It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memorial Day is a day of remembrance. Let us never forget the mistakes of the past.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Like many of the ATS community, I have seen war. It is not pretty at all; it smells nasty, looks nasty and is nasty. And you NEVER forget it.

But many here in this community have not seen it. With its destruction, the lost lives, the families torn apart, both at home and abroad. They just know what their favorite website or MSM has told them and then it is left up to their imaginations.

Those of us who have been there and done that, don’t need our imagination. We know.

We know that human beings are fallible and prone to making the wrong decisions. If you want to sing kumbiya and have a group hug, most of us are good with that, but we are also not surprised when it bites you in the ass because someone in that group wants to be the leader.

The blame goes full circle, whether you want to accept it or not. We are all human.

But in order to not repeat the mistakes of the past, you & I must have a strong moral compass. Ethics above reproach. The inner strength to make the hard decisions.

Here is the kicker. The above paragraph will definitely lead to further conflict. Why? Because we all have a different set of ideals on how life should be lived. And that path always leads to conflict.

I think that the first hurdle to overcome would be that everybody recognizes that fact that we all are human, with different viewpoints. The second and hardest hurdle would be to acknowledge those viewpoints in a peaceable manner. If only others would not impose or force their points of view.

As long as there is the human race, that’ll never happen. Most people do not want war, and I am in that camp. However, I’m of the same mindset of my great 4X’s Grandfather.

“War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.” - William Tecumseh Sherman

Unfortunately, the only way to mitigate war is through war itself. These brush-fire and proxy wars must be brought to a halt. And the only way to do that is though a world war. With a clear victor, and loser.

As time goes by, I am starting to think that we need a horrific world war. If only to pull humanities head out of its collective ass. Please forgive me as that really is not what I want, but thinking is what we need.

Believe it or not, this does not depress me…too much anyways. I’m just trying to be realistic.

The old saying of, "Why can't we just all get along?' does have a answer. Because we can't. It may just have to be forced down our throats.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Nah, uhn, ughn. We do not need more war. Just because we have been there and done that more than a few times does not mean that this is the way to keep solving problems. To think that way is really to think with that part of our body than spews excrement. We need some intelligence applied to the matter of solving our differences.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

We need some intelligence applied to the matter of solving our differences.

I agree.
But when will it come about? That is the question.

I admit that I am not at all happy with this topic, but it does need to be brought up. Will it require genocide? Because that is where I see the majority of the people leaning towards.

The old, "Do it my way or die" argument. I'd like to think that we are better than that, but reality is proveing otherwise.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

We need to stop the madness. The mantra must be "brains over brawn! We've had stupid destruction long enough." I do not believe that people want more war, other than radicals and the cursed war machine (may its parts rust out from disuse)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Thank you.

I just want to take the time to remember those that have fallen in pursuit of noble causes.

beez

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

We need to stop the madness. The mantra must be "brains over brawn! We've had stupid destruction long enough." I do not believe that people want more war, other than radicals and the cursed war machine (may its parts rust out from disuse)

But how will we stop this madness? That is the big question. It's just not the MIC or religion or nationalism or ideology. They all have a part in it, but eliminating them alone will not be the answer.

How?

Realistically, how do we stop this madness?

That is the question that people do not address. Why? Because oft times, people don't want to address the cold hard truth.

Oh, they have ideas, but not very realistic ones. They are usually pipe dreams. I will admit I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I also want to just say thank you, for this reminder and for your service. Maybe if we are reminded enough, we can learn from our collective mistakes.

top topics

join