It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British muslims react to the EDL... in a very British way

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Can't find this on ATS, apologies if there is already a thread for it.

A mosque has been praised for serving tea and biscuits to English Defence League supporters after the far-right group arranged a demonstration there.

About six people turned up to protest at the mosque in Bull Lane, York, on Sunday and were invited inside to play football with worshippers.

More than 100 supporters of the mosque had gone there after learning of the planned EDL protest.

Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu said the mosque's response was "fantastic".

He said: "Tea, biscuits, and football are a great and typically Yorkshire combination when it comes to disarming hostile and extremist views."

'Proud moment'
Father Tim Jones, who went to the Bull Lane mosque, which is situated in his parish, said: "I've always known they were intelligent and compassionate people and I think this has demonstrated the extent to which they are people of courage - certainly physical courage and also a high degree of moral courage.

"I think the world can learn from what happened outside that ramshackle little mosque on Sunday."

Hull Road ward councillor Neil Barnes said it had been a "proud moment for York".

He said: "I don't think I'll ever forget the day that the York Mosque tackled anger and hatred with peace and warmth - and I won't forget the sight of a Muslim offering a protester tea and biscuits with absolute sincerity."

Fears over a demonstration grew after Yorkshire EDL Scarborough Division posted a message on its Facebook page calling for supporters to gather outside the mosque.

Imam Abid Salik said: "We did have a few people who did come to protest but when they came some of the members of the mosque went over and they engaged in a conversation.

"Some people went over with cups of tea and biscuits, they were talking for about 30 or 40 minutes and then they came inside, which was a really, really beautiful thing."

Source: BBC News

Having had an otherwise enjoyable trip to London spoiled yesterday by a bunch of EDL idiots, who apparently want to "defend" me from whatever perceived threat is on their mind this week, reading that article just reminded me of some of the things I love about my country.

We have had a muslim community in these islands for several hundred years, and have always embraced and respected other faiths. For the sake of a few idiots on either side, please don't stop now.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
The hardest part to finding a common ground is the first step......i can remember finding some Muslim taxi driver and after a hour or so of deep discussion we ended up at a point where i could see his points and he could see mine...the main thing i left him was that you should always challenge views.....never just accept someone elses view on a matter until you have spent the time to check it out first

Wish i'd of taken my GCSE in RE sometimes as i did like my teacher but she was never a well woman and died not long after i would of started the course and the replacement teacher was a brain dead moron who couldn't argue that 2+2=4 if the church said it was 7

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by roguedesigner

That's the way to do it....tea and biscuits. Two sides overcoming the lower expectations of each other and having a kickabout for fun. Let's hope they all remember the occasion and treat each other accordingly in the future.

A member, Ramcheck, posted this catch yesterday...

It's tempting to agree with the 'only in England' comment, but it can happen anywhere in the world. It's too easy to fall for the grand lie that extremists represent the majority. In reality, the extremists screw this world over while the rest of us are more than happy to play football and make tea.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Fake, fake, fake!

Where did the football come from? Who was making the cups of tea? What score did the football match finish at?

All this happy-clappy nonsense is just a media-driven plot to make muslims appear reasonable and fun-loving.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov
Fake, fake, fake!

Where did the football come from? Who was making the cups of tea? What score did the football match finish at?

All this happy-clappy nonsense is just a media-driven plot to make muslims appear reasonable and fun-loving.

How is this fake ? There are generally good people out there.
Where did the football come from? Inside the mosque
Where did the tea come from? The people in the mosque made it
Score of the game? Does it matter just having a kick around there was no score

Can a demonstration not end in peace where for once the two sides had spoke about their beliefs and concerns and had a happy understanding

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker

Fake, fake, fake!

How is this fake ? There are generally good people out there.
Where did the football come from? Inside the mosque
Where did the tea come from? The people in the mosque made it
Score of the game? Does it matter just having a kick around there was no score

Can a demonstration not end in peace where for once the two sides had spoke about their beliefs and concerns and had a happy understanding

Sorry, I forgot to add a "/everything is a false flag stance" disclaimer, for the sarcasm-detection impaired.
edit on 28-5-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

Am really sorry mate no my sarcasm detector didn't ping off
now I feel like a fool lol. Hmmm I wonder what biscuits they gave .. I'd only start talking if it was custard creams

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePeaceMaker

Am really sorry mate no my sarcasm detector didn't ping off
now I feel like a fool lol. Hmmm I wonder what biscuits they gave .. I'd only start talking if it was custard creams

No probs, fella. My guess is plain old Hobnobs. They are irresistible when combined with a nice cup of tea.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

My wife is English (and currently in Kirkby in Ashfield visiting) and I know what custard cremes are because I had them last time I was there...

She's asleep now otherwise I'd ask her what a Hobnob is...

Now I won't be able to sleep tonight... can one of you fine people tell me what they are?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terminal1

My wife is English (and currently in Kirkby in Ashfield visiting) and I know what custard cremes are because I had them last time I was there...

She's asleep now otherwise I'd ask her what a Hobnob is...

Now I won't be able to sleep tonight... can one of you fine people tell me what they are?

Go on, wake her up. I'm sure she'll be overjoyed to explain the crunchy, yet moist deliciousness that occurs when a Hobnob is dunked in a cup of tea, then placed in an anticiipatory mouth.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Ill just wait till in the morning... Love her to death but one thing I have learned in my time with her (14 years and counting) is to let her sleep...

Knowing her she's tell me I'd have to wait till she returns...

Not gonna give in to google either lol

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by roguedesigner

We have had a muslim community in these islands for several hundred years, and have always embraced and respected other faiths. For the sake of a few idiots on either side, please don't stop now.

"Several hundred years" I would love to believe you a link would make it easier
edit on 28-5-2013 by dam00 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Brilliant demonstration of both intelligent thinking and clever marketing.....

Looks like we can get on if we really try..:-)

PDUK

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Fake, fake, fake!

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

On topic OP
This is the face of Islam I like and know
My 8 year old son was playing football with a bunch of muslim kids around his age on Wednesday after school in the park
Such a shame to come home and hear about Drummer Lee Rigby

The Mosque should have challenged the EDL to a game of Cricket, a far more civilised game, and the Pakastani Kids I know are awsome at it

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dam00

Fake, fake, fake!

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I explained my post to Terminal1 upthread, but because I'm that kind of guy, I'll repeat it for you. I was mocking the current tendency for posters to suggest that any news story is a staged event, meant solely to fool the public into believing something that isn't true. Has that helped clear up your confusion?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Fake, fake, fake!

I explained my post to Terminal1 upthread, but because I'm that kind of guy, I'll repeat it for you. I was mocking the current tendency for posters to suggest that any news story is a staged event, meant solely to fool the public into believing something that isn't true. Has that helped clear up your confusion?

No, but thanks anyway

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by roguedesigner

"Several hundred years" I would love to believe you a link would make it easier

Ok, here you go - Wikipedia for this one but there are many sources out there.

Islam in England

Earliest contact was with King Offa (757 - 796 AD) who even had coins minted with Islamic inscriptions (more to do with trade than anything else).

Certainly though, more Muslims began arriving in the UK from the Elizabethan Age onwards - and this is recorded in documentation from at least 1585 onwards.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by roguedesigner

Thanks for sharing this. Another reason to love my city. We may favour the odd drunken punch up here but really we abhor idiots and those that want to create hate.

Plus, really, how can anyone say no to a cup of tea. I would also note that the EDL lot were from Scarborough. York and Scarborough have a very love hate relationship (amongst the idiot element) so i wouldn't be surprised if this EDL demo was more about causing trouble in York than actually protesting about the Muslims.

It just demonstrates that people get on, given the opportunity.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:20 AM
link   
This is absolutely brilliant!

Face those who come to attack you and what you hold dear...with tea and biscuits and football (fitba!).

Truly inspiring. It conjures up a memory my Great-Uncle said about Christmas in WW2. Funnily enough it happened in the Great War too.

Christmas day the Germans and the Brits stopped fighting each other. They crossed over to each side, shared food, played music, cards and yes, they played football together.Language not much of a barrier. At the end they shook hands and when back to their places.

My Great-Uncle said that it was hard the next day, when both sides opened fire, and not knowing if your bullet was going to get the man you shared a cup of tea or a cigarette with.

Just wanted to share that.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Just goes to show how folks fear what they do not know.
Once we talk to those we percieve as some kind of enemy,we often realise that we have a lot in common...

I hope some of those folks develop friendships,and that spreads further throughout our communities.

I am of the belief that our government(or the last one)were trying to divide the people by attempting to create a fear of ethnic peoples,especially Muslims.

As the old saying goes-United we stand,Divided we fall.

edit on 29/5/2013 by Silcone Synapse because: sp

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join