It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret to happiness is _______ for a dying man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Caladonea's worthy thread and an offhand response got me thinking...

I have a family member who's not expected to live past this year. Would you please share your opinion of what the happiness secret is, for the little time he has left?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think the secret to happiness is service to others. Even simply dearly caring for your significant other, and making sure they have the best possible life and when they smile I'm happy because they are happy.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Loving
Love yourself, love those import to you.
Forgiveness
Don't hold pain and anger for those that wronged you.

link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure

Would you please share your opinion of what the happiness secret is, for the little time he has left?

I've always thought 'true happiness' was a myth.

If such a secret does exist, I guarantee that it is something which I am not privy to.

edit on 5/28/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

link   
I would say "Acceptance" is the key to happiness.

Accept the things you can't change, accept what you can change, accept others for who they are, regardless of difference and accept yourself for what you are, faults and all.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Die with a smile on your face, whether from doing good, bad or just the meds you're on.

Witnessing that from a third party perspective keeps the smile alive.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The secret to happiness isn't much of a secret: It's living in servitude and obedience to Christ. Nowhere else where you find true happiness, everywhere else you will just find disappointments. In Christ, there's no disappointment.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Following your joy/excitement to the best of your ability until you can take it no further, and then when you come to another set of crossroads, choosing from the available choices: picking the one with the most excitement and then taking it until you can take it no further and when you reach the next set of crossroads, do it again, and again.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Life isnt supposed to make you happy. Its supposed to make you dead. Look for joy once you start to really rot, you have more chance of finding it that way.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by graceunderpressure

You might have more success setting a goal for contentment or peacefulness, or to be free of pain.

Happiness is a far-fetched goal for even the healthy.

Not trying to put a damper on things... just my beliefs.
My best to your family member.
edit on 5/28/2013 by BellaSabre because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I starred ACCEPTANCE.....its the main ingrediaent to lifes inevitable conclusion.....
Theres no other way out so.......
You may want to show your loved one the life after death you toob shows and the reincarnation ones too....

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I am so sorry to hear about your family member. I believe we are far more than just a physical body and that once we pass on, we go on to a different and better place.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Heres another vote for acceptance...

Death is something we all owe eventually... but one must realise that death is not the end to be at peace with it

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
I would say "Acceptance" is the key to happiness.

Accept the things you can't change, accept what you can change, accept others for who they are, regardless of difference and accept yourself for what you are, faults and all.

Great answer!
I can't add anything, you already got it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graceunderpressure, I am sorry to hear about your family member.
edit on 28-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Thank you, everyone who replied so far. This is admittedly sort of a "downer" thread -- sorry. When I see my brother-in-law wasting his last days on Earth with anger and self-absorption, I know that's not the answer. I doubt he would listen if I tried to tell him. But, it strikes me that any one of us can suddenly face numbered days, and I wonder how we might spend them if we knew there were only a handful left. Your posts are very enlightening.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
In my opinion it is not acceptance as the key of happiness, that is just the process. the secret is letting go of thoughts which makes you feel lack because without those thoughts we feel whole and when another doesn't and they suffer or want to control others we begin to feel compassion for them.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Would you please share your opinion of what the happiness secret is, for the little time he has left?
Honoring Life in Truth.

And then he will not die ,he will live forever.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
If you can always have gratitude for your blessings, you will never be truly unhappy.

Sometimes it is hard to find that sense of gratitude, which is why happiness is a choice. You can choose to find reasons to be grateful, or you can await certain demise while ignoring your blessings.

Infuriating as it is, that's the choice we all have. Simple and complicated, just as life.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

"The secret of happiness is t"o enjoy each day. (at least, that's how I would read it).

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by graceunderpressure
Thank you, everyone who replied so far. This is admittedly sort of a "downer" thread -- sorry. When I see my brother-in-law wasting his last days on Earth with anger and self-absorption, I know that's not the answer. I doubt he would listen if I tried to tell him. But, it strikes me that any one of us can suddenly face numbered days, and I wonder how we might spend them if we knew there were only a handful left. Your posts are very enlightening.

I would think that anger and self absorbtion at this time is normal for him. He may be frightened, he may regret leaving this place and the people he cherishes. I'm sure a thousand things are going through his mind right now and he is overwhelmed. Just be there with more patience, compassion and love than you have ever have. Let him know that everyone will die eventually. For every one of us, our time is numbered. Try to give him hope that there is a better place and life where he will be going.

Maybe have him read some near death experiences where people are so happy they never want to return here. Give him that hope and inspiration.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join