It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas state Sen opposes tax cuts in case poor buy more food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Here's the report:

A Republican state lawmaker in Kansas says that he opposes cutting the taxes on groceries because it would be a form of “social engineering” that encourages people to buy food over other items.

The Kansas state Senate on Thursday voted to cut the state sales tax on food from 6.3 percent to 4.95 percent, but Sen. Jeff Melcher (R) led opposition against the measure, arguing that it would lead to people eating more.

"It seems to me we are encouraging the behavior of purchasing food and discouraging the behavior of purchasing anything else," Melcher reportedly told his colleagues.

So that's a 1.05% drop in the tax - 1 cent in a $??

Just to show that this is not just a matter of bashing eth GOP, there are plenty of GOP members baffled by this sort of thinking too - fellow (??) Rep State Senator Barbara Bollier wasn't quite sure what to make of this:

I have no words. That’s just beyond comprehension to me. We each get to think what we want to think. But this is so far out there that I can’t believe someone said it. It’s frightening. That’s what it is.”

Y'all got to stop electing jerks!!
edit on 27-5-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I've never factored in taxes while shopping.

I would go for any tax cut myself.

And just because he is GOP doean't mean he's a Conservative.
edit on 27-5-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's not the nature of the tax cut - it is the reasoning for opposing it that I find obnoxious!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by NOTurTypical

It's not the nature of the tax cut - it is the reasoning for opposing it that I find obnoxious!

Well, in all likelihood that's not the real reason it's being opposed. Just the "official" story.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well, in all likelihood that's not the real reason it's being opposed. Just the "official" story.
From the OP.

"It seems to me we are encouraging the behavior of purchasing food and discouraging the behavior of purchasing anything else," Melcher reportedly told his colleagues.

My work is Done.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I keep telling people that republicans want all of us peons to suffer, this is a pretty good illustration of that mindset.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

edit on 27-5-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

My initial thoughts on reading that story was that Sen. Jeff Melcher (R) was merely opposing the law for no other reason that it was being pushed through by Democrats, and that he just made up an excuse off the top of his head as his reason for opposing it.

But it gets more bizzare.

A quick check elsewhere on the net tells me that the Kansas Senate is actually 80 percent Republican, and so it was Republicans who pushed this tax bill through the Senate.

So... not only is this guy an idiot, he's also opposing his own party.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Kansas has a "sales tax" on food? Is it the only state in the union? Food is non-taxable.

Am I wrong about this? No where that I've lived in the US is there a sales tax on food.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by alfa1

Kansas has a "sales tax" on food? Is it the only state in the union? Food is non-taxable.

Am I wrong about this? No where that I've lived in the US is there a sales tax on food.

Raw food isn't taxed, but in my state, (Indiana), prepared food is taxable.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Here in Ohio food from grocery stores is not taxed except soda. prepared food from restaurants is only taxed if it eaten at the establishment there is no tax on prepared food on take out orders except again soda.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
What a piece of garbage. Why do we keep electing these fools?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jholt5638

Which pretty much illustrates how arbitrary the taxation is!!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Here's the report:

To nit-pick....that isn't the report...that is the article from Huffington Post. Maybe I misinterpreted, I thought it linked to the actual Senate report.

Holding off on everything else till I see the real report out of the Senate, but I agree with the above....

ETA: Most states already exempt grocery items (food) from sales tax. I think this particular state senator is a wee-bit insane. As to the above I wrote, I see it was just his musings on the bill and not a senate report out of Kansas State House.
edit on 28-5-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

If you don't suffer then why else would you turn to jesus?

Republicans have said time and time again that they cant wait for society to suffer so that they head back to church. They have some prophecy's to self fulfill.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Here's the report:

To nit-pick....that isn't the report...that is the article from Huffington Post. Maybe I misinterpreted, I thought it linked to the actual Senate report.

Possibly the title should have said "Senator" rather than "Sen" - sorry if it led to any confusion.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Probably the worst argument I have heard in a while. People need food to survive, everything else is voluntary. Items needed to survive should be easier to get than other junk and "luxury items".

I personally prefer organic/healthy foods/drinks not taxed and sweets/ junk foods/processed foods/sweet drinks being taxed.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by alfa1

It is a state-by-state issue. Many states exempt "food" items from sales tax, some tax them at a small rate, others tax them but provide a rebate.

Utah, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, W. Virgina, and Virginia have a tax on "food" at a lower rate other than normal sales tax.

Mississippi and Alabama tax at their normal sales tax rate.

Idaho, South Dakota, Kansas and Oklahoma offer rebates, but most likely the "food" is taxed at a full rate.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join