It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart fined $110 million for dumping toxic chemicals in California

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
So what is your alternative?

How about a higher fine for starters, would you have a probelm with that? ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sounds like a few mouthbreathing employees weren't doing their jobs right, someone complained, and the hammer came down on Walmart because everyone hates Walmart. But these kinds of things happen in every company, in every state, every day. Focusing on one company in particular distracts you from the fact that the poisoning of the planet is ubiquitous and a predictable outcome of the work-buy-consume-die culture we live in. But very few people are capable of questioning the philosophies that guide our entire civilization, so it's just dumbed down to "Walmart sucks". Pay no attention to anything else.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I'm a little fuzzy on a detail here and the OP link didn't clear it up entirely. Was this pesticide dumped in bulk as in...used by Walmart on landscaping and other things then disposed of badly? Or is this unsold/damaged containers of pesticide off the shelves that either didn't sell or were unsellable by condition off the pallet?

It makes a difference to my thinking in whether it's negligence or outright malicious/deliberate criminal action? Some store employees tossing broken cases of 1 gallon insecticide containers into dumpsters so the inventory reports show the true quantity came to be outrageous really is a different thing from some bastard upending a bulk container into the gutter or storm drain directly. Maybe not in effect...but radically different in intent and malice.

I dislike Walmart because their 'Always Lower Prices' *ARE* true and come by selling at an outright loss, on some products and in some markets, strictly to insure the local competition for a class of widget is ground under their size 12 boot. Then that market will see Walmart's price on the widget creep back to real levels when they alone survive, to be the one selling it. That's capitalism at it's purest, but also most vicious when done with the sheer power and economic force of Walmart/Sams Club, IMO.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Two million pounds is an awful lot to cram in a dumpster, Wrabbit. Just saying.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

I don't know the time frame or the context? My truck brought products to Walmart D.C.'s at about 44,500lbs per trip and occasionally to Walmart stores with an average pallet or two per product ordered. I mean it ALL goes somewhere...and if it's not sold before shelves change products? Not everything goes back to the D.C.....certainly not chemicals that shipped to Walmart as non-reportable consumer quantity....but get a bunch together to return, at once? Uh Oh... Now you may or may not have Hazmat regs for the shipment.

I can see real reasons to dump it in the trash with everything else ...and over time? That's a lot of stuff. That is something California would go absolutely bananas over too.

The world’s largest retailer was fined for dumping hazardous chemicals in city trash bins and sewer systems in cases filed by the Los Angeles and San Francisco municipalities.

In addition, the US Justice Department said Wal-Mart Stores had mishandled pesticides it had sent as damaged products to a Missouri recycling facility that resulted in them being mixed together and put on sale again in a process that violated federal laws regulating pesticide processing.
(Op Link)

Generally speaking, it sounds like their policy was one of pure chaos for having any fixed policy on what to do with the stuff.

It's kinda crazy really... I have about 20 gallons of paint myself. I can't use it..I cannot, by law, throw it away and the city recycler for paint will take a couple cans a year. Nice...10 years to get rid of it.
Old containers of oil are even worse....and we don't even want to touch pesticide/herbicide like Walmart just found.

Heck. half of what I have in my shed is literally a California state crime to even possess without license and training. Hard to say based on this info..just what was done or how?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Well Corporations are people are'nt they? So my solution would be to send wal-mart to prison...well you can't send a building to prison you say? bring the prison to the building... Chain the doors of every wal-mart for a year or ten years, whatever a normal person would be sentenced to for dumping that many toxins into the enviroment.

Corporations wanted to be classified as people for political donations and they got it, well "people" can go to jail. Can't really have it both ways can they???

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

The world’s largest retailer was fined for dumping hazardous chemicals in city trash bins and sewer systems in cases filed by the Los Angeles and San Francisco municipalities.

if they are doing this in Los Angeles and San Francisco they are doing it at every store in every state.

as for walmart or other big chain stores driving small home town stores out of business that is bull.
the small home town stores were badly managed and did not adept is why they went out of business.

a friend of mine owns a hardware store and has a Super Walmart and Home Depot in town and still make good money by stocking products that nether big store carries. if fact he was able to free up room in his store for more stock because he got rid of his common plywood and started stocking high grade paneling and high grade tile.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Man, that is so frustrating. It definitely explains why some countries have opted for the WEEE Directive - if this stuff is going to be put out "in the wild" there better be a way to get it back out.

Just the other week I had sat for over an hour in line to dispose of some medical sharps, and I saw SUV after SUV getting turned away by the hazmat disposal service the county set up, only taking maybe one or two cans and refusing all the rest.

Then when it came my turn, they flat out refused and said, "We can't take it from you 'cos noone take it from us." and then proceeded to give me some flyer with an 800 number on it to see if I qualified for some container to me mailed to me to then ship it off in.

I told the guy that most of us in line here are just trying to do the responsible thing and they are not making it very easy for us, what would happen if people just started tossing this stuff out of frustration which was met by a robotic repetition of what I was initially told.

It's stupid.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
110mil? Pocket change for Wal-Mart, this won't deter them from doing the same thing again. If we actually started handing out fines that mattered to all these big corporations we might start to effect change, but fines like this pretty much just make you think the people handing out the fines are colluding with those getting fined.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You know, I got to thinking on this a bit and this whole call for fines seems silly and really counterproductive. It's a tax by a different name and don't our corrupt politicians already get a wee TOO much money to waste as it is? Why not make the penalty fit AND hit Walmart where it hurts?

If they can't handle Chemicals within Missouri and California state laws? Fine...but no fines.
Simply prohibit Walmart from selling any similar products or chemicals within those state markets for a set period. 1yr? 2yrs? Whatever for the level of offense.

It would give locals a bump with a time to plan as a bonus, for taking back the market on the given item type. It also punishes Walmart in customers lost to those who haven't shown criminal levels of irresponsibility with handling it. They lose the money and probably far more of it ...but not into the pockets of the corrupt. They just flat lose it, period ...and other stores benefit.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Have the government break up Wal-mart?

Considering the size of their corporation you can expect some misdeeds to happen somewhere. Obviously they are not doing this everywhere and this was an isolated incident.

But what the heck...break them up....

Sad

Don't shop at Wal-Mart - Don't listen to Fairy Trolls. Life doesn't get much better than that.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
if they are doing this in Los Angeles and San Francisco they are doing it at every store in every state.

You bring up a very good point, which tells me that there needs to be a Nationwide investigation.

Sam Walton (owner of Walmart) buys most of his goods from China. Seems to me he's following in the footsteps of his business partners by taking a crap on the environment. Course don't expect anything to be done about it, China owns all the politicans, including their manchurian canidate Obama.

Yep folks, it's economics 1st, Planet Earth and humanity 2nd. Hey! reminds me of the biggest modern day cover up of mankind, Fukushima. Can't lose a buck now can we?
~$heopleNation
edit on 29-5-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Walmart food stinks. Fruits and veggies go bad within a day. It tastes like chemicals. Their products are not much cheaper than other big stores. But they are putting others out of business due to low prices and having it all in one place. I rarely go there anymore in spite of all this - just because its way over stimulating and like a zoo most of the time. I'd rather clip a few coupons and hit my local market. I have a feeling that any big chain is a candidate for bad behavior and we contribute by paying them to continue. I think of it this way, how much crap does a person really need (to live healthfully and comfortably)? I can buy a loaf of bread for 20 cents more down the road and not waste. You can certainly get more for your money at these stores but how much of it is thrown away (food wise)? It's just been my experience that people buy more than they really need so maybe not saving as much but rather acquiring more. This type of store appeals to the mentality of needing stuff people truly don't "need". It's marketing and they are good at it.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
You know, I got to thinking on this a bit and this whole call for fines seems silly and really counterproductive. It's a tax by a different name and don't our corrupt politicians already get a wee TOO much money to waste as it is? Why not make the penalty fit AND hit Walmart where it hurts?

If they can't handle Chemicals within Missouri and California state laws? Fine...but no fines.
Simply prohibit Walmart from selling any similar products or chemicals within those state markets for a set period. 1yr? 2yrs? Whatever for the level of offense.

It would give locals a bump with a time to plan as a bonus, for taking back the market on the given item type. It also punishes Walmart in customers lost to those who haven't shown criminal levels of irresponsibility with handling it. They lose the money and probably far more of it ...but not into the pockets of the corrupt. They just flat lose it, period ...and other stores benefit.

Or instead, hit them with huge fines but make all fine money go to charity.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

Ummm no, how about it going to the environment?

Course, If the State collects the fines, I doubt it will go to neither. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

Ummm no, how about it going to the environment?

Course, If the State collects the fines, I doubt it will go to neither. ~$heopleNation

Well in order to get to the "environment" it would have to go to some non-profit and be handled correctly, so we are suggesting the same thing.... the idea is keeping the money out of government hands where it will feed the cycle.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
About time walmart pays for their evil deeds

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost
Well in order to get to the "environment" it would have to go to some non-profit and be handled correctly, so we are suggesting the same thing.... the idea is keeping the money out of government hands where it will feed the cycle.

Well yeah so you and I agree then my friend.

At the same time though, many so-called non-profit organizations still have some carpetbagger who is skimming off the top, so nothing gets accomplished. Same deal with the politicans unfortunately.

Instead, the funds should be directed towards folks like The Sierra Club, Green Peace, The National Wildlife Association ect who already have established a good track record. Hard to police even them though I would guess. I agree though, these things need to be handled correctly.

The trouble is finding out how to do just that and also find and locate those honest people who will execute an honest agenda that will end up helping us clean up this planet so that life can flourish and future human beings can enjoy planet Earth and all of it's gifts and fruits the way it was intended in this Universe. ~$heopleNation
edit on 29-5-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
110 million?

The store in my small city I just got a job at made 61 million in profit last year alone. Not a small city, but you have to drive 15 miles across state lines to get to bigger stores like Best Buy.

That is nothing compared to the potential danger if any chemicals worked their way into ground water reserves, or possible future problems arising.

Hell I could get fired if I talk bad about Walmart on facebook or even ATS. They even told us during orientation they monitor social media.

I hate Walmart with a passion, they keep businesses from growing or even created because they cannot compete with distribution centers.

Oh and "Meal Times". You don't get a lunch break, you get a meal time. The wording of it is just plain creepy.

Paying wages less than a dollar a day in other outsourced countries is wrong no matter how you look at it.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

reply to post by boncho

I really don't understand this hate on Wal-mart.

What bad customer service did you get?

You taking back that ten dollar vegetable steamer you grandma bought you and you had to wait in line for 20 minutes?

Its a fricken grocery store for pete's sake.

I hope for your own sake you are not buying grocerys at walmart.

She probably is, which would explain the consistent reactionary attitude and apparent low IQ.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join