It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposal to lock copyright infringing computers.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Like I said .. .. .

"You can put this in your "AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN" Pile and flush it."

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Wine works as well as it can while not using any proprietary code from microsoft. And as such, it will never be 100% compatible. There are just some things they can't do.

The best you can expect is a virtual machine running your M$ os segregated from the internet, if you want to run software that may trigger a query to check for genuine authenticity.

Or Unplug your blue cable. It can't go off to check the net to see if you're naughty.

But linux itself, has a little ways to go. I've only got 1 reason to stay in windows at the moment, and that's my damn tv. I don't have one. I have to use a usb stick and the last time I tried ubuntu, the ati driver support was lacking terribly and I got major tearing in hdtv with any movement. Unacceptable, when stupid M$ WMC does it without fault.
and not only do I hate having to stick with it for that, there are a million reasons why WMC sucks. But it's sadly the best of the lot.

My crypto mining rig that I'm going to build will, however, be linux.

But even discussing this, reveals yet another flaw in this plan. Will it simply affect the poor microsoft user? Certainly there is no authority to enforce such regulations on any free os.

ahh it's just never gunna happen. it's a scare tactic, that some will fall for, much like those who forked over $200 for the fbi virus.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadellacZumbrum
reply to post by winofiend

Like I said .. .. .

"You can put this in your "AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN" Pile and flush it."

Wait though, someone will come on ATS with the story and have FUD all over their fingers..

Just you wait!!! oO

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Get the PC, clean the drive, install LInux. Problem gone.

This is a non issue unless you are Windows user (sad......)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Of course, too much freedom led to people being able to share music and stuff they had purchased, which led to laws that say you don't actually own what you buy and paid sales tax on, which led to OS's like Windows 7 where you have roughly a third (which was also purchased) that you are denied access to.

Could you be more specific about that? I never saw anything I couldn't access on my computer's disk.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Problem is there will always be some enterprising person who will find an easy way to get around this, lol. You see it in the gaming community all the time.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What they fail to realize is that if this were to be implemented, it would only encourage people to pirate even more, not less.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Yea, it may happen but no "pirates" will be worried, it's just another fun task to try and figure out.
If there is a program/script built into the computer then there will be a way to hack it/remove it/get around it from the computer. Nothing on a pc is invulnerable to hacking hence the millions of cracked OS's and programs available on the web right now
edit on 28/5/2013 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
OH no they just locked me out of my virtual machine if they beat that then dual boot if they beat that then I will hack the firmware or simply remove the hardware and software that allows the lockout. Then I will send copyrighted infringed material to every agency I can think of to lock them out of their own computers
lol my resume is attached to this email for the position hahah HR checks the file for viruses and nothing comes up its saved to file then bang locked out of their own computer ahahahah really lol if they have a file server with the firmware opps nobody gets to see their files muahahaha

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Would never work; you'd just see cracked OS's pop up with the software disabled, leading to more piracy, and more resentment of the companies responsible.

Honestly, digital piracy is not stealing, it is copying. If companies don't like this, they should stop releasing things digitally.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hahahaha!! They're gonna try and use a lock to stop a pirate?

Just don't waste my tax dollars on it, K

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I own a car, If I leave it with the door open and it gets stolen, the insurance dont pay out and cops say I deserve it for not locking it and I have to suffer the loss.

But if I thought like the media industry, I could leave my door open all the time and have the keys to everyone;s garage to check if anyone had stolen my car when i left the door open.

Their movies are # where is my protection when they advertise a movie showing it to be exciting and it turned out poor and I feel robbed, the fckers won't accept the disk back and give a refund.

Forget these robbers and protect the consumer.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

I know what you're saying, but I've never liked the car stealing analogy, I don't know why they use it in those ads.

It would be more like you put their car through a giant photocopier then returned the original, and they wouldn't even know it was missing.

If they never lost their car to begin with, how could it have been stolen?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Exactly, digital piracy is not theft, but it does hurt their sales. Of course, what can be done when they release something so easily exploitable? We see more and more resources being pooled to create DRM's that are more of a pain in the ass for consumers. It's a shame they don't put those resources into putting out a product that is worth spending money on.

Seriously, if something is high quality, most people will spend money on it. If it's a piece of crap, why support it? Vote with your dollar.
edit on 28-5-2013 by DestroyDestroyDestroy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CyberneticProphet

This might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

law enforcement with the passwords?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Some one will hack the lock program and add it to a virus and spread it across the internet.
Then you have 5 people copyright infringing for every 100 caught by the virus.
And the cops will want nothing to do with it .

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Yea right. Would never happen-at least not on a windows computer as people would make viruses to spoof that software and bye bye computers. People are stupid.

You could put a million things in place like that "just in case".

Here you go gov: wanna help the world and our economy? Stop taking things away from us!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Wow that's a failure and possible disaster waiting to happen. Let's hope they don't try to sneak into a bill that politicians don't read anyway.

Ya really, as others have mentioned, local cop forces would have to have invest a lot of time and money, etc. to even deal with these lock outs, that are guilty before proven guilty.

Can't pass CISPA yet(because it's not fully gone away), try another...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

Just remove the software.

The whole idea is a joke and un-enforcable.

People would stop using the internet if they thought they have "big bother" looking at their every net move.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ispyed
reply to post by marhaba

Just remove the software.

The whole idea is a joke and un-enforcable.

People would stop using the internet if they thought they have "big bother" looking at their every net move.

Indeed it is a joke. However, there's a fair share of those out there that would love that monitoring. Such as the cameras installed and web cams to the computers/laptops, game consoles to watch your every move, to make sure you are being legal at all times. No cam logged in, no net. I mean heck, they "haven't done anything wrong"!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join