It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question re: homosexuality

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter

Who cares if gay people want to get married. It has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. Number 1-5 does.

It cost you more. Your tax dollars must go to gay couples, just like the tax dollars go to straight couples today. More taxes need to be raised. More money out of your pocket.

Your insurance costs go up. Gay couples are entitled to the same insurance as straight couples, but they live a riskier lifestyle, so the insurance industry must raise the premiums for all to cover the extra risk.

You cannot give something to someone, without taking something away from someone else.

It hits your pocketbook.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MichaelPMaccabee

Not a single sovereign person left on this planet, or at least the feeling i get reading such BS.

It's all based on a fairy tale, turning this world upside down.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SQUEALER

Who cares if gay people want to get married. It has absolutely no effect on me whatsoever. Number 1-5 does.

It cost you more. Your tax dollars must go to gay couples, just like the tax dollars go to straight couples today. More taxes need to be raised. More money out of your pocket.

Your insurance costs go up. Gay couples are entitled to the same insurance as straight couples, but they live a riskier lifestyle, so the insurance industry must raise the premiums for all to cover the extra risk.

You cannot give something to someone, without taking something away from someone else.

It hits your pocketbook.

Of course you can, lets say you have a food forest in your back yard, at the end of harvest there is a surplus of valuable goods, that can be given to charity or other's without taking anything away from someone else, or is there just one way to live on this planet?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

It hits your pocketbook.

By this line of thinking, all marriage benefits should go away completely.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

It hits your pocketbook.

OK you have a good point there actually, I did not think of the insurance etc. At this time I can not afford to give the government any more money thus I do not support gay marriage. I do not support any marriage wherby one part of society has to pay another part of society for no good or service.

Marriage should not be tied to a tax in any way. The only think making sense is that if you have a kid you get a little tax deduction--I agree with that.

edit on 28-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by XaniMatriX

Of course you can, lets say you have a food forest in your back yard, at the end of harvest there is a surplus of valuable goods, that can be given to charity or other's without taking anything away from someone else, or is there just one way to live on this planet?

You have a very good idea. If only we lived like that. Of course, that back yard must be yours. No one else is allowed to pick the crops. You have to give it to them. They can't just come in and take it. Whatever piece of land you have, someone else must be denied the right to grow their food there. So, if you didn't give them food, they might be forced to rob and steal, to eat.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Not a single sovereign person left on this planet, or at least the feeling i get reading such BS.

What is the fairy tale, eh?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee

What is the fairy tale, eh?

The Bible, it is a folk lore that has been turned into historic fact.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by kaylaluv

I assume you support stoning disobedient children as well?

This is a silly, ignorant statement.

You should probably brush up on Christian theology; the Law has been fulfilled in Christ and he has thus become the Law for us. The Law which was given to Moses has absolutely no bearing on Christians.

So, when Jesus died on the cross, it fulfilled God's wishes that all those children be stoned. So now we don't have to do that. How comforting.

Warning: I'm a former Pastor with a D. Div. (honorary). Don't think you're going to word-wrangle me on the Bible.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
As far as am concerned, I don't give a damn if two men or two women or even if two 'boys who want to be girls' get 'married' in church or otherwise. It does not effect me directly and one can only wish them all the happiness and health in the world.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

OK you have a good point there actually, I did not think of the insurance etc. At this time I can not afford to give the government any more money thus I do not support gay marriage. I do not support any marriage wherby one part of society has to pay another part of society for no good or service.

Marriage should not be tied to a tax in any way. The only think making sense is that if you have a kid you get a little tax deduction--I agree with that.

edit on 28-5-2013 by LastStarfighter because: (no reason given)

Well remember, marriage used to be considered a good thing.

Married people typically got children, and raised those children to become productive members of the society. And all of the time and effort parents put in to creating the future labor force, sacrificing for their kids, was considered desirable and beneficial to the society as a whole. So, many types of rewards were introduced, to benefit married couples, to encourage them to continue their sacrifices, and that's why there are all these special considerations for married couples.

Single people never got these benefits. But, single people paid the taxes, that went to benefit the married folk.

However, society thought this was just, because single people weren't sacrificing, they had more free time, less responsibilities, less obligations, etc..so it wasn't considered unfair to tax them and pay the married couple.

Now the gay couples look at the married folk with envy, and they see all of the benefits, and they want those benefits too. They don't care how the married couples earned their beneficial status. They will point out that "some" married couples don't have kids, and get the benefits anyway, etc..to justify their claim to those benefits too.

Why didn't the single people think of this? Why didn't the single people, long ago, complain that some married people don't have kids, but still get the benefits, and demand their civil rights, to share in the good fortune of the married couples?

Why aren't the single people as envious as the gays?

What is it about homosexuality, that makes those people more envious of what others have, than the ordinary straight people in the society?

The single people accepted the "inequality" long ago, and are still not fighting for their rights to equal treatment.

How can we understand this paradox?

edit on 28-5-2013 by SQUEALER because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by kaylaluv

I assume you support stoning disobedient children as well?

This is a silly, ignorant statement.

You should probably brush up on Christian theology; the Law has been fulfilled in Christ and he has thus become the Law for us. The Law which was given to Moses has absolutely no bearing on Christians.

And Christ said nothing about homosexuality being an abomination, so that law has no bearing on Christians either.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by ANOK

It's a civil agreement, a legal contract between two people, and doesn't need a ceremony at all. The marriage ceremony is just tradition.

You just made my case!

Marriage is a religious ceremony. Call it something else and move on. Nobody cares where you sleep, what side of the bed you wake up on, what color your sheets are, etc.

Really….We don’t!

Whatever you want to call it is fine…..but it isn’t marriage!

So would you call a straight couple that only got married in court a civil union because they didn't do the traditional marriage ceremony?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

This is the most ridiculous assertion I have ever heard.

What about animals that exhibit homosexual behavior? Did they somehow rebel against god and are now being punished in such a way? By that rationale all serpents would be homosexual and they would have extinguished themselves due to a lack of breeding around the time of Eden.

Here is a study with cited sources, and please don't respond with some sort of knee-jerk attack in an attempt to discredit the source as that is very transparent - attack the ideas and the cited sources on their own merits.

There are also aberrant behaviors (including homosexuality) that occur in animals that live in stressed environments, such as captivity.

Are we humans so much better than the animals that things like this (not just homosexuality) don't ever occur? I'd say that a large portion of humanity is living in a highly stressed condition, though there seems to be a select bastilled few who are not and perhaps that is a huge part of the problem.

If you have something tangible to back up what you're saying then I am all ears but superstitious nonsense just isn't going to fly when it comes to denying people their rights in an (alleged) free society.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
[Nothing is scary about it.

Marriage is a religious ceremony. ally.

Only if you're religious

I got "married" in a registry office no blessing from an invisble man that lives in the sky required thank you very much.
Someday I may choose to marry another person that person may be of the same gender, if so just like the first marriage it does not effect anyone else and only a bigot would find cause for complaint.

I have been saying it for a very long time, that in my opinion gay marriage will be the final nail in the coffin of an already imploding xtianity and good ridance too.
If the xtian god doesn't like it, then let him get his indolent invisible butt down here to speak for himself.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Homosexuality IS normal. Like left-handedness is normal. Homosexuality is not the majority, but it's quite normal, in any population, that a small percentage of the people are gay. It's traditional. It's the truth. Accepting the truth (that homosexuality is normal) is not harmful. If it's frowned on by your religion, then don't be involved with it. You don't have to accept it. But it is the truth. People are gay. Gay people are citizens. They deserve the same rights under the laws of the land as ALL other citizens. I bet prostitution isn't "normal" and threatens traditional values, according to your belief system. But prostitutes can marry. Do you "accept" prostitution? No. See? You don't have to accept homosexuality, either. I bet atheism isn't "normal" and threatens traditional values, according to your belief system. But atheists can marry. Do you "accept" atheism? No. See? You don't have to accept homosexuality, either.

Perhaps you missed my earlier posts. I did not say homosexuality is not normal. The original OP asked a question why did people object to homosexual marriage. My answer was to that question, and was not my opinion, but that of fundamentalists. My answer was an opinion of an opinion. I personally don't care who loves who or how. If we don't want to speak of love, then I don't care what two consenting adults do together sexually. It is none of my business.
edit on 28-5-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
HUH you people are still arguing on behalf of a fairy tale.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ewok_Boba

Originally posted by Iamschist
imho Nothing. Comments I have heard indicate it has something to do with what some feel is an attack on the institution of marriage as set forth in the Bible. Personally I can't see how, but these are the same people that get upset about women doing radical things like wearing pants, working outside the home, etc...

What's the divorce rate in the States these days?

There are bigger threats to the "institution of marriage" than something as trivial as sexual orientation.

You are preaching to the choir. It is not my opinion that homosexual marriage is a threat to marriage. I was answering the original OP question. Why do people object to homosexual marriage. I have no objection to homosexual marriage.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyrieEleison
reply to post by deadeyedick

This is the most ridiculous assertion I have ever heard.

What about animals that exhibit homosexual behavior? Did they somehow rebel against god and are now being punished in such a way? By that rationale all serpents would be homosexual and they would have extinguished themselves due to a lack of breeding around the time of Eden.

Here is a study with cited sources, and please don't respond with some sort of knee-jerk attack in an attempt to discredit the source as that is very transparent - attack the ideas and the cited sources on their own merits.

There are also aberrant behaviors (including homosexuality) that occur in animals that live in stressed environments, such as captivity.

Are we humans so much better than the animals that things like this (not just homosexuality) don't ever occur? I'd say that a large portion of humanity is living in a highly stressed condition, though there seems to be a select bastilled few who are not and perhaps that is a huge part of the problem.

If you have something tangible to back up what you're saying then I am all ears but superstitious nonsense just isn't going to fly when it comes to denying people their rights in an (alleged) free society.

It is not the only form of punishment. Animals are just different types of vessels and their spirit is the same as our own in most ways.

There is not much you or i can do about the ways of GOD. One thing i know is that when his system is undone to a point that it no longer benefits the spirit he will remove the flesh. It has always happened this way and we are at the point of interjection from GOD. Jesus will come and those that do not journey to him will be left behind. This will be the ones that are contrite at heart with his father.(the unbowable)
edit on 28-5-2013 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
My question is, when to guys get divorced, who gets shafted with the alimony payments? It's a divorce lawyer's nightmare.

That would be whoever didn't get custody of the adopted children, or whoever makes the least money gets the alimony. Or maybe they will be nice to each other and split it all down the middle equally. After all, we live in a world of social and economic equality given to us by the State now.
Which one will get custody? Again maybe they will spilt down the middle.
Of course the whole thing might be decided by a prenup.
You know the real reason for alimony is that in more traditional marriages, the woman would have stayed home and not worked, she would have taken care of the kids, while the man developed his career, thus the woman through her devotion to her home gave up the career side of things. If a man decided to divorce his wife, then she would have something to fall back on, that is alimony from the husband.
This scenario is probably quite a bit less these days. Now, women can have children out of wedlock and get money from the State.
edit on 28-5-2013 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join