wrong and Monsanto is right?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Very well said.

Lets say for the sake of disscusion the seeds belong to Monsanto. The second round of seeds that are offspring from the intial planting will be genetically different due to environmental factors that were present during growth, so it would seem they are no longer the same seed and do not belong to Monsanto.

Am I off base with that line of thinking?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
what's happening exactly is that you are misinformed. You are getting your news from slanted and opinionated sites and stories. You don't have the full story or understand to that which you are complaining about.

I won't post links and stuff as I'm sure you are capable of finding the information yourself but to get you started in the right direction, the IL BEES DESTROYED story is inaccurately represented and falsely reported. Find the current topic here on ATS and you'll find that this "Farmer" had many many warnings from the Agr and was directed to destroy is DISEASE-LADEN hives - which he ignored.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TexasSeabee

Not at all.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

Well that is not correct.

All of the Monsanto lawsuits directly deal with farmers saving the seeds and replanting them. At least the agricultural lawsuits.

Farmers need to buy the seeds every year, as per the agreement they made with Monsanto. Some farmers however will save the seeds from the current crop to replant with and not give Monsanto the price for their patented product.

Why people have an issue with this is beyond me. Farmers don't have to plant Monsanto seeds but they do because they yield more and cost less to raise.

No, that's not what all of the lawsuits are about.

Quite a few involve farmers whose crops became pollinated, inadvertently, by neighboring gmo crops. They were then sued for copyright infringement, even though the pollination occurred through no fault of their own.

Fairly underhanded practice, imo.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join