It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nice example of manipulation through MSM

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Monday, there was a large demonstration in Paris against gay marriage and the new law allowing it.

I woke up on tuesday at 05:30 am as my untrustworthy radio-app decided to fall back to its default radio station: Bayern 1. Which is transmitted from bavaria, which is a very catholic federal state in southern Germany. And it is public-service broadcasting.

The top news was a report about the demonstration in Paris the day before.
The reporter told us about the number of participants on this anti-gay-marriage demonstration: "about 250.000, the host claims about a million".

Later on, on my way to work (at about 06:30 am) I listened to my local radio station, NDR 2. Which is also public-service broadcasting, but transmitted from Hamburg, a town in the more-or-less secular northern part of Germany.

The third or fourth topic was a report about the demonstration in Paris the day before.
The reporter told us about the number of participants on this anti-gay-marriage demonstration: "several ten thousands of people, the police claims about 150.000".

Of course, this discrepancy rose my suspicion, so I checked the website of BR 1 to verify that they still claimed that there were more than 250.000 people involved. There they had it revised to numbers similar to NDR 2.

My question is: where the news at 05:30 am badly investigated? Where they hampered to install a "first thought" in the morning? Or were they simply a try to give the anti-gay-movement in France and their morally related catholic partners-in-mind in bavaria a nice start in the morning?

edit on 29-5-2013 by ManFromEurope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Lets get a larger sample size.

The Christian Post says

Police claim approximately 150,000 participated in the event, while organizers say as many as 1 million were present and others say 400,000 is a more accurate number.

The Christian Broadcasting Network says

French police say 150,000 people took part but march organizers said that more than a million were involved.

Catholic Culture say

and police officials placed the official estimate of the crowd’s size at only 150,000. But organizers claimed a million participants,

So in comparison, do we have an agreed list of "secular" news outlets?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Unless they did an actual head count then a guesstimate is the best they can do, and its very difficult to accurately gauge the size of a large public gathering.

King

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

i would believe the french police numbers - as using conspiracy logic :

1 - claiming big numbers allows the police to deflect culpability away from any failings to maintain order - with the escuse " there were too many of them "

2 - big protests and threats to public order allow the police to justify demanding bigger budgets / manpower / equipment / powers and relaxed rules of engagement - peace and stability lead to cuts in police budgets

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope

My question is: where the news at 05:30 am badly investigated? Where they hampered to install a "first thought" in the morning? Or were they simply a try to give the anti-gay-movement in France and their morally related catholic partners-in-mind in bavaria a nice start in the morning?

No, i don't think it had anything to do with hampering.

On the msm over here in France the organisers were saying that a million people attended and official police sources stated only 250 000.

I think that people have other things which are more important to protest about nowadays other than ant-gay marriage... those protestors are starting to get on a lot of peoples wicks over here!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
reply to post by ManFromEurope

i would believe the french police numbers - as using conspiracy logic :

1 - claiming big numbers allows the police to deflect culpability away from any failings to maintain order - with the escuse " there were too many of them "

2 - big protests and threats to public order allow the police to justify demanding bigger budgets / manpower / equipment / powers and relaxed rules of engagement - peace and stability lead to cuts in police budgets

except the police are claiming smaller numbers

in addition conspiracy logic dictates that the authorities have a vested interest in downplaying the opposition

perhaps you should keep this failure firmly and foremost in mind whenever you attempt to "sanely" debunk elsewhere?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

try re - reading my post - and actually understanding it

yes the police did claim small numbers - because the numbers were small - it is religious oponents of gay marriage who are attempting to inflate the scale of the opposition

and like i say - if no crime / unrest occurs - the police are redundant

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kingears

I think we first need a definition of accurately, there can be very close approximations it only needs the police to check some of the cameras do a simple headcount in a frame consider the travel time of the mass of people and note the time it took for the mass to go beyond that choke point. Other data points also exist from increase of public transportation before and after the event etc... it is not rocket science...

The bunch of idiots that think that we are also all moron that can't see the spin they do on the numbers and the interests behind that spin are losing their ground fast, even if most people do not care, have time to or are simply fast becoming slow, as recently reported as a group the information is now available that simple manipulations will not work anymore...

posted on Jun, 4 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Monday, there was a large demonstration in Paris against gay marriage and the new law allowing it.

I woke up on tuesday at 05:30 am as my untrustworthy radio-app decided to fall back to its default radio station: Bayern 1. Which is transmitted from bavaria, which is a very catholic federal state in southern Germany. And it is public-service broadcasting.

The top news was a report about the demonstration in Paris the day before.
The reporter told us about the number of participants on this anti-gay-marriage demonstration: "about 250.000, the host claims about a million".

Later on, on my way to work (at about 06:30 am) I listened to my local radio station, NDR 2. Which is also public-service broadcasting, but transmitted from Hamburg, a town in the more-or-less secular northern part of Germany.

The third or fourth topic was a report about the demonstration in Paris the day before.
The reporter told us about the number of participants on this anti-gay-marriage demonstration: "several ten thousands of people, the police claims about 150.000".

Of course, this discrepancy rose my suspicion, so I checked the website of BR 1 to verify that they still claimed that there were more than 250.000 people involved. There they had it revised to numbers similar to NDR 2.

I'm not sure where I stand on this
I think my ... urges - are just lust. I can lust after females just the same but not as easy.
Morally I suppose I just push em down
I don't like the lust lifestyle gay or straight but I won't bash my beliefs in everyones face
I'd rather shut my mouth on this topic and sound smart opposed to starting a flame war
the whole marriage part...idk - is there actually love there or is it just lust? If I could tell for sure my opinion would be solid

top topics

join