It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Saudi Religious Scholars Support Holy War In Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Twenty six Saudi scholars in an open letter to the Iraqi people have called upon them to support the militants fighting against coalition forces. Calling it a duty and a right, they referred to the attacks on U.S. troops as legitimate resistance.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT, Lebanon - Prominent Saudi religious scholars have called on Iraqis to support militants waging holy war against the U.S.-led coalition forces, saying fighting the occupation was a duty and a right

In an open letter to the Iraqi people and posted on the Internet Saturday, 26 Saudi scholars and religious preachers stressed that armed attacks launched by militant Iraqi groups on U.S. troops and their allies in Iraq were "legitimate" resistance.

The statement came as U.S. troops, backed by air and artillery power, were gearing up for a major assault on the militant stronghold of Fallujah.

The scholars � some of whom have been criticized in the past for their extremist views � issued a fatwa, or religious edict, prohibiting Iraqis from offering any support for military operations carried out by U.S. forces against militant strongholds.

"Fighting the occupiers is a duty for all those who are able. It is a jihad (holy war) to push back the assailants ...," said the letter. "Resistance is a legitimate right. A Muslim must not inflict harm on any resistance man or inform about them. Instead, they should be supported and protected

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The fatwa, a religious edict, also forbade the Iraqi citizens from helping coalition forces in maintaining order or reconstruction efforts. Those signing the letter included radical but influential Sunni clerics including Sheik Safar al-Hawali, Sheik Nasser al-Omar, Sheik Salman al-Awdah, Sheik Sharif Hatem al-Aouni and Sheik Awad al-Qarni.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well if they keep this up they will loose their power also, and Bin Ladin will like that one! THe Saudi monarchy is doomed

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Umm when I lived in Saudi(in the 80s), the Saudi Monarchy was very Taliban-esque, and it's only gotten worse in 20 years. Religous Police outnumber regular police 5 to 1. Women were little more than Property to be sold into sla...AHEM Marriage for a generous "Dowry", Thieves got their hands cut off, and Adultresses got stoned to death... It is a very....Dark Ages like state with Modern technology(scary huh). My point is, that Half the Saudi gov't probably Supports Al-Quada, so it will be in Bin Ladin's best interest to support the part of the Royal familiy whose goals are the same as his. JIHAD. Why havn't we been concentrating on Saudi since we know that most of the 911 hijackers were of Saudi origin...(rhetorical question)

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well if they keep this up they will loose their power also, and Bin Ladin will like that one! THe Saudi monarchy is doomed

Alot of people fail to see the total corruption of the House of Saud. You have a country that is ripe for revolution and when it happens, its going to make Iran look like a tea party.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Very interesting we should be in Saudi not Iraq, everytime you turn around you always find the link of all the problems are mostly rooted in Saudi.

How can bush still keep our nation friendly to that country. Perhaps because the money trail is link to US too.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
How can bush still keep our nation friendly to that country. Perhaps because the money trail is link to US too.

marg, if you are really interested in the topic, read 'Sleeping With The Devil" its not the best written book, but it goes into huge detail about how Saudi money and Washington corruption play well together. ITs not even a partisan thing. Both parties get into the act.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
An excellent article on Wahhabism Today can be found here

From the article:

Today, Wahhabism is the dominant Islamic tradition on the Arabian penninsula, though its influence is greatly reduced in the rest of the Middle East. As Osama bin Laden comes from Saudi Arabia and is Wahhabi himself, Wahhabi extremism and radical ideas of purity have obviously influenced him considerably. Adherents of Wahhabi Islam do not regard it as simply one school of thought out of many; rather it is the only path of true Islam � nothing else really counts.

In reality the Saud family is experiencing their own form of "blow back." You make a deal with the devil and he ends up owning you in the end.

B

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Thanks for that link Bleys this part of the article strikes me because that is how they behave in Iraq as now.

TextThis rebellion against the Ottomans was fierce and bloody, in large part because the Wahhabis were indiscriminate in their killing of both Muslims and non-Muslims � anyone who didn�t adhere to their vision of orthodoxy was a fair target.

Sometimes is hard to understand why they can kill their own in their battlers against coallitions, you have to understand their believes and state of mind to see how what they do make sence to them even if we still can not.

And now encouragment by religous leadders is going to make their purpose more stronger.

The are killing everybody around them as long as their goal of taking the"infidel" is acomplish.

How can you win against a state of mind like that.

[Edited on 053030p://666 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Umm when I lived in Saudi(in the 80s), the Saudi Monarchy was very Taliban-esque, and it's only gotten worse in 20 years. Religous Police outnumber regular police 5 to 1. Women were little more than Property to be sold into sla...AHEM Marriage for a generous "Dowry", Thieves got their hands cut off, and Adultresses got stoned to death... It is a very....Dark Ages like state with Modern technology(scary huh). My point is, that Half the Saudi gov't probably Supports Al-Quada, so it will be in Bin Ladin's best interest to support the part of the Royal familiy whose goals are the same as his. JIHAD. Why havn't we been concentrating on Saudi since we know that most of the 911 hijackers were of Saudi origin...(rhetorical question)

Well, with with some people wanting "a more sensitive approach to Islamic radicalism" I guess they are looking forward to more of the above and in other countries such as the UK and the US.

Hey, it doesn't sound that bad does it?........

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Thanks for that link Bleys this part of the article strikes me because that is how they behave in Iraq as now.

Sometimes is hard to understand why they can kill their own in their battlers against coallitions, you have to understand their believes and state of mind to see how what they do make sence to them even if we still can not.

And now encouragment by religous leadders is going to make their purpose more strongler.

The are killing everybody around them as long as their goal of taking the"indidel" is acomplish.

Well Marg this is nothing new, and moderates have been killed for a long time in the Middle East, even before the coalition went there.

How can you win agaisnt someone with this kind of mindframe, by going to war with them until they back off or they are eliminated...unless you prefer to submit to them....I know I would never submit to radical Islam.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Thank you marg. I don't think you can win against such an extreme ideology. If history shows us anything they either win outright or are exterminated. Harsh, but true.

I don't want anyone to come away with the idea that this is representative of all of Islam. It would be like saying that Eric Rudolph and his Army of God are representative of all Christians. Extremism in any form is dangerous.

I see this all culminating into a bloody civil war some day in Saudi Arabia, beginning with the assasinations of certain Saud family members.

B.

top topics

join