It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese hackers access major weapons systems

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

WASHINGTON/CANBERRA (Reuters) - Chinese hackers have gained access to designs of more than two dozen major U.S. weapons systems, a U.S. report said on Monday, as Australian media said Chinese hackers had stolen the blueprints for Australia's new spy headquarters.
Citing a report prepared for the Defense Department by the Defense Science Board, the Washington Post said the compromised U.S. designs included those for combat aircraft and ships, as well as missile defenses vital for Europe, Asia and the Gulf.
Among the weapons listed in the report were the advanced Patriot missile system, the Navy's Aegis ballistic missile defense systems, the F/A-18 fighter jet, the V-22 Osprey, the Black Hawk helicopter and the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

yahoo news

Ok... so... pretty nice from our Chinese friends. What's next? And what could be the consequences of this?

Well at least we'll see the 35 for a reasonable price...

What do you guys think?
edit on Tue May 28 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX tags IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I just picture an office building housing 20,000 Chinese hackers who work 18 hours a day with limited coffee breaks and pictures of Cecilia Cheung as their desktop background. I'm just wondering how they do it since they don't have Redbull there... (Or if they do I suspect limited caffeine content...)

www.wantchinatimes.com...
edit on 28-5-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Now why would anyone have these systems available to be hacked? I mean, I would have no way that anyone could access this information from the net if I was in charge of it. This doesn't even make any sense. Same with power plants around the country, why is it even possible that anyone can hack into them, they should not be linked at all through any sort of net. We are creating a dangerous situation here, leaving everyone open to cyber attack when we do not need to be. Stupidity at high levels I guess or possibly a deliberate intent.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

you're telling me, it cannot be that we the users of the internet, the posters of ATS are " gasp " more intelligent than those of the world's governments, that we can 1st off say, " WAIT!, WHY WAS IMPORTANT / SECRET FILES EVEN ON A NETWORK IN THE 1ST PLACE? , LET ALONE ONE THAT WAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET?
"

Maybe if we were talking about a kid's hacking grp broke into schools hhd and stole the plans to build a new school, but sadly, those are prolly kept more secure than that of a Secret spy headquarters
( what is this anyways 1970s? spynspy called they want their plot back! )

I'm going to have to go with humanity is increasing it's dumb genes rather promptly and heading towards idiocracy soonTM.

edit on 28-5-2013 by Tranceopticalinclined because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
This is a state sponsored act of (cyber) war.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I have a hard time believing news like this. You don't keep billions of dollars worth of Military tech on unsecured networks, let alone one that is connect to the internet. I bet they used fake designs to bait hackers, use it to push an agenda forward.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

You shouldn't put government and rationality in the same sentence

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yeah it does seem rather shady.

The coca cola recipe is a better kept secret.... well actually that makes sense since it probably accounts for more profits than is gained by stealing a country's oil!

Perhaps the USA mil can get some tips on keeping mouths and servers shut?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Chinese hackers break into US intelligence computers: they get technical details of more than two dozen major weapons systems.

Chinese hackers break into Australian intelligence computers: they get a floor plan for an unfinished building.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
All that brillaint engineering, stolen in a days work. What is wrong with our Officials in charge. WHY would anyone put classified documents on the Web. WE need some heads to roll for this. There should be a message sent very clearly to anyone leaking or putting important classified information or state secrets on the web, punishable by death. Its treason

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
These stories are usually most always over-blown and usually the compromise is minimal...trust me we didnt loose anything that probably couldnt be bought from someone anywhere else...
It makes for good scare news...and the Chinese copy everything else of ours anyway...just not always as good.
Im not worried...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I don't think these systems are on the net so to speak.
I think there's people inside, who setup holes in the corporate firewalls, giving access to outside entities who know where to be at what time.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The Exchange Stability Fund strikes again.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romeo1
These stories are usually most always over-blown and usually the compromise is minimal...trust me we didnt loose anything that probably couldnt be bought from someone anywhere else...

Oh really? Where can you buy detailed plans for more than two dozen major US weapons systems, including Patriot, Aegis, the F/A-18, the V-22 Osprey, the Black Hawk, and the F-35?

I'm curious to know.
edit on 28/5/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo007
I have a hard time believing news like this. You don't keep billions of dollars worth of Military tech on unsecured networks, let alone one that is connect to the internet. I bet they used fake designs to bait hackers, use it to push an agenda forward.

I believe this too. If I were in charge, I'd like to think there are plenty of fake designs in DMZ servers.

I also recall reading a post a year or 2 ago about how several terabytes of data for the F35 was stolen and someone familiar with the cad designs said those files were huge and said the data was the equivalent of a small component in a small sub-system.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

And your sure this is exactly what they got...because all reporting is absolutely accurate...I would be more concerned about the stealth tech that got turned over to the Chinese when we lost the new blackhawk killing Osama...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sankari

Through the computers at Boeing, and Lockheed, and whoever makes the systems. They have to email changes to each other, and have access to the designs on their computers, so they can be accessed through that way.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by Sankari

Through the computers at Boeing, and Lockheed, and whoever makes the systems. They have to email changes to each other, and have access to the designs on their computers, so they can be accessed through that way.

I would be extremely surprised if they didnt use non stop subscriber lines direct to each others HQ for speed and security.

random on the web emails would be pretty stupid, but having said that.....

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Now why would anyone have these systems available to be hacked? I mean, I would have no way that anyone could access this information from the net if I was in charge of it. This doesn't even make any sense. Same with power plants around the country, why is it even possible that anyone can hack into them, they should not be linked at all through any sort of net. We are creating a dangerous situation here, leaving everyone open to cyber attack when we do not need to be. Stupidity at high levels I guess or possibly a deliberate intent.

Monitoring systems need to continuously check the systems so that they can call the on call guy. I work at a water plant and that is what we have. I would suppose that any other public utility would have the same. That being said, I don't know why they would put sensitive information on a net connected puter.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

The biggest problem isn't Lockheed itself, but the fact that they use subcontractors in just about every state. Sometimes information has to be shared, and their systems aren't as secure as Lockheed systems are, but even Lockheed systems are vulnerable to an extent.

(CNSNews.com) – Intruders from China hacked into computers and stole the blueprints for America’s new joint strike fighter planes, the F-35 and F-22, according to the chairman of the House Homeland Security Subcommittee on Oversight, Investigations and Management.

cnsnews.com...

Thousands of confidential files on the U.S. military's most technologically advanced fighter aircraft have been compromised by unknown computer hackers over the past two years, according to senior defense officials.

The Internet intruders were able to gain access to data related to the design and electronics systems of the Joint Strike Fighter through computers of Pentagon contractors in charge of designing and building the aircraft, according to the officials, who did not want to be identified because of the sensitivity of the issue.

In addition to files relating to the aircraft, hackers gained entry into the Air Force's air traffic control systems, according to the officials. Once they got in, the Internet hackers were able to see such information as the locations of U.S. military aircraft in flight.

www.cnn.com...

In fact that F-35 ALIS system had to be split into two separate systems, because the unclassified system is vulnerable, and would allow access to the classified system.

When the fix is installed, the ALIS should work as originally envisioned. Testing is ongoing to make sure the link to Eglin AFB, Florida--which is the ALIS hub for US F-35s-is secure, Killea says. "That authority to connect piece is currently in the works," he says. "We look forward to, ultimately, that system being back together as one unit the way it was designed."

www.flightglobal.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join