It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Built to Break, a world constructed on unregulated capitalism.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Last time I checked you could still buy those products somewhere.

Nobody is forcing you to buy the new gadgets.

That would be your choice.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

What lobbiests do is offer things to particular people such as promising to expand their business into a certain state if this or that congressperson votes for legislation favorable to them. They may offer job opportunities to the person once they leave office or consulting gigs, they may promise to help in their re-election campaign with either funds or staff....but they never offer bribes.

...but they never offer bribes.

...but they never offer bribes

...offer bribes

bribes

bribe
/brīb/

Verb
Persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.

Noun
A sum of money or other inducement offered or given in this way.

What lobbiests do is offer things to particular people such as promising to expand their business into a certain state if this or that congressperson votes for legislation favorable to them.

Exactly what do you think a BRIBE is?

MOTF!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Last time I checked you could still buy those products somewhere.

Nobody is forcing you to buy the new gadgets.

That would be your choice.

Ah, great idea.

Then why are you harping on about "you get what you pay for" ?
Obviously your lecture fails from the get-go, doesn't it ?

We don't get what we pay for anymore... that's the friggin' point Buster was making and it apparently flew right over your head.

And with this most recent post of yours (as quoted above), you just completely contradicted yourself.

[insert slap forehead here]

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I was specifically talking about monetary bribes which should have been evident from my post.

Sorry you guys didn't pick up on that.

And yes you get what you pay for.

If you buy a food processor from Wal-mart for 10 bucks don't be surprised when it falls apart next month.

What is there to dispute about that exactly?

If you buy one for 300 dollars it will probably last longer.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

bribe
/brīb/

Verb
Persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.

Noun

MOTF!

edit on 29-5-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I do understand this fact, But my post is about when you pay even for the higher end items they don't last long. But the whole point is, YOU PAID FOR IT, it should work as is, for a certain amount of time that is equal to the amount of money you paid or it shouldnt be sold. It's a waste to the consumer and our planet, and with things becoming Finite, why are we allowing wasteful making to profit?

If you buy something, you should get the item you bought, not a lessar version of it, the item in which was being sold as. otherwise isn't that falsely advertising? You sell me a hammer I want to be able to use it as a hammer, for longer than 2 weeks, and expect that item to not fall apart causing harm.

The issue in my main post was about every thing you buy, I don't care what it is, the quality is slipping, and it's not lasting as long as it used too. go ahead count your items that you rely on, now count the same items that are as trust worthy as they were when you started buying them, if you see no difference, just wait, time will assist.

Even the warranties and Insurance is becoming cheaper, I bought a Mytouch 4g, lasted 2 years ( good product ), then a button stopped working, called provider, they replaced next day no charge, still under warranty, and insurance, a year goes by, my phone falls from my pocket and the screen cracks, not covered under warranty, and insurance will replace but not for anything less than 200 bucks, thing is that's how much I paid for it, 4 years ago... :/ Needless to say I looked into fixing it myself, a guy online will repair for 40 bucks parts included, or I can buy the parts elsewhere and use a video to repair, I did and guess who has a 40 dollar repaired phone

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!

bribe
/brīb/

Verb

Noun

MOTF!

Hmmm... let me break out the crayons here

I was talking about direct monetary CoMpEnSaTiOn......lol

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tranceopticalinclined

I do understand this fact, But my post is about when you pay even for the higher end items they don't last long. But the whole point is, YOU PAID FOR IT, it should work as is, for a certain amount of time that is equal to the amount of money you paid or it shouldnt be sold. It's a waste to the consumer and our planet, and with things becoming Finite, why are we allowing wasteful making to profit?

If you buy something, you should get the item you bought, not a lessar version of it, the item in which was being sold as. otherwise isn't that falsely advertising? You sell me a hammer I want to be able to use it as a hammer, for longer than 2 weeks, and expect that item to not fall apart causing harm.

The issue in my main post was about every thing you buy, I don't care what it is, the quality is slipping, and it's not lasting as long as it used too. go ahead count your items that you rely on, now count the same items that are as trust worthy as they were when you started buying them, if you see no difference, just wait, time will assist.

I've bought many high price items that last quite awhile.

I paid almost 200 dollars for a curling iron that's lasted me three years so far with no problem whatsoever. Had I bought a cheaper one I would have had to replace it already I'm sure.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

bribe
/brīb/

Verb

Noun

MOTF!

Be sure to grab a Websters dictionary to read after you are done coloring.

MOTF!

Edit: Be sure to fork over the extra money for the hard back. It will probably last longer.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

bribe
/brīb/

Verb

Noun

MOTF!

Be sure to grab a Websters dictionary to read after you are done coloring.

MOTF!

Edit: Be sure to fork over the extra money for the hard back. It will probably last longer.

Will do...I'll make sure to pick up a guide on reading comprehension for you also my friend.

Kudos

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Most wrenches are solid state items, casting would be the main issue I'd worry about, stanely makes a good wrench too.

Most items we buy are not made from solid state construction, nor are they as durable as even the cheapest made wrench you can find. Seems this Thread is being derailed for some reason, and cannot have an honest conversation as to why more cheaply made items are being allowed to be sold, yes people need to be able to sell their wares, but wares worth selling would be a main focus I'd hope.

Funny you say wrench, since I can mention something about tools and time.
For a while when I was younger, you'd buy a toolset and it would come in a metal sturdy box, now you buy a toolset most of the metal boxes are considered " High End " while the regular joe's toolset comes inside a plastic snapshut. Why the change, to cut on costs, but the price didn't drop, the quality did.

Cheaper items are sold to appeal to the market that can't afford the higher quality items. Yes they break but its because...well...they are made cheaply.

Pointing out logic is not derailing your thread.

Then lets discuss producing quality items for everyone. Would that be possible? Is quality something that only the rich are entitled to? One good example is throw away cars. Most recommend trading your car in every 2 years. There was a time when a car lasted several generations handed down from parents to children to their children.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

You pay for marketing as well, cost doesn't always equate to quality.
You are a good little consumer with that mentality, Mr. Branding himself and his partner Mark Eting would be proud.

edit on 29-5-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I was specifically talking about monetary bribes which should have been evident from my post.

If you buy a food processor from Wal-mart for 10 bucks don't be surprised when it falls apart next month.

No. It doesn't last longer.
Hence, my post confirming that point... as well as other people's posts telling you that you're wrong.

Telling people "you get what you pay for" in one breath, and then turn around with the next breath saying "then go buy the old appliances, nobody is forcing you to buy the new gadgets" is about as self-contradictory as it gets.

Your other discussion regarding monetary bribery has absolutely nothing to do with your original post about "getting what you pay for"... so why are you now trying to combine the two as one ?

Nice attempt at trying to dance around your erroneous claim by way of over-convolution.

You were wrong, you were proven wrong... and yet for whatever reason, you seem to have a very difficult time being able to admit that.

Christ, you even contradicted yourself and you can't even admit to that.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I've bought many high price items that last quite awhile.

I paid almost 200 dollars for a curling iron that's lasted me three years so far with no problem whatsoever. Had I bought a cheaper one I would have had to replace it already I'm sure.

GOOD GOD! 200 dollars for a curling iron?!? Guess that answers my last post!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

Its called planned obsolescence.

Theres a good documentary on it.

I created a thread on it a couple of years ago: www.abovetopsecret.com...

As you can see by the comments, some people actually support this idea because it "gives people jobs"...

To each his own I guess.

edit on 29-5-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Maybe Hopechest is too young to have lived long enough to remember how long things used to last prior to these past 2-3 decades.

I've had the same hairdryer for 34 years. If I were to go out and buy a new "top of the line" one today, I'd be lucky to see 8 years out of it.

We now live in a world of throwaway consumption... and it certainly was not by any choice from the consumer.

Some of us are old enough to remember when it wasn't like that.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideBankers

Most wrenches are solid state items, casting would be the main issue I'd worry about, stanely makes a good wrench too.

Most items we buy are not made from solid state construction, nor are they as durable as even the cheapest made wrench you can find. Seems this Thread is being derailed for some reason, and cannot have an honest conversation as to why more cheaply made items are being allowed to be sold, yes people need to be able to sell their wares, but wares worth selling would be a main focus I'd hope.

Funny you say wrench, since I can mention something about tools and time.
For a while when I was younger, you'd buy a toolset and it would come in a metal sturdy box, now you buy a toolset most of the metal boxes are considered " High End " while the regular joe's toolset comes inside a plastic snapshut. Why the change, to cut on costs, but the price didn't drop, the quality did.

Cheaper items are sold to appeal to the market that can't afford the higher quality items. Yes they break but its because...well...they are made cheaply.

Pointing out logic is not derailing your thread.

Then lets discuss producing quality items for everyone. Would that be possible? Is quality something that only the rich are entitled to? One good example is throw away cars. Most recommend trading your car in every 2 years. There was a time when a car lasted several generations handed down from parents to children to their children.

It is not the responsibility of a company to give everyone the best product possible.

That is up to the individual consumer to determine.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

No. It doesn't last longer.
Hence, my post confirming that point... as well as other people's posts telling you that you're wrong.

Telling people "you get what you pay for" in one breath, and then turn around with the next breath saying "then go buy the old appliances, nobody is forcing you to buy the new gadgets" is about as self-contradictory as it gets.

Your other discussion regarding monetary bribery has absolutely nothing to do with your original post about "getting what you pay for"... so why are you now trying to combine the two as one ?

Nice attempt at trying to dance around your erroneous claim by way of over-convolution.

You were wrong, you were proven wrong... and yet for whatever reason, you seem to have a very difficult time being able to admit that.

Christ, you even contradicted yourself and you can't even admit to that.

What exactly was I wrong about. If I was than I will stand corrected.

Please point out my exact error.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

No it's not called technology it's called planned obsolescence. It is used stimulate and perpetuate consumption. Designing something so it will break within a certain time-frame so the customer will buy another isn't progress it's greed.

There is no product on the market that you cannot buy a good version of that will last.

Show me one and I will politely bow to your wisdom.

One product. Maytag Washers. My family has always owned Maytag clothes washers.

My grandma's Maytag washer was over 30 years old and working fine when they finally sold the farmhouse. Over the years, my grandfather had had to replace a few belts, but it worked dandy. My mother's Maytag is around 25 years old and still merrily washing along. Again, a few belts have had to be replaced and a switch one time, but it was built to last.

My first Maytag lasted 10 years. My second 8 - the motor bearings burnt out and were not repairable. When I bought my THIRD washer, I asked the older gentleman sales person what the average lifespan of a washer was now - specifying that I was asking across brands. He told me "If you're lucky, 8-10 years". So. Same product, same use, doesn't last like it used to.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Yes but you can still buy that old Maytag washer somewhere which will make this problem irrelevant.

If you want a shiny new one you have to accept that it may not last as long. Nobody is forcing you to buy these new cheaply made products are they?

You have options available.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join