It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart fined $110 million for dumping toxic chemicals in California

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
You know, I got to thinking on this a bit and this whole call for fines seems silly and really counterproductive. It's a tax by a different name and don't our corrupt politicians already get a wee TOO much money to waste as it is? Why not make the penalty fit AND hit Walmart where it hurts?

If they can't handle Chemicals within Missouri and California state laws? Fine...but no fines.
Simply prohibit Walmart from selling any similar products or chemicals within those state markets for a set period. 1yr? 2yrs? Whatever for the level of offense.

It would give locals a bump with a time to plan as a bonus, for taking back the market on the given item type. It also punishes Walmart in customers lost to those who haven't shown criminal levels of irresponsibility with handling it. They lose the money and probably far more of it ...but not into the pockets of the corrupt. They just flat lose it, period ...and other stores benefit.

Absolutely "Insane"

Welcome back, Br'er Rabbit, to the "Madness"
if this is the beginning of a trend
I see a position in the C.U.T as Archbishop opening up for you

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

You shouldn't be eating that crap either.

Really, there is no apologizing for these people. We are talking about chemicals which can kill people in certain dosages. When you dump it without a second thought it goes in the water. You are just crapping where you eat. Dumb move if you ask me.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Walmart is evil . Go to TARGET instead .

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
As someone who never -ever- shops at Walmart, I would just like to say this to the people that do.

Thanks guys.

You facilitated this.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by interupt42

You shouldn't be eating that crap either.

I don't disagree but those where just some examples, but we don't all have the same resources available to us depending where we live.

Really, there is no apologizing for these people. We are talking about chemicals which can kill people in certain dosages. When you dump it without a second thought it goes in the water. You are just crapping where you eat. Dumb move if you ask me.

I'm not apologizing for those people by any means.

However, we live in a society where you can pay to play and I'm sure the illegal dumping fees was a calculated business expense/investment. Typically no one goes to jail and they get a slap in the wrist and by the time they get caught they already more then doubled their savings. Therefore I understand why they did it, it typically just makes business sense.

However, the problem is not them, its our political cheerleaders allowing our politicians to create laws that favor big corruptions and allowing them to pay to play without any jail time.

They are doing their job ,we are not. Their job is to make as much money as possible for their executive stock board holders and our jobs is to regulate them to ensure our safety. It looks like they are doing their part we are not.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
One of the many reasons I don't even ever shop there.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Its interesting to read this, as a employee of walmart canada I hear and read how people have found stuff in the food or what not. Im really sick and tired of people blaming solely Walmart for it. We deal with outside vendors and companies. We dont cut our own meats, we go though a 3rd party and have it delivered. I think here in Canada the only thing we actually make now is breads, as all the new super stores have a bakery. We do from time to time get recalls from food companies even as popular as Campbell's. We had a recall on one of there soups before. All Im saying is.... you cant just put the blame on walmart for cretin things like that when really its not even in there control.
Now as far as this story goes, Im actually really super surprised. I mean here in Canada.... That store manager would be in Jail..... No fine no nothing.... Jail. We have had a few work related things happen here with health and safety. 2 Employees in the last 6 to 8 months have died because of a store managers neglect. Both people were electrocuted by a bad extension cord and the store manager is now doing time.
Anyways Walmart here in Canada is so for recycling and protecting the environment I had a hard time believing this story at first. But really nothing theses days really shocks me. People will always try to save a buck or cut corners.
Its just sad that they have to hurt our planet to do so

edit on 30-5-2013 by JayGatZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2013 by JayGatZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2013 by JayGatZ because: Spelling errors

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by JayGatZ

I bet that extension cord would shock you.

Seriously, though - I agree, where is the prison time for this kind of thing. They couldn't possibly know that what they were doing wasn't wrong, they just banked on never getting caught. Besides, ignorance of a law never stopped anyone else from getting busted for breaking them.
edit on 30-5-2013 by KyrieEleison because: replaced derp with herp

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Yeah,I guess Walmart's legal army must have missed this one.Like the company can't pay to dispose of these poisons responsibly?I HOPE the fine serves as a wake up call for them.Disgraceful conduct.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

since Wal-Mart had sales of 443.85 billion dollars in 2012, which works out to approx. 1.2 billion a day
www.marketwatch.com...

their fine would be equivalent to a person making 100 dollars a day, having 10 bucks deducted from a entire years pay.
edit on 30-5-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I read another story on that website that convinced me Raw Story is more left wing opinion than fact. So I'm inclined to watch out for fantasy and bias mixed in with the facts.

edit: this story is being run everywhere verbatim in most instances, but one story said other companies were being warned for similar infractions of environmental regulation.
edit on 30-5-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Wal-fart rips another big one. 110 million dollars, to wal-mart, that's like, a store out of business, and not one of the big ones, but a tiny country village store, out of their kajillion stores. I hate their mainstream products and their hiring practices and their filthy entrances full of the same nickel-and-diming gizmos to keep poor people poor. All that power and they still have redboxes and claw games and gumball machines in their entries, when they could engineer their customers to not hover like flies on a barrel of pig feces. The clothes fall apart after a few weeks and their furniture is particleboard. Likely the obesity rates correlate with the walmart rates in the nation. They have a websites dedicated to their freaks.

And now the chemicals? Decimate them! Not 110 million, 1100 million!

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by boncho

I really don't understand this hate on Wal-mart.

What bad customer service did you get?

You taking back that ten dollar vegetable steamer you grandma bought you and you had to wait in line for 20 minutes?

Its a fricken grocery store for pete's sake.

I hope for your own sake you are not buying grocerys at walmart.

My head is spinning. Can't tell if it's naive or ignorant. It reminds me of the snark I'd get from a deacon's wife, after spending 20 years at church still believing that skirts are a marker of holiness in women. Stahp.

The smack talk, and the soft swearing, stahp. It was bad enough when I thought HC was an AI or a corporate shill. Now it's mutating into trash talk. Stahp with the trivial bickering! Oh my gosh I don't want to get angry and turn green and hulk out and smash this debate into the ground.

Saying walmart is just a grocery store is like saying cancer is just a bunch of cells. I'm going to go to another thread now and save my clothes from ripping.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join