It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video from inside a Tornado Intercept Vehicle Hit By Wedge Tornado in Kansas

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I think if I was in that vehicle, I would be peeing my pants! That was rather scary looking. I wonder if that was the first video ever captured inside a tornado. It was awesome to watch, thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Beautiful just beautiful, I like how the guy keeps commenting. "My ears are popping, ears are popping, ears are!!! brrrrr" Oh ya! being in a high pressure zone like that would do some funny things to you, I would think. Amazing that they even got footage or sound while being in middle of it.

Oh! and a gnarly car they have, but without those spikes to anchor it to the ground and even with all that armor, and weight, it would probably flip over like a turtle on its back, even in stronger winds the thing just may take off, however very cool and impressive none the less.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

haha thats crazy looks like something out of terminator, epic clip

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Holy Crap!! Holy Crap!!!! Never seen anything that would compare to that. Just OUTSTANDING !!!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I've always wanted to see a tornado... but at a safer distance

And as I get older, that distance continues to increase... haha I still enjoy these shows, and this video was amazing. Hopefully he got something even more impressive on the IMAX film.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Looks amazing from within the vehicle, but I simply can't imagine being trapped in that outside of the vehicle. Those "get into a ditch and cover your head" plans don't seem like they'd do anything in this situation..

Also, the popping of the ears, if I heard correctly, must have been awful. No telling how many times they probably popped during that.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Was wondering why that car didnt get flung over in the wind.
Apparently they call it their "TIV2".

Was only when I went looking for a picture of it, that it answered my first question...

I was saying, it's like being in a giant power washer machine, they'd need windows from a jet to survive that. I was wondering how they managed to drop anchor on land to lock themselves to the ground.

Then, wow.
It's not a car, it's the ultimate anti-zombie prepper car. That. Is. Awesome. It's the car from the Aliens movie. With a car like that there is a space ship near by.

edit on 28-5-2013 by Sandalphon because: spaaaaaace!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow that video was insane and the noise was absolutely ear shattering though I must commend them for getting the footage now it is still up to us to help those people recover

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
i saw the video first thing this morning because "texas storm chasers" are in my facebook feed. CRAZY!!!! kind of made me nauseous to watch it. tornadoes scare the crap out of me.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Excellent video. That is some crazy stuff. Too bad storm chasers is off the air. Much respect to those who chase these for science.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Just amazing! I've seen my share of tornadoes in my parts, but always at a safe distance. This is just wow.

And Yes! I'm pretty sure that was a deer flying by at the 1:00 mark.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
That's pretty much the holy grail in terms of storm chaser footage, but even allowing for the armour plating, they were fortunate in that a tornado in a rural location doesn't carry large and potentially lethal debris.
That is definitely NOT a place to be for most storm chasers. I admire these guys for their courage and their persistence in seeking out encounters like this - it's not just spectacular footage, but important research that will enhance scientific knowledge and ultimately save lives.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for posting the video.

Im from the area the tornado was filmed. Grew up there.
Moved about 80 miles north to Nebraska a few years back.
I was on the phone with my brother as the storm was heading thru and told him to lemme know if anything happens.,
He informed me that it was just a regular storm and nothing happened....LOL......had to send him the video....

Damn thing was right between the 2 of us and neither of us knew anything about it until afterwards......

In Kansas its pretty common place to stand out on the porch and watch these things,,,,I remember when the adults decided I was old enough to stand out there and watch too.... One of the best nights of my life....I felt so cool...

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I was wondering why they just sat there for so long, as most storm chasers attempt to get away from the tornado. They usually just want to get close, not inside it. But this is very likely not a regular vehicle, but one of those heavy duty, steel plated vehicles designed to allow a tornado to pass overhead without picking the vehicle up. I personally am wondering how much static electricity is generated inside a tornado. It has to be a huge amount, considering all of the dirt and dust particles banging into one another constantly. That was a pretty neat video, and even the heavy duty windshield was cracked. I still think they were relatively lucky, since even in a reinforced vehicle, if the tornado is strong enough it can still mess the thing up pretty badly.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Holy crap!

When he starts saying his ears were popping,
I think at that point I would start screaming!
I wonder what the pressure was in the vehicle?

Something like that would probably cause your ear to ring for a while!

Never seen anything like that ever!

That is one tough machine. The spark on the windshield was something else too. Man, That is just simply crazy insane! I can't believe it stayed on the ground.

Blown away!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I remember when I was young, I would hear about and see those crazy tornado chasers and always say they should invent a vehicle that could actually drive directly into the tornado. Of course, though I thought it would be cool, I knew in the back of my mind that it wasn't feasible. I never thought I'd live to see the day where someone would actually be able to drive a vehicle into a tornado like that. It's incredible (and terrifying).

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Wow! Incredible video!
I have to admit - why would I build a house in that area out of WOOD? This is something I always asked myself after seeing footage from some area where a tornado simply took away all those buildings and left only the foundation.

What kind of buildings resisted the OK-tornado? Wood, brick, concrete, reinforced-concrete?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Best thing on ATS in months.....although it came from YouTube...

Absolutely amazing. I'd have paid big money to have been in that vehicle.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

its actually really low pressure
same thing happens when you go up really high in a plane, the pressure decreases as it passes over or even close to you. think of a tornado as a mini-hurricane, roughly 900 millibars range. normal surface pressure is about 1,000 millibars, except denver which is like 950. absolutely amazing video by the way, ive never seen bushes/trees fly by at 150 miles per hour in front of my face before!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Didn't these guys have a show on Discovery channel back then? They always wanted to get inside a tornado, I guess that they've finally done it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join