It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question on Spirituality and Fear

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Okay. So I moved to Idaho recently, which is a heavily conservative and Christian state. Here is the problem - since I moved here, I have experienced a lot of fear and peer pressure to do things like lust for power and materialism and treat women like objects.

I don't like power and wealth and materialism and treating women like objects.

So if this is some kind of sick and twisted spiritual test, and the only reason that I do those things is because of fear, not because I want to, does that even count as being tempted?

And for they hypothetical devil (aka the current Christian God in some cases) to get his power through fear, not through persuasion, doesn't that make him not so powerful after all? Because he isn't tempting anyone! He is coercing them. It sounds like a void of contract.
edit on 28-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

the oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear,
-H.P Lovecraft-

but do what thou wilt, love under will...
-Crowley-

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I felt better by writing that out. I was just thinking of a 40 days and nights in the desert scenario where I'm being tempted and it isn't the temptations that get me, but the fear of not conforming.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

"A question on spirituality and fear.

Okay. So I moved to Idaho recently, which is a heavily conservative and Christian state."

I'm sorry, this is where I started laughing really loudly...

Å99

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

May I ask why? Was it just funny? Lol. Your post made me laugh.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

have they not created a living, breathing hell on earth?
i think this plane was the original heaven, or paradise,,,, not anymore..
--its what you make of it--

this planet was and is ready,completed...
we have chosen, to create hell on earth.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by akushla99

May I ask why? Because I was an idiot to move here? Ha ha.

OH NO! That is definitely NOT why I laughed...I don't think you're an idiot...*hug*

The Little Golden Book (that christians swallow, bulging eyes and distended cheeks) is the ultimate horror movie script...fear is the subject of the treatment...everything else is folded neatly around the fear, and tied in a bow...

Å99

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

peer pressure to do things like lust for power and materialism and treat women like objects

yep...sounds about right. I guess God wants it that way. Even though Christ spoke against accumulation of material wealth...somehow...it became the driving force behind Christian western world. And still...they are all great believers. In God they trust.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Fear is many things, and can work in two general ways. It can motivate us to learn more - people are often very interested in hearing about the stuff they fear the most. Terrorism, disease, violence etc. This is a very human trait - we want to know what dangers lurk in the dark, and we adjust our fear according to our surroundings.
However, fear can become irrational, and can also stop us from exploring new things - and eventually leads to mass hysteria.

Their behavior sounds very natural, however irrational.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
What is the fear you are feeling darkbake?

Is it fear of giving in to these emotions?

Ah, never mind, I see it is the fear of not conforming and not being accepted because of it.

Dare to be different, and just be yourself. If that is not good enough for your friends, then that is their problem and not yours. Perhaps you need new friends if they do not understand you.
You set the example, and let the chips fall where they may.

edit on 28-5-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Netflix: The Encounter. It's free to stream. Take a look at the movie. It starts slow and is poorly acted at first. After about 10 minutes, it picks up and is a great movie on faith and how God uses our circumstances to open up opportunities. With free will, does God create our circumstances or do we? The majority of this world on the surface is our own making. God provides the planet and mechanism. Nothing we can do can stop the Earth from turning. The world is a place to take in food (Knowledge) and expel what is not needed. The pendulum swings between opposites and finally stops at rest when we find the thing that makes it move.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
Okay. So I moved to Idaho recently, which is a heavily conservative and Christian state. Here is the problem - since I moved here, I have experienced a lot of fear and peer pressure to do things like lust for power and materialism and treat women like objects.

I don't like power and wealth and materialism and treating women like objects.

Bear in mind that a fair amount of the population in Idaho is not Christian, but Mormon, and the Mormon Church has a different view of power, wealth and women than mainline Protestant and Catholic churches have. I'm not saying that whoever you feel is pressuring you is a Mormon, but they're not necessarily Christians, as Christ taught to treat all people equally, and not to seek power and earthly wealth.

edit on 28-5-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I don't like power and wealth and materialism and treating women like objects. So if this is some kind of sick and twisted spiritual test, and the only reason that I do those things is because of fear, not because I want to, does that even count as being tempted?

Darkbake,

I'm curious as to why you moved to Idaho. Was it for school, employment or to follow your family or loved one? What kinds of things are you doing that go against your personal ethics? Are you working for a politician? Are you working for a bank that's scooping up property illegally and evicting poor people? Are you a manager at a Hooter's? How are you treating women like objects and being influenced by a shallow pursuit of wealth and power?

edit on 28-5-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join