It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Buddha says true freedom is freedom of desire...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Only when one feels powerless do they need to control. People control to get what they want and they feel like that can only happen through manipulation and control. Either that or, they fear to lose the control. So control is always dealing with negative emotions: fear (of losing something), desperation (to get something)...

Then negative emotions such as hate, anger, jealousy, or sadness happens when we feel that we couldn't control to get what we want.

Without desire you are free of control.

Letting go thoughts of lack and staying with thoughts of Satisfaction (or perfection) will help loosen the grip of needing to control all others for self-fulfillment.

Some people do not like Buddhism because it teaches about destroying "The Self" but it is not the TRUE self that is being destroyed it is the FALSE self.

The TRUE self feels whole, complete, satisfied.
The FALSE self feels separate, incomplete, unsatisfied needing to always seek and control.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
You mean like destroying the ego?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

How can you destroy something that doesn't exist?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

If by ego you mean false self as described in the original post then yes, it is about destroying that to see the whole powerful satisfied self.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Do you mean "freedom FROM desire?"

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Though I agree with what is said in the OP I must say that this comes at a price, no not money, but the price that this type of thinking is so misunderstood that it actually scares people to discuss it, or even try it for themselves. If and this is some people, if you begin this life there are people and things that you will slowly begin to realize you dont need, and or want.

This is tough for many in the end. I know because it has happened to me.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

The understanding is simple: by getting rid of desire one is already fulfilled and any action will be in the moment as "extra" happiness rather than desperation FOR happiness.

This message is the same as the "all is one - enlightenment" thread, the only difference is the emphasis in feeling satisfied now. All is one nothing is missing that must be here now and if you MUST do something then understand that it is just the natural changing .
edit on 28-5-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
Only when one feels powerless do they need to control. People control to get what they want and they feel like that can only happen through manipulation and control.

Yes this is associated with LACK of acknowledging that the ARE part of the whole. And since some do not acknowledge the connections to the whole there then is an area or areas of unbalanced consciousness generated. These areas then allow one or some the feeling that they can fulfill this LACK by behavong or conducting themselves as Controllers or Rulers over other CREATOR Creations. And thru these actions upon other CREATOR Creations some tend to gain a FEELING that they have accomplished the experienced feeling of the power or Strength of the whole as they feel power over others, which then consciously fills the LACK void (generated from not acknowledging the WHOLE nor their connection to it)... with Power - separation - almost WILLfully alienating themselves (no disrespect with alienated 1 hopes many understand) into somewhat and INVISIBLE or undetected YET metaphysical CAGE... designed from their OWN negative intents to Control and so become controlled. Potentially.

Then negative emotions such as hate, anger, jealousy, or sadness happens when we feel that we couldn't control to get what we want.

Agreed...

Without desire you are free of control.

For why would one 1 want to attempt to control the WHOLE and yet not acknowledge it... And for those who DO acknowledge the experience of the WHOLE why then would the want to place FORCE - CONTROL on any part of it the whole knowing that Ultimately their understanding of it the ALL* is subjectively understood unless THE CREATOR or SOURCE ...

So 1 also agrees no need to desire over others, FREES ones from the NEED to Control- Force which can OPEN passages to *NIRVANA* or FREEDOM

Nirvāṇa (Sanskrit: निर्वाण; Pali: निब्बान nibbāna ; Prakrit: णिव्वाण) is an ancient Sanskrit term used in Indian religions to describe the profound peace of mind that is acquired with moksha (liberation). In shramanic thought, it is the state of being free from suffering. In Hindu philosophy, it is union with the Brahman (Supreme Being).

The word literally means "blown out" (as in a candle) and refers, in the Buddhist context, to the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion, and delusion have been finally extinguished.[1]

"The Self" but it is not the TRUE self that is being destroyed it is the FALSE self.

The TRUE self feels whole, complete, satisfied.
The FALSE self feels separate, incomplete, unsatisfied needing to always seek and control.

Thank you arpgme

NAMASTE*******

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Do you regret it?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Buddhism is a religion ?

Who is the messenger ?

Buddhism is what western govts want people to be.

And that is one reason that it is not right.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

Nope

Hence the name NRE that I have been using for many years now. I have made it my business to try, and I say try because I still make mistakes, but I do try to make sure that I own up to my responsibilities, but also control those that I allow in my life, and what happiness means to me and my family.

The wake up call wasnt for or about me, but after finding freedom I was able to dismiss those in my life that I would otherwise thought were lifting me up, were actually pulling me down.

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

spirit-alembic.com...

edit on 5/28/13 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

So if the government wanted everyone to be Buddhist that would mean it is "not right"?

The government wants people to keep striving without stopping. This endless wanting and lack will keep the government feel useful in providing ( of course they will not help others to feel completely fulfilled or there would be nothing else to long/ask for.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Maybs it does maybe it doesn't it really is a pointless argument.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It's what life is about experiencing the physical. No need to judge, just experience.

A belief is a dogma.

Buddha gives his Dogma, whoever subscribes to it is there choice just like everything else in life.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

For some it is Alice. It is the thoughts of lack and control...

I need...
I want...
I must...

Letting go of these thoughts will help one to feel complete .

But what about this...
But what about that...

These are thoughts that tries to justify the type of thoughts.

Even without the thought of I *need* food; eating will still happen but the longing and confusion will be gone

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Do you believe that the idea that desir/longing will lead to feeling like something is missing that should be there... A dogma? How can one seek if nothing is missing?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

reply to post by Realtruth

Do you believe that the idea that desir/longing will lead to feeling like something is missing that should be there... A dogma? How can one seek if nothing is missing?

Just the illusion that something is missing.

If everything is already there, then we wouldn't need the illusion we are in.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If its an illusion that something is missing then it isn't true. You say it must be "needed". Needed for what/whom?

Needing implies Two.
It's an illusion keeping itself alive even "need" is just another feeling of lack within it.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Isn't freedom from desire also a desire? What if I desire health? What if I desire creativity? We should perhaps not get rid of desire, but desire the right things—that which is healthy. No?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join