It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending volcanic eruption prompts evacuation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

SANTIAGO/BUENOS AIRES (Reuters) - Chilean and Argentine authorities on Monday declared a red alert and ordered the mandatory evacuation of a 25-km (15.5-mile) radius around the active Copahue volcano, which straddles the border between the two Andean nations.

The volcano - located some 500 km (310 miles) south of capital Santiago, between Chile's Bio Bio region and Argentina's Neuquen province - has seen increasing seismic activity in recent weeks but has not erupted, Chilean authorities said.

"This doesn't necessarily mean the volcano will start erupting. But according to the Sernageomin (National Geological and Mining Service), the volcano is now in a process that could culminate in an eruption, for that reason we've issued a red alert and the evacuation," Chilean Interior Minister Andres Chadwick told a nationally televised news conference.

Authorities estimated that some 2,240 people will be evacuated in Chile.

edit on 27-5-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MuzzleBreak

Interesting for more than one reason, I must say. This is ATS, so I have to point a couple of previous events in the same area.

"Chile Confirms Presence of "Unknown" Submarine in Chilean Territorial Waters".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

"Swarm of Lights Appear Over Argentina and Chile And Is Filmed From Six Cameras".

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 27-5-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Kinda cool

Now i hope all is safe

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I've always been fascinated by volcanoes.

Thanks for posting this!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankLY

About my previous post, read between the lines :

Leading in world rankings: Centro de Estudios Públicos (CEP) and Instituto Libertad y Desarrollo (LyD) both from Santiago, Chile. It is no coincidence that the top two think tanks are based in the country which also has the best corporate culture and the freest economy in the region.

www.forbes.com...

Wonder how convenient would be an artificial mega-disaster o just the capacity to predict a natural one, for whoever has the technology. The way this game was played had changed, they used to inject puppet corrupted governments to keep the caos in Latin America.
edit on 27-5-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join