It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 1951 Lubbock Lights

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The reflective feathers of a bird can play tricks sometimes, especially at night when the fly over street lights, and their bellies glow. However, seeing the picture, those are definitely not birds cause it seems to have a nightly setting, and would require the birds to have a source of light pointing at them in order to reflect it. The object seem to give of the own source of light, so birds got thrown out there.

As for the V, that just coincidence, or standard formation no different then air force pilots.

Hell if anything, you should see them making a formation that looks like a plane, almost looks like a giant bird, and quite possibly such formation could of been the cause of the hologram myths. Cause the formation would have to be kept close, and at a distance it would look like a giant orb( or plane of in the distance). But when it gets closer, the light not playing such an illusion anymore. Rare sighting indeed.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The photo is not of birds.
The sighting was probably of birds.
The photo was probably a fake, made by the kid based on what he thought the witnesses were describing.
Therefore, the photo is not of birds.

Incidentally, it is interesting how often in the 40s and 50s, UFOs flew in flocks. Apparently they came here in great numbers, but once they started crashing...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Very similar don't you think?

What?!!

>

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
You if they really wanted to, they could grab enough orbs and make a smiley face in the sky, or spell "F U Earth". I doubt they would do so, considering were such impressionable species in this day an age, but I bet it must be pretty tempting at times for them.
edit on 30-5-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2013 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Don't you find it very coincidental that all these lights are in the formation of geese flying? I do.
reply to post by Hopechest

Why? So do aircraft.

Birds aren't luminous.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Now, considering this same professor was in on the initial calculation of said speed, I see little reason to think that this can be questioned, considering the game warden pointed out that in order for the objects to be birds they would have to be much closer to the ground to appear to move so fast. Moths?

That's one heck of a flock of moths to be flying around town spooking several folks for days never to be seen again. Heck, same with the birds.
I'm skeptical of the moths explanation.

However since moths fly even slower than birds, this illustrates that Ruppelt felt the speed estimate could be dismissed, and he was probably right about that even if he's wrong about the moths. People are often wrong about distance and speed estimates of unknown objects sighted at night. It's just a fact. There's no way around it.

Since the game warden's dismissal of the birds explanation was based on completely unreliable distance and speed estimates, little weight should be assigned to such dismissal.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Incidentally, it is interesting how often in the 40s and 50s, UFOs flew in flocks. Apparently they came here in great numbers, but once they started crashing...

There are still UFO sightings of many objects. Just as there were many sightings of single crafts in the past. I'm more apt to believe it was a single large object, similar to the Phoenix lights case, and others.

And I tend to give a group of older educators a bit of a benefit of a doubt. If they feel the lights were going 600 mph.. even if they were say.. 50% off.. I haven't seen many flocks of geese flying 300 mph lately. They didn't calculate with an instrument as Hope suggested.. but they saw them fly over a cloud, and were able to calculate based on how long it took to fly over it. Could be off, sure.. but not over 500 mph.

Also, they did not see it flying in a V formation.. but rather a U formation. That's why they said the photos were unlike what they saw.

There were at least 3 other reports of odd sightings that same night. Keep in mind other things said by the witnesses. They were were "perfectly circular," their shape and luminescence made it an eerie sighting for them. They flew over so fast, they said they wished they had been able to get a better look. Sounds like they were trucking. Hart's photos were studied in depth by the Air Force, who said they saw no indication they were hoaxed.. but also added in true Bluebook fashion, that they could not guarantee they were genuine, either.

People tend to ignore aspects of these cases that makes them stand out. These lights were seen by 3 professors, and then on another night, 5 professors (the original 3 and 2 more). The odds they saw silent geese formations in a U shape both times, and were unable to identify them as birds? hmm. Other sightings were made of odd lights the same night. Lights in the area were photographed by someone else - and those lights were in a similar formation. A Dr. Ducker reported seeing a silent flying wing flying over her home around the same time. There were certainly odd things going on. One researcher tried to duplicate the photo, taking pictures of geese around those vapor lamps in the area. He could not duplicate it, the photos all came out too dim.

But cling to the "It was geese theory," because I know it makes it easy to explain away for some folks.

edit on 30-5-2013 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The professors calculated the speed of the lights because of the fact that they were seen close to or above a cloud that was roughly 2,000 feet.

It is not hard to calculate the distance, and speed of an object if you already know the distance of another object acting as a reference point.

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Thank you for the kind post.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

The professors calculated the speed of the lights because of the fact that they were seen close to or above a cloud that was roughly 2,000 feet.

It is not hard to calculate the distance, and speed of an object if you already know the distance of another object acting as a reference point.
Yes if you know the distance to the object, but how could they know the distance to the could?

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

You can actually calculate the distance to a cloud, albeit to a degree, simply by the structure of the cloud. Thin, wispy clouds are almost always higher than 20,000 feet, and puffy, large clouds usually have bases at less than 5,000 feet, and more than 1,000 feet.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by extraterrestrialentity

You can actually calculate the distance to a cloud, albeit to a degree, simply by the structure of the cloud. Thin, wispy clouds are almost always higher than 20,000 feet, and puffy, large clouds usually have bases at less than 5,000 feet, and more than 1,000 feet.
They called it a "thin cloud" so how does that place it between 1000 and 5000 feet? That doesn't match your description at all. Besides that they weren't close enough to the clouds for a comparison:

The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, by Edward J. Ruppelt, [1956]

They had tried to measure the altitude, with no success. First they tried to compare the lights to the height of clouds but the clouds were never near the lights, or vice versa.

edit on 1-6-2013 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

There are clouds that appear rather thin, that exist at heights of around 3,000-5,000 feet. The very thin, wispy clouds that are made of ice crystals are the ones that are usually much higher than 5,000 feet. Warm fronts can bring rather thin clouds that are at heights of about 5,000 feet.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Except they were finally able to see the clouds and lights together on one occasion:

"and at last we observed one group passing above a cloud which gave us a more concrete idea of the altitude. Assuming that such a cloud crossed Lubbock at 2,000 ft., the objects would have been maintaining a speed in excess of 600 mph if they were barely above the cloud they passed over. The objects moved across a 120-degree arc in two seconds, and if you reduced the altitude to a point where ducks would cross such an arc at their top or average speed of 60 miles an hour, one duck would appear as large as the entire formations we have been observing."

I don't know why they assumed the cloud was passing at 2,000 ft - perhaps they researched and found that was the typical height of clouds for that time of year or weather.. who knows. I couldn't find a reference stating why they felt accurate in their altitude guess. Regardless, a low-flying cloud would have been a lot more obvious. If they saw objects passing behind the cloud, I'd venture a guess the objects were larger than birds.

Also, if it were birds hitting the light provided in that particular area, it would have occurred -many- more times over the years. Not just a few times and then never again.

It's not just their sighting that stands out to me. People tend to ignore other important facts. Such as, before their first sighting (on the same night), 318 miles away, a couple saw a flying wing go over their house in a southerly direction. It was about 1 and a half times larger than a B-36, had spaced soft glowing lights spaced along the wings, and was traveling at a good clip.. and rather low altitude. It was completely silent. One of those witnesses worked for the Sandia Corporation and had a Q clearance (an DOE clearance equivalent to a TS clearance for the DoD). Commercial flights were checked, nothing was listed as being in their area.

The sighting reported by the professors was 20 minutes later. How fast would an object have to be traveling to go 300 miles in 20 minutes? Answer: about 900 MPH.

A few hours after the Lubbock sighting, two different radar stations had shown a unidentified target moving at fast speeds. An F-86 jet was scrambled to find out what that was. By the time the jet got into the air, the object was gone.

How fast was it going? The radar stations both reported it to be traveling at 900 MPH at 13,000 on a northwesterly heading.

When you start to add up the "coincidences," you being to wonder. If the sighting had been merely a group of 3 professors, it carries much less weight. When you start to look at the bigger picture of events happening at the same time in the surrounding areas, things really start to add up. There is quite a bit more.. including hundreds of other reports of lights around the area in the following two weeks. So to me at least, trying to explain away lights as being geese, ignoring all the other data at hand.. solely because it was sort of V shaped, is ridiculous.
edit on 1-6-2013 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Here is a detail we cannot neglect about the case. Sort of like Stephensville, a whole bunch of people saw a UFO and then there was fake footage put out.

Over the following two weeks, hundreds of people saw the fast moving lights in and around the town of Lubbock. Most of the witnesses agreed that they first noticed the lights appear at about 45° above the horizon, pass over and disappear at about the same angle.

Just saying, with all the commotion about UFO crashes and from what we can tell about 20 years after the abductions started taking place for a new massive genetics program ran by aliens who have probably known about earth hundreds of thousands of years, these are the type of reports we would have if it were all true. And in the early 50s reports of UFOs were in newspapers around all of the states, including a mass sighting of hundreds of UFOs from space in northern new Mexico.

Looking at the time of the day it is easy to think that somebody had spoken to the 3 scientists about this case and told them to debunk it. How can 3 scientists think that objects are 50,000 feet in the air and traveling at 5 miles per second and just say - 'oh, I think the objects were that high in the air, but since they were birds it means they weren't that high thus not moving that fast. it just doesn't make sense.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Wow, 120 degrees in 2 seconds is not something that a flock of birds could do without being so low that you would EASILY be able to identify them.....

posted on Jun, 2 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by IMSAM

I understand that there are many threads on this, it is not necessary to constantly give me links to other threads; I search for threads on the subjects I am going to base my threads on, before I post a new thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join