It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Believers and Skeptics Please Read

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

S&F!

What you are talking about is something that has had me tempted to just up and leave ATS I think the problem is that we have quite a lot of members who like to think they know it all and refuse to use ATS as a learning platform.

We have members who think they really do know it all, they know everything about UFOs, NWO, War on Terrorism, Alternative Medicine, Politics, Philosophy and so on and so on. The truth however is that they think they know a lot about everything about anything when in reality they know very little about anything. It’s so frustrating. I would rather say I know a lot about something than I know a little about everything on a forum like ATS.

I know very little about UFO’s so I use this forum to learn more about UFO’s I often find myself asking questions or just sitting back and reading what others have to say. I know my strengths and I know my weaknesses, I am not going to start a debate about UFO’s with a member who has 50+ threads about UFOs (no I don’t mean youtube vids I mean actual threads). Rather I would much prefer to learn form that person.

When these people who don’t really know what they are talking about come up against someone who really does know their topic they just turn into mindless idiots and start calling everyone who disagrees with them a “Shill” or some other stupid name.

Its annoying and I wish there was something we could do about it.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

This thread has no direction at all. I wrote it after having quite a few Memorial Day brews yesterday.

Thanks for reading anyways

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
reply to post by JayinAR

S&F!

What you are talking about is something that has had me tempted to just up and leave ATS I think the problem is that we have quite a lot of members who like to think they know it all and refuse to use ATS as a learning platform.

We have members who think they really do know it all, they know everything about UFOs, NWO, War on Terrorism, Alternative Medicine, Politics, Philosophy and so on and so on. The truth however is that they think they know a lot about everything about anything when in reality they know very little about anything. It’s so frustrating. I would rather say I know a lot about something than I know a little about everything on a forum like ATS.

I know very little about UFO’s so I use this forum to learn more about UFO’s I often find myself asking questions or just sitting back and reading what others have to say. I know my strengths and I know my weaknesses, I am not going to start a debate about UFO’s with a member who has 50+ threads about UFOs (no I don’t mean youtube vids I mean actual threads). Rather I would much prefer to learn form that person.

When these people who don’t really know what they are talking about come up against someone who really does know their topic they just turn into mindless idiots and start calling everyone who disagrees with them a “Shill” or some other stupid name.

I'm not going to point out one thing or another in what you share. But what I will do is remind you, and everyone else that WE live in a paradigm. And it is a shifting paradigm. What was true yesteryear may not be true next year. "You people who think you know it all, are very annoying to us who do"!, is what I hear from your point.

Oh yes, ATS is definitely a learning platform, but don't try to enforce who is the teacher and who is the student. Just like the commercial "You can learn a lot from a Dummy"

If any of my points or threads have offended you in the past, and I know they have, please forgive me. Sometimes I do forget my manners and claim to know something most others do not. But for me, its not just a claim. So when someone attempts to put me back into the matrix box that I know is false, I get annoyed! "Crack open a book" comments are insulting, especially when I do not accept the authors of the books as being completely honest.

The truth however is that they think they know a lot about everything about anything when in reality they know very little about anything.
From where I come from that is a complement called "Jack of all trades, master of none". It is the horse without blinders that knows where he is. Some would prefer everyone had blinders on so the real/ honest educational process can begin.

You may be one of the ones who still have faith in our "Educational" system, I am not. The old saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself", also applies to our personal education as well.

There is, its called compromise. Honestly try to comprehend what everyone is trying to share. Even if you have never been "Educated" on the topic.

Ill share this with you, I suspect all of our science books, history books, medical books, will be in the trash in 20 years. Its not just a radical opinion, its history

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Klassified

Agreed.

The entire purpose of this thread is to present a legitimate concern.
I will be the first person to tell you aliens are real and that they visit this planet.

I maintain this always. In my view the volume of evidence combined with my own personal experience is more than enough to convince me beyond a shadow of a doubt. But...

People need to learn to accept their personal proof while also accepting the skepticism that comes with ANY bold claim.

This is how human learning works.

My thoughts exactly. Personal proof isn't proof to anyone but oneself.

As for skepticism, well, it should be applied to every form of proof. Even one's own personal proof. Some of us have seen things, we know where we're at, but that doesn't mean that other people are prepared to take our word for it. In fact, they should'nt be.

I've been on ATS for quite a while now, and not once have I posted anything remotely to do with my personal experiences, because I've got nothing to back them up other than my own word. That's just not enough.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

When it comes to UFOs there will always be those for whom evidence to the contrary of their belief is completely ignored for the simple fact that they WANT to believe. Stubborn is far too mild a word for their steadfastness. Although experiencing an unexplainable event in my own distant past I have always accepted that someone, somewhere could possible hold a logical explanation for me, but I have also studied a few situations for which there seems no logical explanation to counter them. The key is to keep an open mind, but there will always be those who will beat their heads against the wall to keep from having to recognize the truth- there is no convincing them that what they believe is false. I believe it is because their egos demand it.

<< 1   >>

join