It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non GMO foods for cats

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by redNyx

Thanks...Sadly I'm unable to locate this product in Vancouver Canada but have contacted a local store that was over the top hearing about it and are looking at sourcing it from the US

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Make your own pet food!

I used to work for a petfood supplier, and I can tell you that whether you buy the cheap stuff or the expensive stuff your feeding your pets GARBAGE!!!

To give you an example.
All the out of date sandwiches etc from service stations are taken to a processing plant that grinds the food and its packaging into a mush, its then dried and ground again. Chemicals are then added to ensure a longer life.
Squeeze this crap into pellets and then sell it on to other pet food manufacturers.
That was one of the better quality brands we supplied.

I once asked a rep who was visiting our company what the difference was between his most expensive and his cheapest product, I pointed out that both products claimed to be a complete and healthy food. He said the difference was the ratio of fur/bone content.

If you want your pet to live a long and healthy life, make it food yourself, and avoid the vaccines. If not vaccinating bothers you then next time you have your pet vaccinated demand that the vet show you the packaging because MOST pet vaccines are designed to protect (LOL) for five years. Vaccinating yearly is purely for profit!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I have a cat who is very picky!! She is a doll faced Persian and she is on Fromm. It is a higher end cat food and you can't buy it at Pet Stores, they do not sell to chain stores. They have been around since 1904 and have a few different holistic formulas in wet and dry. I feed my cat dry food only, wet food is a treat for her. I don't like how it gives them bad breath or loose stools. Her coat is SO soft and everyone always makes comments about how soft she is. When we got her it was dull but over time with this food you could see how shiny and soft it became. She is only fed the serving size recommended, nothing more. Many people tend to overfeed their pets!

Anything in the grocery stores and even many chain stores is crap and like junk food. They do some crazy stuff like spray blood on the food to make it more enticing to the animals. It's like feeding them McDonald's every day. I know I had to feed my cat a bag of Meow Mix a while back til her food came in. She devoured it in half a day. It was like she was eating a fat juicy burger and couldn't get enough. It also gave her loose stools and bad breath and that was only 2 days! We order her Fromm online via Amazon. I use to get it at the grooming shop I worked at but now I am no longer there so we order it. There was one other grooming shop that carried it but it was 30mins away!

I met the reps for the company and they are very selective with who they allow to sell their product. It is a little pricy but it is good food. I also make Buffy food as a treat, she gets chicken which is her favorite. I mix it with a little evoo, good for her coat, and that is it! She won't eat anything else with it. I tried veggies and she eats around them. lol She is picky!!

Here is their website Fromm

My dog is also on a special diet due to his crazy allergies to everything but mostly chicken. He can't have ANY chicken, not even chicken bi product. He likes to get into the cats food and that makes him itch because she is on a chicken diet! We have since moved it to a table but the other day he actually got to it! I think he was acting out lol we were shocked he got to it because he would have had to get on the chair then the table!! He is on a grain free holistic formula as well but i make his food a lot too. I get the cheap cuts of lamb like the lamb neck or shoulder. I mix it with zucchini, squash and his favorite green beans! He goes nuts when I make this for him. I try to make him this 3 times a week and the others he gets dry. He comes running to the kitchen when I am cooking and will sit infront of the stove. He even runs in when the timer goes off lol It is too funny!!

People always tease me for what I feed my animals but they are my furry kids and they get the best!!
edit on 5/28/2013 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/28/2013 by mblahnikluver because: hit enter instead of preview

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I jut love the opening image on that site
Speaks volumes
Thanks for the link

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by minkmouse
Speaks volumes
Thanks for the link

If you are talking to me you are welcome. hehe

Yea when I worked at the grooming shop they brought us posters of various dogs like that. They were pretty cute and ones I'd actual hang up in my house by the dogs food area lol

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

bummed to hear that
Their website says they sell in Canada.

I hope they can source it somehow for you

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by minkmouse

Aha!! I found your source: Canadian Pet Connection online store

C$30.99 for a 6 lb

They also make a non-corn, non-soy, non-wheat variety that is also non-organic. But it's half as much at C$14.99 and it's the one I buy. Just the fact that the corn, soy and wheat (major contenders in the GMO market) is absent makes all the difference I think.

Hope this helps!

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by redNyx

I just wonder if the meat products involved are GMO free? A six pound bag is out there pricewise but I spend way more on consumerism stupidity and I took these cats on and they've become family so...They're gonna cost a bit
I'll bet though that it would be cheaper than the sad vet bills I'll get down the pike cos they dined at Friskie Palace.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by minkmouse
Speaks volumes
Thanks for the link

If you are talking to me you are welcome. hehe

Yea when I worked at the grooming shop they brought us posters of various dogs like that. They were pretty cute and ones I'd actual hang up in my house by the dogs food area lol

Yep, check...I was talking to you and thanks again

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I am about to put my Damone on a Meth diet
He is HUGE,over 25 lbs at this point,but in all fairness,he is a very big boned kitty.

As some of you may have read about me losing my other kitty Millicent for about 2 1/2 weeks,she lost alot of weight (can she steal some of Damones?) so I have been giving her canned tuna every other day.(today she got Mackerel)Im trying to put that meat back on her bones.

That being said,my kitties are extremely picky eaters,they will only eat 'Kit N Kaboodle' as far as dry food is concerned.Sadly I dont really have the resources to buy them expensive food (for one,Damone is a piglet) and frankly I am poor.

I would say more,but I feel I will curse them if I do

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
As an update, both cats have willingly gone organic...Well, 50 % as I'm mixing the good stuff with the old Friskies about half and half. They also now have a few test cans of organic wet food. First can didn't draw a crowd but I got em mixed and will record favorites. It's a start and I'm good with that. Now the task is all research, and I thank you all for your suggestions and links. Fairly heavy response suggesting home made food and I'm building that concept into my long range plan

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bootyac
I am about to put my Damone on a Meth diet
He is HUGE,over 25 lbs at this point,but in all fairness,he is a very big boned kitty.

As some of you may have read about me losing my other kitty Millicent for about 2 1/2 weeks,she lost alot of weight (can she steal some of Damones?) so I have been giving her canned tuna every other day.(today she got Mackerel)Im trying to put that meat back on her bones.

That being said,my kitties are extremely picky eaters,they will only eat 'Kit N Kaboodle' as far as dry food is concerned.Sadly I dont really have the resources to buy them expensive food (for one,Damone is a piglet) and frankly I am poor.

I would say more,but I feel I will curse them if I do

See...Therein lies the malfunction! I'm good at the moment, coin isn't an issue so I can up the cat food budget and hardly feel it but stuff changes! If everything was ever to work properly, when my budget takes a dive, I should be able to count on the cheaper version as at least being able to support life without weekly vet visits due to gibberish health problems created by bad decisions made using greed as the chief operating factor. Low cost foods could perhaps contain less nutritional value, I can run with that but the inclusion of cheap but harmful ingredients to help drive profit eludes me

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
You must read labels . All corn and soy ,is GMO now. So soy and corn meal fillers are a no no .
A lot of rice is now gmo too ,and wheat is not even wheat anymore . Sad but true .

There are recipes on line for dry food ,but it they contain soy ,wheat or corn ,substitute is all I can say .

The brand Merrick is the one I buy when I have some extra cash . It's completely grain free ,both wet and dry .
I usually do half canned food,half raw.

I have a good dry food recipe,that I of course,cannot find now.
I will keep looking for you .

www.thetruthdenied.com...

drjudyholisticvet.com...

Here's some links you should read .
edit on 05/28/2013 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The truth is, your cats are better off with wet food. My vet sited a study, a longitudinal study done over many years. Cats fed wet food only, did better on every measure. I know it's more expensive, but it really is best. You can give them dry food too, but don't use it exclusively.

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Mine get a mix of both. My Mothers cat had to be put down as the bone and cartilage in his face went to mush. The vet at that time said it was due to teeth problems attributed to a wet food only diet. Dry food, she said, would have prevented the issue as it helps keep a cats teeth clean and healthy. Bugs was one amazing cat, a big old Maine Coon who was put down prematurely because he could no longer eat,

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
My cat was in a bad way. Took her to the Vet for test. He put her on: Hill's Y/D Diet

A new safe and effective way to manage this common disease in cats.

It worked. She's made a complete turn around.

That's all I feed her dry and soft. link: vetmedicine.about.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join