It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple question re: homosexuality

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Very simple question here. It is simple logic that gay marriage cannot and will not effect any person outside of that particular relationship. It cannot effect my marriage. It cannot effect yours.

With that in mind, I have to ask:

What is so scary about gay marriage? Fear is literally the only reason that people are against it (whether it be religious fear, social fear, etc). There is no other logical reason.

So, again, I ask: What is so scary about gay marriage?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
imho Nothing. Comments I have heard indicate it has something to do with what some feel is an attack on the institution of marriage as set forth in the Bible. Personally I can't see how, but these are the same people that get upset about women doing radical things like wearing pants, working outside the home, etc...

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
imho Nothing. Comments I have heard indicate it has something to do with what some feel is an attack on the institution of marriage as set forth in the Bible. Personally I can't see how, but these are the same people that get upset about women doing radical things like wearing pants, working outside the home, etc...
So its religious fear. They are afraid of going against what their bible says.

Pretty much what I figured. But it still doesnt really explain what is so scary about it...how it attacks the religious sanctity of marriage, etc.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

What is so scary about gay marriage? Fear is literally the only reason that people are against it (whether it be religious fear, social fear, etc). There is no other logical reason.

So, again, I ask: What is so scary about gay marriage?

Nothing is scary about it.

Marriage is a religious ceremony. Those who oppose gay marriage seek to preserve the sanctity of Holy Matrimony. Many same-sex couples are simply interested in the government's acknowledgement of their relationship. They are not asking for any religion to accept gay marriages.

SO…….Call it something else (civil union) and collect your benefits. Nobody gives a crap, really.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Marriage is a religious ceremony. Those who oppose gay marriage seek to preserve the sanctity of Holy Matrimony. Many same-sex couples are simply interested in the government's acknowledgement of their relationship. They are not asking for any religion to accept gay marriages.
Problem is, that is completely illogical. It is not a religious institution. Marriages have been taking place all the way back to the beginning of recorded history. That religion included it does not make it a wholly holy (
) deal.

On top of that, the minute that government benefits were given for marriage, it took it completely out of the religious sector.

SO…….Call it something else (civil union) and collect your benefits. Nobody gives a crap, really.
Nobody outside of the religious groups cares either way if its called marriage. THEY are the ones that make a big deal out of it.

It is absolutely religious FEAR, and is, as of yet, unexplained.
edit on 27-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-5-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
People are so scared about gay marriage because it's different, and certainly Christians celebrate marriage between a man and a woman as being sacrosanct.

Christians and the Far Right have been brainwashed by their Churches and the right wing media into fearing anything that's not the same as them, and gays and religious minorities such as Muslims are top of the list.

Eventually, if the TEA Party continues to move further to the right, they'll end up as the National Front party. If you're not a Straight, White, Christian American, you won't be welcome in the USA.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The confusion and conflict that could arise from inheritance laws springs to mind, part of the fuel for the French protests at the moment.

The whole gay marriage thing also throws up a moral dilemma for everyone who considers the subject, so it involves civilization changing factors that cannot be ignored and left only to those involved.

There is a lot of legal stuff to work out here regarding laws, rights, definitions, allowances etc. It's not as simple as it seems me thinks and who foots the bill for all this new paperwork every time a country votes on a law regarding gay marriage?

Then there's adoption by gay couples to consider...another facet with deep consideration needed.

It affects just about everyone. To pretend it doesn't shows apathy and ignorance.

I'll leave my own moral opinions for later if this thread heats up.

cheers

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

No it's not.

It's a civil agreement, a legal contract between two people, and doesn't need a ceremony at all. The marriage ceremony is just tradition.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I would say that a lot of people who are anti gay marriage or anti gay, are in fact themselves gay or have some secret gay tendencies. Whether they know it or not or if they accept it or deny it, is a whole different subject.

Good question, and good luck when the god squad arrive.

edit on 27/5/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/5/13 by OpenEars123 because: My fingers aren't smart phone friendly

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Well, there is always the chance that a straight person might catch "gay" from the gays.

Allowing gays to marry will cause;
the zombie apocalypse,
world hunger,
stuff that happened in the movie 2012,
stuff that happened in the movie The Day After Tomorrow,
stuff that happened in the movie The Birdcage,

etc.

Seriously, people who are more concerned what goes on in others bedrooms are seriously lacking in hobbies.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

The confusion and conflict that could arise from inheritance laws springs to mind, part of the fuel for the French protests at the moment. The whole gay marriage thing also throws up a moral dilemma for everyone who considers the subject, so it involves civilization changing factors that cannot be ignored and left only to those involved.
What moral dilemma? Its about freedom, and nothing more.

There is a lot of legal stuff to work out here regarding laws, rights, definitions, allowances etc. It's not as simple as it seems me thinks and who foots the bill for all this new paperwork every time a country votes on a law regarding gay marriage?

This is not touching on the point, though. Why is it opposed? What is so scary about it? If those that are afraid would simply stop letting fear control their thinking, it would not cost a thing, as the laws would not need to be passed.

Then there's adoption by gay couples to consider...another facet with deep consideration needed.
Why? What deep consideration is needed, that is not based solely on fear?

It affects just about everyone. To pretend it doesn't shows apathy and ignorance.
Seriously? So, two men getting married somehow affects your life? Please, do explain.

I'll leave my own moral opinions for later if this thread heats up.
You've already made them clear, but you didnt answer the question.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

The scary part is that homosexuality will become accepted as 'normal' by society. The erosion of traditional values is threatening for many. Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible, to accept gay marriage, is to accept the 'sin' and bring down the wrath of God. I am guessing that is another scary part.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Problem is, that is completely illogical. It is not a religious ceremony. Marriages have been taking place all the way back to the beginning of recorded history. That religion included it does not make it a wholly holy ( ) deal.

Sounds like a personal problem to me.

You asked what the problem was….I told you. If you want to keep disputing it then you’ll continue to feel resistance.

I really don’t give a sheet either way!

link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
I would say that a lot of people who are anti gay marriage or anti gay, are in fact themselves gay. Whether they know it or not is a different subject.

That's certainly an interesting perspective. What sources can you provide to back this claim up though?

link   

It is simple logic that gay marriage cannot and will not effect any person outside of that particular relationship.

No, there is an affect. Although the effect's significance may be too small for the sake of argument.

Still, however, it is the change in perception of gay marriage from "not normal" to "normal" that most
who oppose gay marriage are against.

They see it as an erosion of morality in the same way the we patriotic gun bearers see any
legislative inroads taken against the second amendment---a slow incremental encroachment
on the ideals we believe in.

The fear comes from realizing that a practice that goes against your beliefs is becoming the "norm."

For the record, I'm a libertarian-type....Do what thou wilt, but harm no one

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

It's a civil agreement, a legal contract between two people, and doesn't need a ceremony at all. The marriage ceremony is just tradition.

You just made my case!

Marriage is a religious ceremony. Call it something else and move on. Nobody cares where you sleep, what side of the bed you wake up on, what color your sheets are, etc.

Really….We don’t!

Whatever you want to call it is fine…..but it isn’t marriage!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Sounds like a personal problem to me. You asked what the problem was….I told you. If you want to keep disputing it then you’ll continue to feel resistance. I really don’t give a sheet either way!
Im disputing it because what you posted is illogical, and is simply not true. Wedding CEREMONIES are religious. Marriage is not.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival

It is simple logic that gay marriage cannot and will not effect any person outside of that particular relationship.

No, there is an affect. Although the effect's significance may be too small for the sake of argument.

Still, however, it is the change in perception of gay marriage from "not normal" to "normal" that most
who oppose gay marriage are against.

They see it as an erosion of morality in the same way the we patriotic gun bearers see any
legislative inroads taken against the second amendment---a slow incremental encroachment
on the ideals we believe in.

The fear comes from realizing that a practice that goes against your beliefs is becoming the "norm."

For the record, I'm a libertarian-type....Do what thou wilt, but harm no one
Thank you. This is the most realistic answer Ive seen as of yet.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I very much agree with seabag and i disagree with the op somewhat because i have found the spiritual reason for all the problems with it. GOD created homosexuality as a form of punishment from past life going against him. I have been having visions of my pre life and i seen that on a spiritual level all soul mates were male and female but we are at the culmination of our human existence before GOD'S return and most vessels were already taken. So many soul mates went into same sex vessels. That does not take away from the fact that is is a form of punishment that many have to suffer and no pride should be taken in that but what do i know.

The scary part you refer to has been programmed into some humans just like the other has been.
edit on 27-5-2013 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973

Originally posted by OpenEars123
I would say that a lot of people who are anti gay marriage or anti gay, are in fact themselves gay. Whether they know it or not is a different subject.

That's certainly an interesting perspective. What sources can you provide to back this claim up though?

It's just something I've noticed through life in general. I know a lot of gay people, and a good handful of them are over 60.
It's just my opinion of course.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join