It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coping with alcoholism.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hey guys, this isn't something I am particularly proud of, so hold back your insults and unconstructive criticisim please.

I believe I have become an alcoholic. It has effected my job, love life, social life, health, and mental health, among other things.

I have an alcoholism history in my family and I'm afraid I have inherited it..... unfortunately. in the past year it has gotten worse than ever, my cravings are getting stronger, and the amount I drink is increasing. I will go a week or so without drinking, but then I find a trigger and I binge for four or five days drinking no less than a 12 pack every day. then I catch myself and quit for another week or so, in that time I commonly attend AA meetings. but I always seem to find myself drinking again after being triggered by almost anything really, mostly stress I have to say. it has become an addiction I am sorry to say. I thought I was stronger than this but I guess I'm not.

So I have come here to ask any of you how you cope with this, because I know I'm not alone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have the desire to quit, but I didn't think it would be this difficult.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by llmacgregor

Well although some would say that alcoholism is inherited, I firmly believe you can dig yourself out of any hole you've created.

Firstly it's good that you've taken responsibility and are admitting to having an issue. It's good that you are in AA meetings ( although all that God crap is a bit much). and seeking some sort of solution.

I think it's best that you try and identify what are the stresses in your life and why they actually exist. Then work on minimizing them and finding an alternative to drinking when they do get a bit too much.

I can give you a million different things to try as a substitute, but at the end of the day, it's going to come down what works best for you and how much work YOU are willing to do to get better.

I will tell you based on what you said, you are drinking too much and I would consider your level as high functioning alcoholic. Low functioning is only a few drinks away my friend and if it's already affected your personal life in adverse ways, you'll have to decide what's more important.

You or the bottle.

Good luck and PM if you ever need to chat.

`Tenth

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Valerian root (obtained at a health food store) relieves/reduces the cravings, and relaxes you. I know several people who got away from alcohol this way.

At least you recognize that it has become a problem and want to do something about. Good luck to you!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Hi op

at the moment you are a binge drinker you can stop you have for a week.

I not so long ago would wake up after 4 hrs sleep and carack a can of schol super
then go to a an interview

when i had a job i would wake up crack a can then a smoke and drive to work down the country lanes
with a cheesy grin on my face thinking im in gta or something.
Today its still a struggle but manageable.
You prove to yourself you can do it cos i know you can, because your only at the beginning stages
believe me ive lived it.
good luck.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I have tried drinking beer. Which I hate. I will tell you, I can't see how anybody who drinks that stuff even gets a buzz. Beer doesn't do anything for me. And, I have drank a 12 pack just to experiment on how it makes me feel. I won't drink that or wine.

But I do you hope you get things straightened out.

Try going to AA meeting.

Maybe that will help.
edit on 28-5-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by llmacgregor

So I have come here to ask any of you how you cope with this, because I know I'm not alone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have the desire to quit, but I didn't think it would be this difficult.

Don't drink on your own before 9 pm at night. That will help deal with your cravings (you will drink today, just later) and minimize the harm your drinking causes to your work and social life.

Its too easy to fall off of the wagon. If you allow yourself to do so every night but only late into the evening, other people can handle your drinking much more easily.

I base this on my experience I had living with an alcoholic.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here is your test for I once found myself in the same shoes (except I was taken to the hospital after a two day bender by the wife and my bac was .45 and I was still coherent.)

Do without for two months...just two months...mark the days off on the calendar if you have to cor the first couple of days. And find something else to do. It is easier said than done...but just find some little hobby to distract you.
If you can then forget about the hooch for 2 months...it was never a problem.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If you get to the point in trying to quit that you get the DT'S, jitters, whatever...your general practitioner can give you something call Librax that alleviates most of the symptoms and makes it easier to quit.

eta: Good Luck
edit on 5/28/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Valerian root (obtained at a health food store) relieves/reduces the cravings, and relaxes you. I know several people who got away from alcohol this way.

At least you recognize that it has become a problem and want to do something about. Good luck to you!

Valium...one of the only drugs I consider safe is merely concentrated valerian root. Some days I take none some days I take about 40-60mgs and I can still function. It is also recommended for those trying to hop on the wagon permanently...takes the withdrawl symptoms away.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

As others have said. Quit while you still can. You're in the early stages. You think it's difficult now?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by llmacgregor
Hey guys, this isn't something I am particularly proud of, so hold back your insults and unconstructive criticisim please.

I believe I have become an alcoholic. It has effected my job, love life, social life, health, and mental health, among other things.

I have an alcoholism history in my family and I'm afraid I have inherited it..... unfortunately. in the past year it has gotten worse than ever, my cravings are getting stronger, and the amount I drink is increasing. I will go a week or so without drinking, but then I find a trigger and I binge for four or five days drinking no less than a 12 pack every day. then I catch myself and quit for another week or so, in that time I commonly attend AA meetings. but I always seem to find myself drinking again after being triggered by almost anything really, mostly stress I have to say. it has become an addiction I am sorry to say. I thought I was stronger than this but I guess I'm not.

Also...and this is the big one...ALCOHOLISM IS NOT A DISEASE. NO ONE SNEEZES AND YOU CATCH ALCOHOLISM FROM THEM. IT IS NOT AN STD OR OTHERWISE RELATED THING.

YOU HAVE A CHOICE. PLAIN AND SIMPLE...DO I PICK UP THAT BOTTLE OR TWELVE OR DO I BE RESPONSIBLE AND ACT LIKE AN ADULT.

Sorry...didnt mean to sound like an ass...but that is what it comes down to. YOU. Not some HIGHER POWER or holding hands with crackhead johnny and heroin tony every week.
You.

And you know what, I believe in you...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Hi! My name is Milt, and I'm an alcoholic. I haven't had a "drink" since 1992!

Yep! I believe you have too!

Attending AA meetings isn't enough, and quite often, what works for one doesn't always work for another.

I have three suggestions for you:
1) Read and try to understand "The Big Book". If nothing else, you will gain great insights into both yourself, and alcoholism.

2) Stay away from friends while they drink.

3) When you fall off of "the wagon", don't waste your time beating yourself up. Just climb back on to it, before it leaves you in the dust.

If you keep trying to quit drinking long enough, and HARD enough, there is no reason that you, too, can't succeed.

See ya buddy,
Milt

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Actually medical professionals agree it is (and all addictions) are a mental disease. Just because it isn't cancer or an STD doesn't mean it isn't a disease.

It can lay dormant in you until you reach that point, and THAT point is different for everyone, but after that it takes over your life and your thoughts till you either die, go to jail, or get on a path to recovery. Even if a recovering alcoholic hasn't drank in 20 years, he is STILL an alcoholic.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   

i as well have been on the same boat but i just drink about 6 drinks spread through out the day everyday for years. My health seems fine although i dont sleep well without my drinks, i spend too much money, and some people close to me are worrying. I finally decided to go 24 hours with out a drink and i felt it. My mind wasn't right and I seemed to be off balance. I agreed with my girlfriend that I will go one day a week without drinking and im not looking forward to it but maybe in a couple months i can go 48 and so on and so forth. If you want someone to chat it up with u2u me. My dad is AA and it works for him it dosnt work for me. But since i haven't tried to just chat it up with a fellow atser this might be what im looking for to stop drinking so much, so i am willing to give it a shot. Good luck with your pursuit.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Besides AA, there is a group out there called MM As in Moderation Matters. My root problems in depression and anxiety were what kept me back from a normal lifestyle for so long. Since discovering MM and reading the "oh sorry baby Jesus" AA "I'm worthless and need other people to make me feel better literature"

know what I prefer...and what I live by. I am actually looking at opening up a new chapter of MM in the Delaware/pa/Maryland area. U2u me if interested...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

although all that God crap is a bit much

No it's not! There is no "God crap" involved in AA. It's all about having a "higher power"! Even as an agnostic, I didn't have a damn bit of trouble admitting that I had grown to know a number of them. Judges, cops, and probation officers are only a few of them. It's left up to the individual to decide what their own "higher power" is.

See ya,
Milt

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Actually medical professionals agree it is (and all addictions) are a mental disease. Just because it isn't cancer or an STD doesn't mean it isn't a disease.

It can lay dormant in you until you reach that point, and THAT point is different for everyone, but after that it takes over your life and your thoughts till you either die, go to jail, or get on a path to recovery. Even if a recovering alcoholic hasn't drank in 20 years, he is STILL an alcoholic.

What if I never wanted a drink ever in my life...but took a shot of heroin instead even though I didnt want one...did it lie dormant in the back of my mind or did I JUST MAKE A CHOICE TO USE A SUBSTANCE...ACHOOO!!!!!! NOW YOU HAVE ALCOHOLISM. SORRY.

edit on 28-5-2013 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

So can being an idiot if you are surrounded by them...by your definition...be called a disease.

Wow.

Good job embracing what this site denies.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

So can being an idiot if you are surrounded by them...by your definition...be called a disease.

Wow.

Good job embracing what this site denies.

Quit espousing the Holier than thou crap... I retooled my post. And I must say I do respect you and have defended you previously...it has only been recent that I have had a chance to return. Im sorry if I made a turd sandwich...you know...I'll even take the first bite...sorry man...just a totally different belief system than what is in the dsm 4

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Hi op just wanted to say

i got some meds of the doc 5yr ago to combat the sickness and sweats
i took a tab and fell asleep, woke up vomiting and for the next 12 hrs i couldn't keep any fluids down.
THEN when i tried to get to sleep i got RLS (restless leg syndrome) its real.
that scared me.
i threw away the meds and went cold turkey.
You can avoid this mate and you know you can,but for the love of existence DO COLD TURKEY
dont touch the meds

I will rarely say such things but your not up the creek yet pal

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join