It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google said to deploy Wi-Fi blimps in Africa and Asia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Google is reportedly working on creating wireless networks for more remote parts of the world, such as countries in sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia, with sky-bound balloons and blimps, according to Wired.
Dubbed "high-altitude platforms," these mechanisms will reportedly be able to connect roughly a billion more people to the Internet worldwide, according to Wired. The blimps signals are said to be able to reach people in areas that are hundreds of square miles.
Last week, the Wall Street Journal reported that Google is going into the cellular business in Africa and Asia in an effort to connect more people to the Internet. Citing anonymous sources, the news source reported that the networks would be available outside of big cities, where service is spotty or not available.

Also, Google isn't the only company that has been working on creating communication networks via blimps and balloons. Lockheed Martin and GlobeTel Communications have also been working on such inventions. And, the company Space Data already operates a network of high-altitude, balloon-borne transceivers known as SkySite Platforms, which serve as wireless towers.

Source: news.cnet.com...

Skynet is being born right before our very eyes
!!!

In all seriousness, this is a very interesting development. Being able to access the Internet from these remote places would give the people there a myriad of information they may not have received otherwise.

It will open up a vast market of untapped customers that will need and want services.

The inquisitive of them will want to have their own piece of the Internet pie and start developing, web, phone, and social applications.

Globalization is real and is right around the corner. With efforts like this being done to give, what was once thought, inaccessible places the Internet. Change will soon follow, that is if it isn't censored heavily by local governments.
edit on 28-5-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Great......even more Spam email saying I won 550 M dollars or my long lost Uncle in Mozambique, left me $600,000.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Probably so, but I think some positive will stem from it too. A relatively untapped market means more potential for great things.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Google is everywhere, it should not surprise you though, they are a corporate member of the council on foreign relations so they would be at the forefront to bring the world together in every way as one world, hats off to Google bring the world closer as one improving foreign relations and internet access !

edit on 28-5-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

blimps?

wasn't there a ted-talk around last year?
ex-cia guy pointed out that by using decommissioned satellites
you could give everyone T-1 speeds on their phones?

oh wait, less [or no] money in it...

forget bank scams
can't give those folks too good or too fast internet access
or they'll use it as another weapon to keep their country and continent safe from looters.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Skynet is being born right before our very eyes !!!

We have had communication satellites and GPS for many years now. This isnt any different except it is lower in the sky.

The concept of "Skynet" in the terminator movies was a military artificial intelligence computer system and not a telephone network in the sky.

This is just another piece of the telephone network

edit on 28-5-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by phinubian

Foreign relations. We'll see how that avenue goes with Google. China is also interested in Africa, I wouldn't be surprised if they're laying down cables for land based Internet. This will be a good test to see how things play out in that respect.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Probably. Just like SMS technology was discovered by mistake and doesn't cost the carries a dime, yet they charge obscene amounts to do so, well at least in the U.S.

It's always about the money.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
We have had communication satellites and GPS for many years now. This isnt any different except it is lower in the sky.

This I know. I was being facetious.

We're a long way off from AI. Well at least from what I know. Who knows what's been cooked up in secret?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

This I know. I was being facetious.

We're a long way off from AI. Well at least from what I know. Who knows what's been cooked up in secret?

lol , no problems. I saw the phrase an my inner scifi nerd kicked in and i posted before i read the entire post

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Get the network in place, then they'll just need the means to connect to it. A lot of the remote places barely have electricity if that, let alone cell phones.

But it's a start.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Surveillance Drones..err Blimps under disguise?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The people of Africa have a right to see and post pictures and videos of cats just like the rest of us! But seriously it'll really only be useful to scientists, tourists, and warlords.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Yep they have launched a trial in New Zealand.

heres a link from sky news today -

Google Balloon - Top Secret Project Launched

The internet giant's secretive X research lab is behind the move, called Project Loon in recognition of how strange the idea sounds. Scientists launched a trial on Saturday in New Zealand's South Island, letting off a string of jellyfish-shaped balloons in the sky about Lake Tekapo. The aim is for the flimsy helium-filled inflatables, which are made from plastic film, to beam the internet back down to earth as they sail past on the wind.

top topics

join