It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you are really prepared for the Dog Eat Dog society you relish and preach on this site?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by asher
reply to post by DZAG Wright

I don't think we would instantly devolve into a mad max scenario. There probably wouldn't be raiders knocking on your door. There are a variety of things that could happen depending on your location what type of people you live around how large your community is and how the collapse happend and effects on social structure infrastructure currency and the government. You would have to go into more detail about what you think the people on ATS want to happen before I could really answer that in detail.

It's apparent to myself that a large many on ATS wish our society to return to when we lived in small family groups and couldn't afford to worry about the well-being of outsiders. When we allowed people to die and starve in the streets.

This comes from the talk that drug addicts, welfare dependents and the such should not be cared for.

Many wish our society to return to when...

Just when, pray tell, was that time? When did we as a society live in small family groups not caring for anyone else? When we allowed people to die in the streets?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I thought we were already in a dog eat dog world.
Can't say I was one preaching the hypocrisy though, quite the opposite and the result of my empathy just showed me I better accept that this scenario will indeed be society's downfall, if it isn't already.

Can I handle it though, well I will have to.
I guess it comes down to survival.
You have to look out for yourself somewhere along the line.
Forget about caring for others. Why waste your time?
No. I don't really mean that I'm being sarcastic.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It always amazes me how few people actually realize that Darwin's surivial of the fittest applies to humans, too.

Because it doesn't apply. And as long as humans continue to shake hands (and say hello) to those they meet or come into contact with, instead of walking to their rears and sniffing one anothers behinds, I will hold firm to the belief that Darwin was just wrong.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I know exactly what our inner cities look like and what will happen if (as many people seem to wish) welfare and foodstamps were discontinued. It's not something I want! I'm addressing the people who DO want this and wish to devolve to savagery.

So you are saying that the working class must pay off the inner city non-workers so that the 'inner cities' won't go out and loot and kill because they don't get their handouts?

What is sad is that a lot of those 'inner city' people that you are talking about have made some very bad life decisions ... like getting hooked on drugs and having bunches of children whom they can't (or won't) take care of ... children who don't even know who their fathers are ... decisions like robbing people to get money to spend on $200 sneakers because it's 'cool' ...

... and you wonder why people who work for a living don't want to support that? Really? You are endorsing paying shake down money for those in the 'inner city' who are partly responsible for their own situations.

No this is not what I am saying and was not the premis of this thread.

However addressing what you suggest, it will be pure hell for everyone if entitlements are stopped. There are more poor than middle class or rich. In history, when the poor finally have enough of being stepped on the rich swing from lamp posts.

So you're saying the poor are quite ready and willing to bite the hand that feeds them? Where will that leave them?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Dude, I don't know if you noticed this, but the world is already like that. Its already what you outlined.
Its harsh and its empty. Thats what I see.
And I don't believe its going to change anytime soon either.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RiAcPeSa2A6M

Dude, I don't know if you noticed this, but the world is already like that. Its already what you outlined.
Its harsh and its empty. Thats what I see.
And I don't believe its going to change anytime soon either.

I'm pretty sure he's just talking Oceania, the Kingdom and North America.

"Western"

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Well as far as defending myself, I would like to think so. I would not say I would get tangled up with any, trust me it would be over very fast, and I would not allow anyone to get close enough to do me harm. I would only give one warning, I would try to stay away from as many problems as possible, and do my best to protect my family, and supplies. Would always look like I have nothing that anyone would want. But if I had to, I would make an example of someone who was a threat, if that happens to be the law so be it. I am sure that would be my demise, but I can promise you I am going to take as many as i possibly can. I am not a nut case, but I have reached the point where I no longer care! What ever is going to happen, will happen! Lets just get the show on the road and get it over with!

If people want to change the way things are, as I do!, I don't see any other way of it happening other than revolt! So i will prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. I will embrace the elimination of the people who brought this on us. I just hope everyone knows who the problems are.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I think we should break it down to the basics. If you are a functioning useful member of society then all should be good. If your caught abusing the system in any sort of way, taking advantage of others for your own selfish gains, you should be sent out on your own to fend for yourself. Some place where you are not at the top of the food chain.

Maybe people wouldn't become lazy or completely self absorbed when faced with the possibility of being seperated from the safety of the "pack".
And of course if you are sick, injured, elderly or handicapped, then fend for these people and protect them.
Maybe thats what this society lacks, is belonging to something that continues our survival of a species, where everyone is given the duty to contribute thus bringing pride to themselves, knowing they are one of the many strong.

Almost like a military mindset. Watch out for your brothers and sisters, if you don't they won't look out for you.

Today its all about "me" and "mine".

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Yea, thats what I'm talking about also.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

It’s in the western society blood lines to act the way they do; its passed on from parent to child ,from generation to generation, over and over and over again.. and then one day, we will see them on the news, killing multiple people because of the hate that was taught to them when they was young, and didn’t know any better to think for themselves.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjsr420
reply to post by jiggerj

That's more understandable. But what about people like myself? I'm looking for work, there's just nothing where I live that i'm qualified for.

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Also, notice there are 5 references to self within the first two sentances? LMAO!

Wow, how interesting that an individual who lays an entitlement claim to the earnings of others would take issue with someone's use of self identification. I ask this with the greatest of sincerity because I do not understand this mindset... How is it considered selfish and greedy to have an expectation and desire to retain as much of YOUR OWN PERSONAL EARNINGS as possible, yet it is pitiable and sympathetic to have your hand out towards everyone around you saying "gimme, gimme, mine, mine?"

People are far too interested in self. I get foodstampds. Unlike ALOT of other people I know, I don't sell them. I buy FOOD with them. I'm fairly positive that eating is a requirement to remain alive and stuff. So how am I saying "gimme, gimme, mine mine" when the only assistance I accept is with food? Sorry, but that made no sense.

There are a number of government programs that re-train people in different fields. As a for instance, I drive truck. There is a program where the gov. pays a student to go to truck driving school, most offer room and board. Most students are then picked up by a truck company for on road training. The gov. pays the company for that training, after the student becomes a qualified driver.

Or. If you can't find work where you are, move. I was unemployed for 1 1/2 yrs. Never applied for gov. assistance. Personal choice. Burned thru savings and a credit card. Finally had to move from Vermont to Georgia. You gotta do what you gotta do. No offense, but ... quit crying and take control.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII

No one wants to go back on soup lines,but if you knew anything about the welfare system ,you would understand why most people find welfare recipients so distasteful.
Not all,but more than 60%.
Its pretty much why the country is broke ,and the govt perpetuates it .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

The vast majority of the numbers I've seen say that seniors are the most expensive thing. Any one who retires without a couple million in the bank will end up drawing on welfare in some form, as they get old and can't work and need more and more spendy medical treatments to stay alive. Behind that is kids, born without parents with enough money to pay for everything kids need, behind that its disabled adults (remember the mentally disabled kids you saw in the special ed room in highschool? They grow up.) And somewhere in there, I've seen it too - are welfare parasites. These people collect disability and work under the table construction work, things like that. We've all seen them, we all HATE them.

But are they 60%? I don't think that number is even close, I think its way smaller. There are welfare reforms we could do to minimize that number either way. Programs with a lot of oversight and support are blessings to those truly in need but nightmares for parasites, who benefit by being handed a check and ignored. But in the end, I don't think the savings would be that much. I think its expensive to take care of seniors, but none of us are willing to do anything but take care of them, (we all know that we'll be there some day too) So it goes on.
edit on 28-5-2013 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. ^-^
I can kinda see what you're saying, but if the government is gonna go through all that trouble, shouldn't the person get paid for thier work just like everyone else? If I spend eight hours walking people across the street, or mowing yards, or whatever; shouldn't I be paid for my work just like everyone else? That's my point.

I'm a firm believe in feed the hungry. Nobody should starve. Where foodstamps are concerned, when people don't abuse it, it's a good system. It could be made ALOT better, but ANY system can, and most likely will be, abused. I get $200 a month to feed myself. I've learned to make it last. I know that someone put effort into growing the food we eat, and making it, and packaging, and all that.....but should we have to BUY something we NEED to survive? I don't think so; personally.

But you ARE getting paid. You said you get $200 a month for food. That's getting paid. Others not only get foodstamps, but other welfare benefits as well. $12-15-1800 a month. More than some people that work regular fulltime jobs.

They ARE getting paid. Time they did something for that paycheck.

And as has been said. If they have to work, for what may only amount to minimum wage, maybe they'll decide it's time to get real, and find something on their own for much more.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
As many have said - I think we're already in some form of 'dog eat dog' world...only the size of the dog and how much gets eaten at any given time seems to change.

As for am I ready?

Yes and No.

No in that I certainly don't look forward to or in any way relish any world that is purely selfish and self-first...just not my scene...would prefer to show compassion where possible to whomever possible whenever possible.
Just how I'm wired.

That said, many may view that as making me an easy mark. Perhaps. Perhaps not.

I can say that I grew up in environments teeming with violence, drugs, abuse and social injustice...I'm no stranger to being poor, hungry and homeless.
I'm no stranger to being put in positions where there has been no option to back down lest you get smacked down...or worse.

Unfortunately I am not unfamiliar with responding with violent action when faced with same.
Nothing I'm in any way proud of...but additionally its nothing I honestly regret...it was simply how you lived.

Thankfully those days and ways have changed...I've changed...and so change happens.

As for preparedness:
- I have pretty exceptional street-nouse. Can pretty much cope with most anything.
- I'm pretty centred as a person, calm, focused, hard to shake.
- I do have a collection of weaponary most people don't - as I hold a restricted firearms licence and am an active member of the local Service Rifle Club. So in that regard, in comparison to most in my country, I'm extremely well armed. Not in any way meaning to come off like some bravado Rambo-type, but I'm also no slouch when it comes to unarmed combat as well.
- I have very keen survival skills, bushcraft skills, lots of various handy skills like electrical, building, plumbing, motor mechanics, farming/cultivation/propogation skills
- I'm extremely familiar with my country's wider environments, its waterways, its forests...most of them I have spent time tramping and hunting through over the decades.
- I'm in reasonably good physical health, strength and so forth
- I am a trained medical professional, so have pretty good medical knowledge and skillsets there too.

So...while I'd say, within reason, I may be a bit more prepared than most...for whatever I'm supposedly prepared for its likely something I'd not wish to ever see happen.

edit on 28-5-2013 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Oh boy, here we go with the moral squad again.

The world is dog eat dog, has always been that way and always shall be that way. I know people go on the internet, donate a little bit of money / food / clothes to a shelter.......but really we are just a hairs length from being F THE OTHER GUY. Take away some of our perks of being in a first world society and we would degrade to dog eat dog within a few days.

So I am ready for it? I don't think anyone is "truly ready" but I am prepared as best as I can. I know I am more prepared then most, and when push comes to shove, I am more then ready to make the decisions that a lot would have a hard time making.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by Philippines
reply to post by burdman30ott6

If you're tired of all the BS, then walk away from it.. or fly... or whatever. Why volunteer to the rat race, if you have a choice?

This may be the most short sighted comment in the entire thread... You're saying that if I'm tired of seeing ever increasing portions of my earnings being taken from my paycheck to be redistributed to an ever growing swath of society which sits on their ass and mooches off our earnings, I should just stop working and making money?
It suddenly becomes more and more clear how we found ourselves in this situation to begin with. When did pride become a foreign concept to America? :shk:

Short sighted? Lol, I think people who volunteer to pay money to an organization, say the IRS, and don't even know how the money is used -- and then complain about -- is shortsighted.

People who hide behind pride as an excuse are also short sighted in my opinion. When did pride become an excuse to pay taxes? Or do people just depend on fear to pay taxes nowadays more than pride?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca

I sense a certain attitude in many posts here at ATS. It's an attitude that shows no sympathy for those viewed as lesser than yourselves.

You are all hypocrites!

Yes that's right every on here believes they are the Acient Greek Physician; Hippocrates

based on the modern day search for the term renders the definition as actor, phony, faker.

(1) early 13c., from O.Fr. ypocrite (Mod.Fr. hypocrite), from Church L. hypocrita, from Gk. hypokrites "stage actor, pretender, dissembler," from hypokrinesthai

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I was thinking on the same note when I posted in that thread yesterday on homeless people. Where has the compassion gone? I personally believe that our capitalist economic system is one of the leading causes for this changed mindset of US citizens. I say changed mindset because people had a lot more compassion, and generally cared more about everything, many decades ago. It has only been recently, in the last few decades or so, that people have begun to have this personal isolationist doctrine they follow. Like you say, a lot of it has to do with people thinking that other types of people are less than themselves. They are not "human" beings in the sense that these people view themselves, if that makes sense.

Capitalism has caused this, I am quite certain, and it is just another downside to this type of system. And the truth is that with a doctrine like capitalism, things just keep getting worse as time goes on. This is why we have been seeing a transfer of most of the wealth to a small number of people. It will keep getting worse. Something needs to change.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I'm just a dumb*ss truck driver, but. You say the last few decades or so. Could you be more specific as to the time period?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I sense a certain attitude in many posts here at ATS. It's an attitude that shows no sympathy for those viewed as lesser than yourselves.

Many feel that the homeless, welfare, drug addicts, and other bottom of the barrel people are getting what they deserve and shouldn't be a drain on the rest of society.

What you are preaching and asking for is a dog eat dog world. A devolution from our civilized society. You wish to return to when everyone cared for just their immediate family and damn everyone else.

Why do so many wish to return to such a time?

I ask are all of you (who will probably be too shame to post in this thread) REALLY built for such a society? I don't think so, you actually want a society that's half civilized and half savage. Especially when it comes to yourselves.

How many of you are young, strong and trained to survive in such a savage society? I'd wager that there is a percentage who spew they want such a society but they would be among the first to expire should we return to such savagery!

Many of you speaking of all this heartlessness are out of shape and may even have disabilities. You would be among the FIRST to expire. You should want this society to be as civilized as possible. You are all hypocrites!

Wow, I agree with this completely. I'm not sure anyone else will. Even liberals think that they are better than everyone else. I think we are headed for what you described, and yes, the people who are calling for it the most will probably die first. On every side.

Aside from that though, your post doesn't seem to take a particular political stance, it is simply pointing out something, actually something that can be applied all over the place.
edit on 28-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join