It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
'I didn't think of Iraqis as humans,' says U.S. soldier who raped 14-year-old girl before killing her and her family.

An Iraq War veteran serving five life terms for raping and killing a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her parents and sister says he didn't think of Iraqi civilians as humans after being exposed to extreme war zone violence.

While this is from 2010, its interesting, even in today's context.

Steven Green claims that had he not been in a war zone, he never would have committed these crimes.

Do you believe him? There were plenty of others who served alongside him and did not act the same way.

How much is the government to blame? Racism and dehumanization has a long history in US warfare.

Vietnamese were "Gooks". Koreans were "Zipperheads" or "Slopes". Japanese were "Japs" or Nips". Russians are "Commies", etc.

But with the so called "global war on terror", its my opinion that we are seeing the media drill these attitudes into the consciousness of the average person.

And its not taking much to set people off. Take for example the recent hacking death of a soldier in the UK. This wasnt an invasion by a government. It wasnt an aerial bombing campaign lasting for months followed by an armed invasion force.

Staged or not, it was a single incident.

One of the killers implied that their act was a consequence of Western military action...

And the circle of violence continues.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

The Military has a Very Uncanny Knack for Programming the Troops.

Unfortunately you can NEVER Expect that the Military will take any responsibility.

Though I am Not condoning the Murdering Rapists actions. When Found guilty, they probably just need to take him and drop him off in the middle of the town of that family and leave him for dead.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I heard someone who served over there say the exact same thing. I was kind of taken aback at first, but then I don't know what it's like to be in a warzone afraid for your life, and the people you've come to help could a possible enemy looking to take your life.

Maybe it is a way for some soldiers to cope with that they're doing over there. Maybe some soldiers who served can chime in on it.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this one. I had a very different idea for a reply until I took the time read the entire article, start to finish.

I actually feel for this guy. Before people cook me into Rabbit Stew, it comes with the very clear point that he isn't using anything as an excuse and seems to accept the fact with peace, that he will die in prison as he should. It wasn't until the end of the article and the little detail of one guy left at the checkpoint that it hit me, which case this was for it happening at the time. Yeah, this was flat out evil in nature for what was done.

In another sense, the guys were apparently long term assigned to this lonely little checkpoint and screw all for help being offered...even when specifically requested, for mental health as at least this one could feel he was losing it himself. That's pretty far out there when you know, your own self, you're falling off the cliff of sanity.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Fortunately I do Not like Rabbit Stew. .. But I do Like Rabbit Jerky. .. ..

Anyways,. ..

Is there not a line that prevents a Moral Sort to Not Rape and Murder?

Regardless of being human or Not.

You might as well stick him on a farms and let him have at the animals. .. Right ?

edit on 28-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Same brainwashing tactics fundamentalist Islamists use.

Two side of the same coin sharing the same agenda of division, distrust anger & violence.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
A crime is a crime. There is no MITIGATING factors. Or any excuses. Do the crime, then do the time. This is the Rule of Law.

He is one of the few animals that preys upon human compassion and twist the big picture for personal self glory and pathetic excuses as justifications of his henious act, which those whom have agendas drool to use beasts like him to protray a warped version of reality.

Just because of the few low lives, we accuse all of such? Just because a few rob old folks, we accuse ALL americans as gangsters and crooks?

Just because one piece of dog excrement decides to abandon the rule of law, and force himself horrifically upon another fellow human, all american soldiers whom had honorably served the nation with pride and honor, not only to USA, but to the oppressed in Iraq, ALL US soldiers are dogs?

May the american-haters try another ploy. It aint gonna work, each and everytime, and no points even for trying.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am a vet of the Iraq war, I spent a year there. I was in the Infantry, and did see combat, I have my Combat Infantry Badge.
Anyway the point is while I was there I was of the mind that we were there to "win the hearts and minds of the people."
I saw the Iraqis as people, I spent time with them, talked to them as best I could ( I don't speak much arabic) And they are generally good people. Some of them were thankful we were there, and personally thanked me. They were welcoming and warm people. Honestly I would rather spend time with them, then I would with many of my own countrymen.

I can see how he didn't think of them as human. You are trained not to think of them that way, dehumanize them, and they are a lot easier to kill. Why do they use human shaped targets? It's all conditioning.

The trick is, at least so far as I found it, is to do your own thinking.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Oh course there is a line...and I'd have no feelings whatever about him if he even played at saying there were excuses for the evil he committed. He isn't though and it's what I meant about reading the whole article, start to finish. The thing that concerns me the most is that there are plenty of people still dying in these wars, every day. Along side them, to whatever small %, are more guys just like him. I'd like to see our people home and he's a decent example of the best argument for what's wrong with perpetual war.

I seem to recall Iraqi's very brutally killing a couple U.S. troops after this had happened and citing it as their reasoning for revenge. I can't find the details now but someone who was there probably recalls order of events much better anyway.

It reminds me of the movie "Casualties Of War" about a similar (for types of wars anyway) incident with a L.R.R.P. Patrol in Vietnam. That one was based entirely on a real event with ..I think..One of them still serving time in Kansas over it. I didn't keep up with what happened to the animals from that one.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I Agree Whole Heartedly. It is way past time to get our boys home and to stop traipsing around the countryside looking for other conflicts to get involved with.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I believe that this is the incident you are referring to?

Videotape alleges three US soldiers killed in revenge for rape-murder

As for this, militaries for centuries have been conditioning troops to see the enemy, whomever that may be, as less than human or animals. Most don't succumb to it to the degree this person had, like the poster above me who served in Iraq, while others buy into it wholeheartedly.

An example from Canada...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum

I Agree Whole Heartedly. It is way past time to get our boys home and to stop traipsing around the countryside looking for other conflicts to get involved with.

I think we both know that's not gonna happen. America is in the business of war! Business is good! Do you think all the war contractors like Halliburton don't have pull in DC.

The war on Terrorism is a war without end, because the profit motive is the operating principal; Not protecting the homeland, bringing democracy or anyother noble excuse. imo it was planned this way from the beginning.
edit on 28-5-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

"I didn't think of Iraqis as humans"
i'm sure his belief is reciprocated by iraquis
and by his victim...

then what exactly did he think he was raping?
or was he willfully engaging in bestiality?

i imagine there's still a "few people" "thinking" the same regarding negroes
as this particular form of doublethink was quite common on the plantation
and on the plains regarding the natives.

oh! the twisted mental contorsions the "sane" go through
as excuses for their own sub-human behavior...

but don't point this put to them
as they usually get violent, when their own sub-humanity is exposed...

his military training merely reinforced what is actually "normal" and common thinking among westerners in general
and americans in particular.
just look at the trayvon and the "beheaded" soldier threads
full of "sanity","humanity", and "rationalality" they are...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
No matter how much training of killing the enemy or be killed, a soldier goes through boot camp and operational units, when there is war or battle - there EXISTS THE RULE OF ENGAGEMENT, of what you can do and what you CANNOT do, explained in full even to the dullest trooper mind. At least for the american military, though I am not sure about others.

Anytime, any american soldier who is incapable of earning of his taxpayers' funded pay to do the right thing, all he needs is just walk up to the commander to seek for pyschiatric help.

And any american soldier who flout such laws, faces military justice - gets tornadoed to leavenworth prison breaking rocks if found guilty.

This post is meant for the american haters, the armchair soldiers, the agenda driven rights groups or those who think US military is a lawless and rogue entity.
edit on 28-5-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Yes, that is the incident I believe I recall reading about in USA Today, back when it was happening. I'd imagine this man is well aware of it too, and it's among the things he'll be living with in his cell. As he should be.

I completely understand the conditioning aspects of Military service and need for it. The nature of the job itself isn't something we ever want to live in a society where conditioning isn't needed to do. I think they've also come a long way, as I've heard it, for having something there on the way out. Not like my Father told me about in literally being in fighting one day and on a quiet trip back to a U.S. Airport the next.

Having said all that, I think people like this guy are a tiny % but still expected and predictable % of people out of every war. If the cause is necessary and required, perhaps an acceptable reality. When the wars are spinning wheels for no gain? Well....I think the guy is probably right in saying that without war, he wouldn't have been what he became. All the more reason to enter war very very carefully.....while I see the US entering wars and committing to new ones casually.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
this would seem to be a fairly normal view for a soldier. my grandfather told me about this from ww2. he said the only way he was able to shoot the enemy (who was trying to kill him as well), was he had to not think about them being human and just see them as another animal to be hunted. it is a way to bypass the guilt associated with killing another human.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wars are often the very, very last resort when all talks become meaningless or when dialogues are made impossible by the belligerant, so as to achieve and protect peace and citizens. That's the irony of peace - in order to have peace, you must be prepared for war to defend it.

And even in wars in this modern enlightened era, no soldier, at least american ones, are allowed to get away from the rules of engagement, strictly oversighted by commanders on the ground, whistleblowers and HQ levels.

This is to prevent the descent into darkness that all humans will naturally fall in when they see blood and gore on a daily basis. Most soldiers are rotated out in war zones within a year, or earlier if they seriously injured themselves.

No one wants war, but unfortunately, we do not live in disneyland where everyone carries an icecream and are all smiles 24/7. Everyone have to be prepared for dangers to the nation, should it eventually comes, with all means possible when the inevitable becomes impossible to evade, but the rule of law operates even in conflict zones, which no one can be above it, trooper to general. No excuses or blame game to be pushed. We alone are responsible for our own actions.

edit on 28-5-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Sad but True. It just breaks the heart thinking about all of those that will die for the sake of "Business".

Maybe one day we can all Grow a Pair and take OUR Country back.

Or, .. . is that in the "AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN" pile too?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I would feel for him more IF he was drafted or otherwise in the military against his will. HE willfully joined the armed forces, knowing full well what was in his future. HE made the choice to subject himself to that environment.

It's just like how saying "Oh, I was drunk" isn't an excuse if you rape and kill someone. YOU made the choice to begin drinking knowing that alcohol might change your mindset and action. Just like HE made the choice to join the military, he is fully responsible for his own actions, he can't blame this one on the military, government, or anyone other than himself.

Maybe I'm becoming more mature, or just jaded, but in the past when hearing about awful crimes against people I would get angry, and think about all the things I wish would happen to the perpetrator. Now I think more about the victims and their families. I don't care about this guy, he deserves whatever he gets, I'll devote my energy into compassion for the victims, not rage at the perpetrator. Although I completely understand those who feel otherwise.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Name calling is an attempt to dehumanize the adversary. Ever wonder why bullies don't feel guilty? Pay attention when people call other people names. There is a lot of valuable information there.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join