It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you are really prepared for the Dog Eat Dog society you relish and preach on this site?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Diisenchanted
reply to post by jjsr420

Why shouldn't they have to work in factories? I spent 7 years working in a factory. Nothing wrong with that.

Also it should be noted when I was a young man of 14 the parks department would let you work off your electric bill by doing work for the city. My mom didn't make a lot of money so I spent my summers working off the electric bill. So don't whine to me about doing what you have to do to get by. Grow some balls.
First off, pay attention to what I said, I said that IF someone worked 7-8 hours a day they may as well just pay them normally instead of with foodstamps.

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
You're dependant on someone else to pay the bill so you can buy food. "Assistance" is a nice, sugar coated, non threatening word to use, unfortunately those of us paying taxes don't feel like we're participating in a program of "assistance." We "assist" people voluntarily by donating to food banks and churches, we are involuntarily (read: robbed) funding your food stamp "assistance" out of each paycheck we earn.

I continue to be beyond amused at the lack of shame and the lack of tangible pride and dignity so many Americans display.

So basically what you're saying is, even though i'm activly trying to make my life better, you'd rather me starve cause you don't want to help anyone? That's adult. On to the next one.

Originally posted by NavyDoc
Wow. You have put shoe leather to pavement. I could slip you the numbers of a temp agency or two where my one brother has had success finding work. It may be stuff like packing soap at Avon, not fun but will work as a placeholder while something better comes around...or even better...keep you going while you go back to school/train in a trade.

I'd love that actually. It don't matter to me what it is. I'd hapilly shovel horse poo just to get my life better.

Originally posted by NavyDoc
That's odd as those sorts of places are always hiring due to a large amount of turnover. The hardest qualification for many of those jobs is "show up on time." that is the biggest compliant I've heard from employers. Don't have any scary face tattoos do ya?

I only have one tat, on my arm, small, and it's my initials; nonvisible. I have no record. I have ADHD. But it's hard to find a place to bathe, my hair needs to be cut. I can't stay at the shelter cause I got kicked out for reporting staff that was selling heroine to clients; so no baths for me. I take two baths a week at a place called the LEC (Life Enrichment Center) but that don't keep me smelling fresh enough. That hasn't stopped me though, i'm still looking. Eventually my determination will win out. Someone will hire me. I just have to keep at it. IMO.

Originally posted by Diisenchanted
reply to post by jjsr420

You didn't even read my post did you? As I said before I have no problem giving a man a hand up. I do have a problem with giving a man a hand out.
You seem to have a problem giving back to a society that help's you out.
The only time I personally want someone to help me out is when I am in diapers and I can't do it myself. That is what I pay into social security for!
It should also be noted that the good lord helps those who help themselves.

I read your post. People should be more willing to help eachother out. We all live on this planet TOGETHER. Yea, if you see the same guy on the same street corner for years, and you know he's not trying, at some point you have to cut him off. I myself, however, am out EVERY DAY. That's why I haven't been on here as much. I'm trying to make my life better. I want more than this pitiful existance of sleeping underneath rail-road tressels. And if you read my posts, you would see I am helping myself.

Sorry to everyone about the super-delayed response. I had to go yesterday. Got a call. Made enough cutting grass to get some clothes from the thrift-shop.

Either way, I firmly believe that ALL humans should help eachother. Nobody on this forum can say they've never made mistakes. I know I have.

But back on subject, if tshtf, i'd be ready. Very few people can really say that, which is one of my biggest problems with how, and more importantly, what our children are taught in school. Yea, math, science, reading; all that IS important. However, they should also be taught basic survival skills, and self-defense.

Either way, to everyone who replied; good, or bad; thanks for the input. I'll quote some lyrics: I hope we see the light before it's ruined.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by jjsr420

When I saw you mention that you need a haircut an incident came to mind that I thought might help you. My daughter took me a few months ago to get a new hairstyle (a belated birthday gift) and while there a seemingly homeless man came in and talked to the receptionist (it was a busy Saturday so we were sitting in the waiting area right by the desk). He told the lady that he didn't have any money but desperately needed a haircut and offered to sweep up hair and take out the trash or whatever they might need in exchange for a haircut. He got not only a haircut but a shampoo, an excellent style and a shave- all for a few minutes with a broom and taking the trash to the dumpster. I don't know how many salons he had to try before he finally found one that would work with him, but you might give it a try. Just a suggestion.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
It's about lack of empathy and overpouring selfishness and narcissism.

People who bitch about some poor wino being on welfare make me sick. There's always some people who abuse the system. Have some solidarity, please.

Oh, and the whole "each man for himself" is shortsighted, egoistical BS that divides people rather than unites then.
edit on 29/5/2013 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

No, I am sure leftists do a good job of dividing people themselves.

www.carolinajournal.com...
www.theatlantic.com...
majorityrights.com...

And I am not stupid enough to trust a leftist.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
I sense a certain attitude in many posts here at ATS. It's an attitude that shows no sympathy for those viewed as lesser than yourselves.
I have seen it, too, and it bothers me.

Many feel that the homeless, welfare, drug addicts, and other bottom of the barrel people are getting what they deserve and shouldn't be a drain on the rest of society.
What I find amusing is that not one of those people can even name the society they care so much about. They might blather something that sounds like "The United States of Merkuh!", but what they don't know is that entity has no real-world component. It is a for-profit corporation, run by psychopaths. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the organic culture that those who live within its proclaimed boundaries share. Nothing, that is, except for the ways the psychopaths have been engineering certain aspects of it for decades.

What you are preaching and asking for is a dog eat dog world. A devolution from our civilized society. You wish to return to when everyone cared for just their immediate family and damn everyone else.

Why do so many wish to return to such a time?
You forgot to factor in the destruction (in the last 100 or so years) of the extended family. We never had a nuclear-family-based dog-eat-dog world. It was clans and tribes.

I ask are all of you (who will probably be too shame to post in this thread) REALLY built for such a society? I don't think so, you actually want a society that's half civilized and half savage. Especially when it comes to yourselves.
I am all for civilization. But civilization means based on civility. Based on agreement/contract. What we have today is an oligarchy, not a civilization. They sure love that patina of morality, though.

How many of you are young, strong and trained to survive in such a savage society? I'd wager that there is a percentage who spew they want such a society but they would be among the first to expire should we return to such savagery!
The less you have, the less someone else will want to take what you have, unless they are just plain crazy.

Many of you speaking of all this heartlessness are out of shape and may even have disabilities. You would be among the FIRST to expire. You should want this society to be as civilized as possible. You are all hypocrites!
I think they are bitter, and don't know where else to aim their bitterness.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

I sense a certain attitude in many posts here at ATS. It's an attitude that shows no sympathy for those viewed as lesser than yourselves.

Many feel that the homeless, welfare, drug addicts, and other bottom of the barrel people are getting what they deserve and shouldn't be a drain on the rest of society.

What you are preaching and asking for is a dog eat dog world. A devolution from our civilized society. You wish to return to when everyone cared for just their immediate family and damn everyone else.

Why do so many wish to return to such a time?

I ask are all of you (who will probably be too shame to post in this thread) REALLY built for such a society? I don't think so, you actually want a society that's half civilized and half savage. Especially when it comes to yourselves.

How many of you are young, strong and trained to survive in such a savage society? I'd wager that there is a percentage who spew they want such a society but they would be among the first to expire should we return to such savagery!

Many of you speaking of all this heartlessness are out of shape and may even have disabilities. You would be among the FIRST to expire. You should want this society to be as civilized as possible. You are all hypocrites!

I hear you dude! It's unfortunate today we have no imagination and as such we have little to no empathy!
I believe just like any addict, society will have to devolve into anarchy before we can go forward with a real civilization! It's usually those that have lived through tough times that have genuine empathy! This is why I believe we will have to devolve to evolve! We will have to take two steps backward before we can take three
steps up!

I must say at least those that say they are selfish are honest cause all of us are selfish to one degree or another and those that come on here preaching of social justice are usually full of it! Most of us today are only interested in what's good for us and ours, while showing some concern for others only when it does not adversely effect them! We are programmed with this instinct to keep us from harm and there is no shame in showing who we truly are! Today we go about our businesses until something that effects our well being comes into our lives!
Someone leaves a monetary gift to our siblings or something similar and we feel hurt, angry or left out!
today we are living in a world only wanting money to acquire material goods! With costs going up there is less and less to go around and so it becomes more important to gain wealth! We are like rats in a maze fighting for the piece of cheese!
today we see many people splitting up with their families due to some argument over money! This is why we need to go back to a simpler time where there were not so many material goods distracting us and relearn how to socialize IRL and not through todays social media! Though I can't imagine any of us ever doing this voluntarily! Only after a great purge of our society will our children learn how to survive and only through a cooperative effort will their survival be possible! This will be the genesis of a truly cooperative society beyond wealth accumulation!

I don't know how long before this will happen because this is not up to me but I suspect I will see the devolution before the end of my lifetime! Probably before the beginning of the next decade and may even start by the end of this year! I suspect things will get worse until the system totally collapses and the elitist will be entrenched in their bunkers with automated weapon systems protecting their entrances! You and I will be left to our own devices to most likely fight over whatever scraps of food are left! Though most people don't realize this but this will be a very violent time in our history where gangs of thugs will control any large caches of food! So even at this time the only people on the surface that will survive will be those cooperating together even if they kill each other off in doing so! I don't know how long this anarchy type society will go on for but I suspect that towns near small farms will be the first to come back to some kind of order! Though this is all educated guesswork as to what our society will transform into after our federal and local governments end their policing of society!
I hope I'm wrong and we can change our world before something like I envisioned but we can only change this world if the majority of us choose to!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

I'm with you, I'd much rather have my hard earned tax dollars go to someone that can't work or can't find a job then some fat cat banker's golden parachute. It's pathetic how much people on ATS defend the ultra rich.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Procession101

I'm with you, I'd much rather have my hard earned tax dollars go to someone that can't work or can't find a job then some fat cat banker's golden parachute. It's pathetic how much people on ATS defend the ultra rich.

I would rather it stay in my pocket, as I earned it.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Very few are actually prepared for that unknown. Most of those few have already been living that way, so they have adapted partially. I say partially because until it happens, you just don't know what kind of chaos it would bring.

I'm not prepared for it, and I doubt I ever really would be. Most of those who claim they are ready, are only ready until the reality hits.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The stuff isn't not going to hit any fan to begin with.

Stuff only hits fans in third world oil countries. (with exception of terrorist attacks that are contained at regular intervals in western countries)

For us, we will simply endure a slow decline and slow rot of the standard of living.

Money will flow to largely .gov, and those that .gov subcontracts.

The masses will be satisfied as they always have, with some form of entertainment or distraction

No civilian group should be so foolish as to think they could oppose the federal army. I don't care how much veggy's you can and store in your basement, or if you have a lot of guns.

Gov. has more.

edit on 29-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
I read this site quite regularly, and I have never got the impression people here "relish" or "preach" that we should be a dog eat dog violent society. I have read many posts of people asking questions and giving options on how to prepare for such a scenario.

Oh then you must have missed a few threads or not been here that long.
I think some of us know what prompted this thread.
A dog eat dog is in my opinion when you only look out for yourself and don't care who you step on ( and hurt) in order to get what you want. So the question is will it come to where everybody is like this, if it isn't already this way?
It sure is becoming this way. Its started and the problem I see is people who are compassionate are overrun by ones who aren't. It rubs off on you. Hang out with mean people and you'll become one yourself eventually. The opposite is also true. Unfortunately there's very few of us compassionate souls left on this planet and that is very sad.

Be your own person and stay true to yourself if you are a compassionate soul. I'm passionate about caring for others and yes there were times I wondered why I bothered to help another who was in need, but I can let one bad apple spoil it for those who are deserving. However I feel all are deserving, if they fall on bad times.
Read my post while its still here . Thanks

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It is all in how you judge people. Many judge people based on fame,money,power,strength,position,intelligence

I judge based on kindness,empathy,humor,honesty.

Also you say these kind of people are bottom of the barrel. This is the wrong way of thinking and leads to the very problem you want to solve. Everyone has ups and downs. It is what you learn from it that matters.
edit on 29-5-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

Everything you have...EVERYTHING...all of your success is due in large part to you living in a society with a strong government! As much as you hate to admit (and many will refuse), with out our government and laws we would all be living in Somalia! Yes our government and regulations are extreme at times, but without them, LOL, would be even worst.

You have got to be joking. While funny, it is sad to know that there are people like you that truly believe this Progressive crap.

Look at business these days. Many are stifled and dead right out of the chute because of Govt.

It is funny that you believe this crap, while working within the same Govt machine you champion.

Yeah, okay then, sure sure.

If you are intelligent and intellectually honest, there's no way you can deny the fact that our strong government is the reason America is a world leader and prosperous.

Yes, many businesses are stifled due to government, but without government, every business owner would have to hire their own private Army. How would world commerce be going if a guy had to negotiate and police his trade partner China himself? Or raising the goals, how would the state of Texas be able to go toe to toe with China, since you were probably ready to throw "the States should have the power" in there?

Going to organized crime, why do you think it took FEDERAL intervention to bring many of the larger criminals down? It's because they had the money, power and influence to control entire cities and states!

How do you think WWII would have ended if instead of a strong, unified country we had 50 individual states? We'd all be speaking German!

I can't begin to go into the many ways we benefit from a strong, central government. Yeah it has some problems now, but if we put our .s together we could fix it to work for the better of everyone.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Originally posted by Tryptych
It's about lack of empathy and overpouring selfishness and narcissism.

People who bitch about some poor wino being on welfare make me sick. There's always some people who abuse the system. Have some solidarity, please.

Oh, and the whole "each man for himself" is shortsighted, egoistical BS that divides people rather than unites then.
edit on 29/5/2013 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

No, I am sure leftists do a good job of dividing people themselves.

www.carolinajournal.com...
www.theatlantic.com...
majorityrights.com...

And I am not stupid enough to trust a leftist.

Are you suggesting a Rightist is any better? If so...how?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

That's only possible if you are an island. Are you an island? Did you truly earn everything on your own? Did you educate yourself? Did you grow all the food you eat and irragate all the water you drink? Do you only travel on roads you pave?

The business you work for or own...did you create and educate the consumers yourself? Do you provide your own security and insurance?

The answer to all of this is no...even though you probably won't have the guts to admit it.

You benefited from being part of a civilized society. In itself which is a contract. A contract which says we receive _______ and in exchange we give __________.

Now the rates need some tinkering with, I can agree and we need a better system of accountability but we need not throw the entire thing out!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndthought
reply to post by Philippines

Please tell me. How can someone in the 'working poor' class (most of us) NOT pay taxes? Also, with those taxes being automatically deducted from our paychecks, why would we NOT fill out that 1040 so we can perhaps get a bit of those tax dollars back?

You sound educated. Are you American, living now in the Philippines? If I guessed correctly, then you're probably one of the wealthy few that can hire a tax attorney to help you not pay taxes. The many of us aren't so fortunate. Much like the ads that I've seen for Belize. Move down, they say. Live the life you dream of, away from the prying eyes of the IRS. Only the rich can do that. The rest of us are stuck here, making the best of it.

Hey there, thanks for the response!

To your first question - how can someone in the 'working poor' class NOT pay taxes? Well in the USA that depends on which state you live in, whether you pay a state income tax or sales tax. I don't think you can avoid taxation 100% unless you are completely off the grid and self supported. As for the taxes being deducted from your checks, I would suggest making sure you have as minimal deductions possible. When it comes to the 1040, you are contributing to the system, in faith, to keep it going. In this case for a payback for all the money you have put in. Who knows if that payback is there 20+ years from now.

Another option is living outside of the USA for over a year, while earning less than 80k USD a year, and not paying a penny -- by US law.

On your second point, I was born/raised in Texas. I never graduated college, I went to the air force. I made some leaps of faith (risks) in my life, which led me to the Philippines at the age of 24 for private business. After 7 years of learning corporate business and working my butt off, I got burned out and quit. Now I am living in a house on a budget of a couple hundred dollars a month with no air con, no heater, and on the internet through cell phone towers.

How are you physically stuck where you are? If you want a change in your life you can make it. Where there's a will there's a way, or something like that =)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Personally I doubt we could see our current civilization evolve into anything that's much worse of a "Dog eat Dog" society than what we currently live in. Sure in a complete meltdown scenario we would be forced into a "survival of the fittest" society but that is not necessarilly a "dog eat dog" society. It would simply mean that those of us who are prepared and capable of surviving in that scenario would then be forced to make a choice to help their fellow man or leave them to waste.

Just look around our society today and tell me how this that we are living in is not the biggest dog eat dog society man has ever lived in. We are all "programmed" through media to believe we have to have the biggest house, fanciest cars, newest tech gadgets and so on, to the point that we choose to indebt ourselves resulting in longer work hours and less family/relaxation time just to strive to have a piece of the "American Dream".

The American Dream is just that, its a dream, its the pursuit of materialism where people are willing to rob, steal, cheat, and kill just to get their little piece of the pie.

We live in a society where we look down on the homeless person under the overpass living on the scraps of society. We have been morally corrupted to the point that we are unable or unwilling to help someone out because we don't know if they are truly needy or just playing a well paying scam.

No, we are far from free of a "Dog eat Dog" society, we are in fact the epitomization of what a dog eat dog society is. We are more concerned with our status within the social structure than we are with our status among humanity.

The funny thing about "civilization" is that the longer it remains as is the more uncivilized it becomes. I could go on for hours about how screwed our society is but I think most people would contend that it is for the most part a very uncivilized world that we live in and it is rapidly going down the tubes.

If we as a society were faced with a scenario of a complete meltdown we would see some very hard times and much suffering however I believe that once the chains of materialism were removed from us we would be much better off.

Personally while I may be physically prepared for what may happen I am not, nor do I believe that anyone is truly prepared to make the choices they will have to make.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

That's all well and good.

When society collapses, and turns into the world that you yearn for, I wonder how much those pieces of paper that you have in your pocket will be worth? Especially when those who you would rather see starve are at your neck with a razor?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I propose a new game show of sorts.

Scoop up a bunch of folks who have made welfare their "job", put em on an island and force them to survive together without any handouts.

After 3 weeks (should be long enough), take those that thrived, return them to society and give them a home/job/life.

The rest can go back to their usual, active lifestyle. Fast food. New cars. #ty housing. New phones. New electronics. Designer clothes. Complaining about what they "ain't got". blah blah

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by violet

Yeah, I haven't been here for very long and still I know exactly what prompted this thread.

Some of the attitudes and comments posted there are repulsive to me, but whatever maybe they were having a really bad year and were just venting.

I wasn't going to post this, seeing as though some of the guys who produced it seemed to pull a complete 180, but it definitely seems to be more relevant today than back when it was released:

I think it will be a long, long time before we ever see true justice for all.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

Great song. We do need true justice for everyone in this nation and on this Earth, not just the bankers and powerful elite. Sadly we will never see that justice in place as long as we are part of a society that is more focused on greed and materialism.

When I think of our current situation and what will happen this song puts things in great perspective.

The lyrics are dead on IMO.

Procrastinating, pretending to worry,
Solving problems by pushing them aside,
Wasting time like we've all the time in the world.
Deliberation instead of solution,
Another term for blatant lies,
Biding time like we've all the time in the world.

And I'm not the only one who thinks we're trying to say,
To the heavens and all who hear us behold all we have made.
We bring destruction, we bring war without an end,
And then we live in hope that tomorrow never comes, never comes.

We conquer paradise just to burn it to the ground,
And we build a future to honour pasts we've left behind.
And then we hope that tomorrow never comes, never comes.

The problems get worse before they get better,
We find excuses to divert our eyes,
Let tomorrow deal with what we could have done.
And if you think we're the future, that we build tomorrow,
When was the last day without a war?
We speak of greatness that we have never been.

And I'm not the only one who thinks we're trying to say,
To the heavens and all who hear us behold all we have made.
And then we live in hope that tomorrow never comes, never comes.

We conquer paradise just to burn it to the ground,
And we build a future to honour pasts we've left behind.
And then we hope that tomorrow never comes, never comes.

It's just you and me now,
It's just you and me now,
It's just you and me against the world.

edit on 29-5-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-5-2013 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join