It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Problem Going To Church.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I wanted to put this out there- Some of my relatives, Democrats, are not willing to go to Church, for awhile, anyway, since the churches so strongly back Bush.
They dont want to sit there amongst those responsible for 4 more years of Bush.
Do you feel this way?
Is anyone here nausiated at the prospect of sitting with Republicans at church, and hearing sermons that undoubtedly refer to how great our country is going. I would appreciate your input.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
if they are that devout to their political standpoints and so disgusted with hatred for republicans that they dont want to go to church they obviouslly have verry little moral longing to be in teh presence of God and dont follow the religion well enough to even say they are an established person in the church

if you meant if i felt like i shoulnd go to church because i dont like republicans im sorry i messed up your thread already ill remove this post if it is nessaciry

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
There was a preacher here that was telling his congregation to vote bush or not to bother comming back to church. My daughter came home from church sunday before last and said that some grown ups were talking about Kerry killing and eating Babies. I think it is time to examine the church's tax exempt status if they are going to become a tool of any political organization.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
i might have expected something like this from someone here. They have morals, alright. THEY DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE " THANK YOU GOD, AND BLESS OUR PRESIDENT" crap.
They dont want to listen to the priest glorify Bush. I agree, it would be nausiating to say the least

If you dont have a serious coment, dont say anything at all. please.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
There was a preacher here that was telling his congregation to vote bush or not to bother comming back to church. My daughter came home from church sunday before last and said that some grown ups were talking about Kerry killing and eating Babies. I think it is time to examine the church's tax exempt status if they are going to become a tool of any political organization.
There. Perfect example. I believe this is happening. Its sad.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Proverbs 19:11
A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

If thier religious convictions are not that strong then maybe it is best for them to skip it. I myself am an athiest, so its not a consideration.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Proverbs 19:11
A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.

If thier religious convictions are not that strong then maybe it is best for them to skip it. I myself am an athiest, so its not a consideration.
I agree with the proverb. They feel like not going for a month or so until the praises die down. I cant say i blame tham. Its too bad it had to come to this.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I don't know what kind of extreme churches you people go to. My church stays completely out of the political world. "Kerry killing and eating babies?"

Wow... and I just thought he was Herman Munster

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor
I don't know what kind of extreme churches you people go to. My church stays completely out of the political world. "Kerry killing and eating babies?"

Kerry eating babies is a little extreme, and i dont think this is the fear.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   
No really, what church do you go to? I belong to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, a pretty laid back church that knows well enough to stay out of politics. Maybe you just need to find a church that better suits your needs and beliefs.

www.wels.net...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I don't go to any church, but the wife and I let the kids go, it's a southern Baptist Church. As extreme as it may sound it is more widespread than you realize. After I heard that, I gave some serious thoughts to not letting them go back. It really is that bad man, at least here in this area.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I have two words to say to those who see the mixing of religion and politics as pretty harmless in this modern world....

.....Northern Ireland.

(and by and large that all went on with the mainstream established religions around, rather than the newer more fundamentalist types....

.....although Ian Paisley and his brand of evangelical fundamentalism is, obviously a major part of what went on from the 1950's)

It most certainly is not harmless and nothing to worry about. When those kind of attitudes get a hold.....consider yourselves reminded of the wests' prime warning.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

I don't go to any church, but the wife and I let the kids go, it's a southern Baptist Church. As extreme as it may sound it is more widespread than you realize. After I heard that, I gave some serious thoughts to not letting them go back. It really is that bad man, at least here in this area.
This is too bad. If they can say that, they would say anything. Im not a regular church goer either, but my mother called me to say she wouldnt be going. And the reason being she doesnt want to get upset. She has a latin temper and is afraid to use it in church.
They go to some Christian Church in the Phoenix area. I cant say i blame her.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Anyone who truly worships god, does not do it in church. Those who truly worship god do it in their every day actions and words. Hypocrites worship in church. I would tell your relatives to stay away from church permanently.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Anyone who truly worships god, does not do it in church. Those who truly worship god do it in their every day actions and words. Hypocrites worship in church. I would tell your relatives to stay away from church permanently.
We discussed that this morning. I feel exactly like you. I worship from within my heart.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Church and government should not be combined in ways that alienates either citizens or worshipers. Isn't this exact concept of not combining religion with government what we were so against when fighting the Taliban? If someone cannot attend church without having Bush propoganda thrown at them or have to sit through a sermon filled with political "we're cool you suck" BS worked in, then why bother going. It becomes a political rally and not a church.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't pretend to be a lawyer but as far as I know if they do get caught, they loose their tax exempt status. If you could somehow concrete evidence that they were actively promoting a political agenda in a church I bet the preacher would change his tune when that tax bill came in. The seperation of Church and State is of the upmost importance, and brought us out of tyranny, I'd hate to see a regression to a very unpleasant page in human history. Religon has no business in taxation or mandate of policies in a multi-cultural nation, in fact it is very dangerous.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Goodness, what kind of Christen churches do you folks go to??? Killing babies? Now admittedly I go to a Roman Catholic Church, we don�t ask for anything more that that whatever leaders we have please make fair and good decisions. Nothing specific, just a desire to have moral leaders.

If you don�t want to go to your church because you�re a SORE LOSER then perhaps you need to rethink your whole take on religion. Perhaps your core values are so skewed from those around you that you don�t feel comfortable. Well, if that is the case then just don�t go. Find somewhere you feel more comfortable.

Problem is, if you are a Christen, you�re going to have a hard time finding a congregation that supports Kerry or the DNC. Perhaps is you support abortion, gay marriage, etc.. then you are not really a Christen since killing children is not something that Jesus supported (I�m not sure on the gay thing but I think Sodomy is frowned upon in the Bible).

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
We discussed that this morning. I feel exactly like you. I worship from within my heart.

It's good to know that some people feel this way. Once I thought I was the only one in my Catholic community who didn't believe that church-going was important in any way. It was quite disheartening.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Personally that is when thety NEED to go to church. IF one supports abortion and things Ungodly, then that is when they need church the most!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join