It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question re: homosexuality

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Blahable

Right "double daddies" wont have any outcome on that kid.... sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I get the feeling you have never met a family with two homosexual parents. I get the feeling you picture their homes kind of like a '60's swinger's club.

You ought to step out into the world a bit.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

While I believe they should certainly have the same rights, it is abnormal behavior. Do I need to explain the birds & bees or human anatomy to you?

I'd love to see you try

:-)

go on - I'll wait right here...

To compare the persecution of blacks in this country to the wimpy struggle gay rights advocates have gone through is disgusting, selfish and not even remotely on the same level. You’ve been very reasonable throughout this thread…I’m surprised you of all people would defend this.

You're not really surprised that I - of all people - would defend this. Sorry - this is exactly the sort of thing I would defend - that I will always defend

You think the two can't be compared. That - my friend - is commendable in one way. It shows me what you're made of. What you're not realizing (for whatever reason) is that throughout history homosexuals have been ostracized, persecuted - tortured - killed

Homosexuality is natural - and so many of us have seen the truth for what it is - it's self evident. We are born how we are born - this isn't about morals or sin

But, not according to your book. Your book and your faith is what leads you to make your decisions

As I type those words I know - you can't agree with me. This is where we are I'm afraid

But hey - seabag - thank you for replying. It's about damn time :-)

And thank you for seeing me as being reasonable - I do try

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KyrieEleison
reply to post by SQUEALER

The "equal treatment" is for citizens of a free society to use their bodies as they see fit.

You're really grasping at straws now.

Only a few decades ago you'd say the same thing "You're really grasping at straws now" if anybody suggested that gays would be "marrying" in the future. Gee, gays were just fighting for the right not to be arrested. All they wanted was to be free.

Now they want more things. No longer want to be free. They want to be bound in union by law, and they want to change the concept of marriage, so that word can be used by them, so they can get all the benefits straight couples get. Who would have thought it would get this far? Nobody. It was inconceivable. How could two men get married? Ridiculous.

Guess what? It happened in parts of the world. The law even forces Churches to marry gays in Denmark. Yet, many don't know this. I see comments right in this thread, saying they'll never force Churches to marry gays. Already happened. People are clueless, about where all this is heading.

edit on 30-5-2013 by SQUEALER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

But still nobody has said how gay marriage would affect them directly. What difference would gays being married make to your marriage or the marriage of anyone else? This is where I don't get the objection. If two people wish to be legally joined together as as family, why shouldn't they say they are married and why shouldn't they qualify for the same rights as other couples?

The only objections I can see are borne of narrow minded bigotry.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Well, being slow on the uptake does not a valid excuse make. It's not as if they are asking for reparations or anything...

And I'm not sure how the laws work in Denmark - don't live there, can't comment ... but I do know how they work here, and if the government tried to force that kind of thing on churches I can't even fathom the amount of backlash that would have both from the religious and the secular.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It's simply a First Amendment issue, nothing more, nothing less.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Either a marriage license is a respecting an establishment of religion, i.e. A holy covenant, and all legal marriages and the legal priviledges associated with them are simply unconstitutional...

..or they are a civil contract without any association to any religion.

This is the line in the sand.

Is you marriage license unconstitutional, or is it not a religious document, and as such, not subject to your religious views?

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KyrieEleison

If they do not like it make em pay tax.....

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Who would have thought it would get this far? Nobody. It was inconceivable.

the best-laid plans of mice and men oft go astray

:-)

Guess what? It happened in parts of the world. The law even forces Churches to marry gays in Denmark. Yet, many don't know this. I see comments right in this thread, saying they'll never force Churches to marry gays. Already happened. People are clueless, about where all this is heading.

Does it surprise you that there are gay people that are religious, that go to church - and would want to be married - in their church?

To be fair - I've always said I didn't think it was right to force a church to marry gays if it goes against their personal beliefs. The church is not a government (thank goodness) But, this isn't because I wouldn't wish that they would - and it's looking like more and more churches are changing their views. So, I do understand this:

Homosexual couples in Denmark have won the right to get married in any church they choose, even though nearly one third of the country's priests have said they will refuse to carry out the ceremonies.

The article states that only one third of the priests are against it. So interesting

But - the U.S. is not Denmark - not even close. I think it will be difficult to pull off here - but not impossible

I'm curious - what do you think of priests and congregations that are happy to have gay members - and perform marriage ceremonies?
edit on 5/30/2013 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
So what if some Gay laws were adopted that didn't allow straight people 'Rights' or 'Privileges' how would you act upon it?

as much power as you want to restrict us from, you are giving us the power of demoralizing the world, i should feel flattered

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Right "double daddies" wont have any outcome on that kid.... sureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I get the feeling you have never met a family with two homosexual parents.

I would never want to.
I feel bad for that kid.
edit on 30-5-2013 by Blahable because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blahable

I would never want to.
I feel bad for that kid.

This is what we call 'willful ignorance'.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

My uncle and his fella have adopted 2 kids who came from really bad homes and they are both doing amazing, they have loads of support at home and the older one is a young lad of 12 and he loves having 2 dads, My Uncle is the more masculine person so he is the Dad and his partner acts more like a mother.
I was very sceptical that they should adopt kids with their background (meaning the kids btw) but they have done an amazing job, my little niece is a Justin beiber fan (only 7) and loves boys and nephew is a red blooded male who loves boobs.
Both are excelling at school and both are growing up to be decent people.
So please do not spout crap about something you will never understand because of your outdated idiotic views.
edit on 30-5-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I would never want to.
I feel bad for that kid.

i feel bad for your ignorance likewise, hell i even feel bad for your children

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I would never want to.
I feel bad for that kid.
So, in other words, all of your words on the subject are moot and irrelevant, as you make no attempt to learn about the topic.

Deny ignorance, friend

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

It cannot affect anything? You haven't thought very deeply, have you?

It MIGHT be able to affect other things.

We don't know for a fact that a man and a man can bring up a child equally well versus a man and a woman bringing up the same child. Evolution, for example, may not be prepared. Keep in mind that evolution has been going on for... at least 1 billion years. Humans broke off from a common ancestor with the chimpanzee about 8 million years ago, I believe. During that time, do you think evolution had a chance to test homosexual parents adopting children? If evolution did not have the opportunity to test it to make sure it works, what makes you think that it cannot have a broader impact on things? If homosexual parents turn out to be worse (or divergent) parents then this could have wide ranging impacts on things outside themselves. None of this is empirical, but it might be possible.

Freedom is a responsibility, not just a condition. All of the freedoms we enjoy now were developed for millions and possibly more than a billion years. They were not free.

Our behaviors CAN impact others. Society is like a web and if 1 person or more act persistently they can make waves and those waves can change society.

I have a close gay friend, so don't start judging.
edit on 30-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

It cannot affect anything? You haven't thought very deeply, have you?

Ive thought quite a bit about it, actually. Marriage is not a tangible thing. It CANNOT affect another person's marriage. It does not have the ability to do so.

It MIGHT be able to affect other things. Might is not certainty.
Explain. Give me one example where the intangible known as marriage can affect something else.

We don't know for a fact that a man and a man can bring up a child equally well versus a man and a woman bringing up the same child.
The many, many healthy, happy children that have been raised by gay parents would surely disagree. Its funny, a lot of you act like it is some hypothetical. Problem is, there are plenty of examples already out there.

Evolution, for example, may not be prepared.
Evolution is another intangible. Evolution can neither be prepared or unprepared.

. Keep in mind that evolution has been going on for... at least 1 billion years.
yup. And in all that time, gay couples have not changed a thing.

Humans broke off from a common ancestor with the chimpanzee about 8 million years ago, I believe. During that time, do you think evolution had a chance to test homosexual parents adopting children?
Evolution doesnt stand around with a clipboard testing things.

The argument that evolution is plenty able to deal with homosexuality is the fact that homosexuals have existed for as long as humans have kept record. If it was a huge issue in nature, do you not think something would have given by now?

? If evolution did not have the opportunity to test it to make sure it works
This is nonsensical.

what makes you think that it cannot have any affect a broader impact on things
because it hasnt. They are still here, we are still here.

If homosexual parents turn out to be worse parents then this could have wide ranging impacts on things outside themselves.
There are TONS of examples out there that prove a homosexual couple is just as capable, and in many cases, more capable than hetero couples to raise a child in a loving, caring home.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

How many years do you think there were 1-father/1-mother/children families? This happens almost never in nature. I submit that it's only been that way for humans maybe a few thousand years...a blip in human evolution. Before then who knows, but I bet many pre-recorded history kids were raised by mom only.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I'm not a homophobe, but I leave the door open to potential broader impacts. I think reality is far too complex to shrug it off. We're not God. We can't be certain about these things.

Apparently, you're certain. I think that's foolish.

I won't stop gay couples from bringing up kids. I just don't like to lock my mind up in a closet about things. I want to be able to entertain maybe or could have or what if or other such things.

You may not like that, but that's ok. We're different, so what.
edit on 30-5-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

I'm not a homophobe, but I leave hte door open to potential broader impacts.

Apparently, you don't.
If you can show me evidence of any, then ill gladly consider it. You cannot sit and use evolution as a backing, though, when the theory of evolution supports the fact that homosexuality does not have a negative impact.

Theyve been around forever. Their still here.

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join