It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hate Windows 7

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I hate it. And I only upgraded from XP Pro to Win 7 because at the end of this year, Microsoft will stop supporting XP. It is ridiculous. I spent something like 20 hours just trying to make my computer act like it's running XP. The stupid folders don't even navigate right. When you want to find something, it's not where it's supposed to be. At all. And if you ask someone "where is X at?" they'll tell you to hit the start menu, then use search.

NO. I DON'T WANT TO USE SEARCH. I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE THING IS I AM LOOKING FOR TYVM.

Just now I tried to install a font, for GIMP. It doesn't work. Why? Because I don't have Administrator privileges. Except that I do. It's my computer. My user name is even called -and I double checked- "(My Name) Administrator."

On top of that, when you go to the freaking MICROSOFT WEBSITE to ask how to install a font, it helpfully tells you to go to Fonts, then click File, the click Install a Font. YES, I'D LOVE TO. BUT THERE IS NO OPTION TO INSTALL A FARKING FONT OKAY? THAT'S WHY I'M ON YOUR WEBSITE ASKING FOR HELP.

Who wants a dbag OS that doesn't even allow the COMPUTER OWNER to do something so simple as to install a font.

I swear, they're dumbing it down on purpose.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I sort of felt the same way when I first moved over to 7 from XP. But trust me you do get used to it fairly quickly, and it is better than XP in a lot of ways once you get the hang of it. However I would recommend installing Classic Shell. XP is now becoming obsolete. Windows 7 Ultimate is the way to go, but steer clear of Vista and 8, they are both pathetic excuses for an OS.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Use virtualization software like virtualbox or VMware. Seriously though your lucky to have picked 7, vista is worse and i will not even mention other versions. just think by the time you master this version it wont be supported anymore yeahhhh.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Who wants a dbag OS that doesn't even allow the COMPUTER OWNER to do something so simple as to install a font.

I'm not sure what your problem is. All you need to do is get the font file you want to install and double click on the file (it should be a .ttf, .otf, .woff, .sfg, or .eot file). You will then be prompted with a window which shows details about the font and allows you to install the font into your system.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I actually thought Microsoft stopped supporting XP Years ago.

Anyways Windows 7 absolutely SUX from what I hear and it is right next to Windows Vista. If you want an OS that SUX even more try Windows 8 and I have it on good authority that it SUX 'cause Microsoft Says So.

I know people that had a tough time getting through the Windows 2000 transition to XP.

The point is that you will have to either learn Windows 7 or convert to Linux. Just remember that Google can be a Very Informative Friend.

edit on 28-5-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

I will ask my husband about Classic Shell. It looks like something which I might like, from the screenshots on the site, but I usually ask him about addons before I mess with them. He is an IT professional.

I've never heard of Win 7 Ultimate, I am running Win 7 Professional. I chose that version since I preferred XP Pro over XP.

And as far as getting used to it, unfortunately, I've been using it for four months already. And every time I try to make one little change, even a stupid change like adding a font, I have an issue and instead of doing it in five minutes it ends up taking an hour. Yes, AN HOUR I JUST SPENT TO GET ONE FONT. And it's not even truly installed since I just had to cram it into the Gimp/fonts.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

And that wasn't luck on my Win 7 choice.

I was literally going to run XP Pro until it quit being supported, which is happening in Dec 13. I have watched, read, tested, and talked to anyone and everyone about 7, 8, and Vista. Because I was trying to AVOID the problems, anxiety, and frustration I am having right now.

I have seen adults CRY over Vista. 7 was chosen after tons of research. I did not want another ME disaster. Anyone remember ME? I got it and used it for like 6 months before uninstalling it and going backwards.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

Yeah, Google was informative. They informed me about 10,000 people complaining they can't install a font on their own freaking computer and how to they do it? I've read about 6 different ways to fix the problem. A couple were so complex I didn't DARE do anything.

I'm just gonna have to ask my husband tomorrow (he's asleep) when he gets off work (hate bugging a person right when they get off) to see about changing my authorities in the computer. I should not be having these problems. They are affecting my income.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Ameilia

I'm not sure what your problem is. All you need to do is get the font file you want to install and double click on the file (it should be a .ttf, .otf, .woff, .sfg, or .eot file). You will then be prompted with a window which shows details about the font and allows you to install the font into your system.

The problem is, I can get the font file. I can unzip it. It won't install. There's no option. There is no "install." I'm totally restricted off of it. Remember, I DO have ADMIN privileges. When I Copy the new font folder and then Paste it into the Fonts folder, it says it's invalid and refuses to install.

If you Google "why does Windows 7 say my font is invalid" you will see a shirty ton of people complaining about this very issue.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

The problem is, I can get the font file. I can unzip it. It won't install. There's no option. There is no "install." I'm totally restricted off of it. Remember, I DO have ADMIN privileges. When I Copy the new font folder and then Paste it into the Fonts folder, it says it's invalid and refuses to install.

Where are you downloading your font files from? If they are in compressed .rar files or something you will need WinRar to unzip the files and access the font files. You don't need to copy any folders anywhere or do anything like that. You simply need to get the .ttf or .otf file and double click on it. When you open the font file you will see a window like this:

edit on 28/5/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Holy Gawd, that worked! Why did no one say that SIMPLE EXPLANATION on ANY of the NINE forums I have Google to find out how to install a font. I never thought to click on the .ttf file or anything. Every font I have ever installed before, using 95, 98, XP, ME, and XP Pro, I have simply downloaded the font folder, unzipped it, (they come as .zip from 1001freefonts.com), copied it from my desktop where I extract to normally, and pasted into the folder windows/fonts folder. And it has always worked. Until now.

But crap, I just totally clicked on the .ttf, it DID come up with an install button identical to your screenshot, and when I went and checked in the Font folder, it was there.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

I'm in the information security field and to be honest it takes a hell of a lot of time mastering an OS but for some reason MS pumps OS's out every 3 or 4 years. This is done to close security loopholes within a OS and make it tougher. Your used to XP hell xp was the most widely used os in offices until recently but that isn't going to bring the OS back sadly your going to have to learn this operating system or go with apple which I highly doubt you will enjoy or learn linux which is much easier if your a computer nerd who knows how to issue commands without the UI.

My suggestion is your get a book "boring I know" Its like reading a dictionary seriously I know! Get one with a labsim and set out to learn it quick or you will forever be pissed off that nothing is where it should be. Do the labs and the tests. In a month it will be second nature to you plus you will know more about the OS and its new functions.

It could be worse you could be trying to get your windows certification where they want you to of mastered all versions of windows OS's.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Why did no one say that SIMPLE EXPLANATION on ANY of the NINE forums I have Google to find out how to install a font.
Yeah I don't know, I just had a quick look and it isn't really explained in simple terms in many places. If I remember correctly, I also was confused by the way fonts are installed when I first started using Windows 7. I'm not sure why they changed the way it works but at least now you know how to do it.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I was a staunch XP user. It was the flagship for many reasons.
But then I moved to 7 and I've never looked back.
Its smooth, easy to navigate.
Everyone hates whats different
New things are different
Give it time, i bet you'll love it more than XP
if I have one gripe about XP and 7, its that ipconfig doesnt work from the run command. I want a ipconfig gui bill!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ameilia

Man, I hear you. I detest WIn7. And I am an IT professional. The worst thing is when networking doesn't work the way it's supposed to. I've found a thousand different suggestions on a thousand different websites, and none of them work. And I know how to--and do--give myself "System" privileges (which is even above Administrator privileges).

Anyway, I have a couple of suggestions. First of all, the fact that XP is no longer "supported" doesn't mean squat. It will still work as usual. In fact I still use it almost exclusively. I have all of my computers at home--and most at work--set to dual-boot Win7 and XP. At work I allow the user to make the choice. If you want to use XP, make sure it's nice and clean--no gotchas, no viruses, etc.--and image the drive. If anything goes wrong, just replace the image. Your husband will know how to do that.

If you do use Windows 7, in addition to Classic Menu you'll also want to install Ultimate Windows Tweaker. You can find it here.

I could add more, but it's past my bedtime. So good luck....

ETA: I will take time to add one more thing. Win 7's "search" makes me absolutely homicidal. I use Agent Ransack. You can find it here.

edit on 5/28/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

On the contrary, that doesn't sound boring in the slightest. I write all my books in Word 2003, and believe it or not so do most current writers. For some reason, everyone has issues if they don't choose 03. It's the best. I can do anything there, and you know how I learned that? I took a class. It was called Word 2003, I kid you not. So, I will just check out a good book on navigating Win 7 and do the labs. Because that's how I learn. Since my husband is IT, there is a possibility he can even get me one for nothing! That is a wonderful suggestion, thank you for making it.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Yes, it is very important for me to know this, since I use GIMP, and new fresh fonts, on a regular basis. Next time I won't have this problem, or this anxiety which has actually raised my heart rate. Yes, I got that frustrated.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Thank you for those links. I will be looking into them. I should have come here when I first got Win 7 and got you all's suggestions. Next time I will do that since multiple people are posting multiple things I think would help make my life easier.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I was a staunch XP user. It was the flagship for many reasons.
But then I moved to 7 and I've never looked back.
Its smooth, easy to navigate.
Everyone hates whats different
New things are different
Give it time, i bet you'll love it more than XP
if I have one gripe about XP and 7, its that ipconfig doesnt work from the run command. I want a ipconfig gui bill!

type CMD then when your in the command prompt type Ipconfig but i get what your saying

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ameilia

On the contrary, that doesn't sound boring in the slightest. I write all my books in Word 2003, and believe it or not so do most current writers. For some reason, everyone has issues if they don't choose 03. It's the best. I can do anything there, and you know how I learned that? I took a class. It was called Word 2003, I kid you not. So, I will just check out a good book on navigating Win 7 and do the labs. Because that's how I learn. Since my husband is IT, there is a possibility he can even get me one for nothing! That is a wonderful suggestion, thank you for making it.

The labs can be a hassle at times a trick you can use is to hit the done button and then print the directions if you cant figure it out. Best of luck

top topics

<<   2 >>

join