It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you remember...? **memorial day**

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hey Ghost, just curious, how old are you?

I admit, reading your post riled me a bit. I think about the soldiers we are remembering that were subject to a draft, that had no choice about going to war. From what I understand, many did not want to go, but went because they would have been arrested. So, I am sure you are one of those who would have opposed and would have gone to jail, right?

My husband never killed or shot someone in the military. He did fly all over the world and provide humanitarian assistance, though, and he remembers the tsunami and Katrina trips a little differently than the trips to the gulf. I still remember him coming off of a six month deployment and offering to be away from his family a month more to help distribute aid to those in need. Not all soldiers are "killers".

Look, I get it, no one will ever convince someone as righteous as you to ever think differently, but I still want to know about all these amazing things you do to advance your cause. Do tell?

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I remember very well also, on this day, it is full of memories of brothers and sisters that did not make It back home! yes I am one of the scum, I volunteered, and was thrust into a hell pit, and was blown up, shot at, and tried to patch them up, to live! I may be the problem, but as god is my witness, people like me are the reason you can "feel" the way you do. you can burn the flag, as your right to express yourself, you can call us murderers, as your right to free speech, and you may choose not to vote, that is also your right. these "rights" are from those who we remember today. I am not proud of what I had to do, but I did my job. I made it back home. I remember not only what I have done, but also my friends who did not make it back, those who I had to watch slip away. to protect your right. if you are so angry at everybody in this country, please, feel free to leave. Go to another country, see what it is like to not have your rights.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Knee bent for our veterans.

I honor you.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
Knee bent for our veterans.

I honor you.

No! Honor those who never made it home on Memorial Day.

Veteran's Day is the day to honor us.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Righteously said!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by artnut

Thanks for your thread, we all need to reflect on those friends , relatives, people just fulfilling their duty as conscientious citizens that never returned to their loved ones.Whether drafted or enlisted we did what was expected of us by those who where in charge. Those days are over !! We will no longer do as expected in any capacity; until you the government follow the simple rules of law and common good for all citizens. We will not tolerate any more injustice and your compliance is mandatory.....no excuses accepted.

Happy Memorial Day !!

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thunder2u

I say, ‘take it whenever you can get it’!!

One need not be dead for their sacrifice to be remembered.

I appreciate the sentiments, Covertblack!

edit on 27-5-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by thunder2u

I say, ‘take it whenever you can get it’!!

One need not be dead for their sacrifice to be remembered.

I appreciate the sentiments, Covertblack!

Memorial Day is specifically for those who died though. It's the day to remember them and their sacrifice.

It's NOT a day to receive honor for ourselves who made it back alive. This day honors them, we have Veteran's Day to honor us.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

May.[1] Memorial Day is a day of remembering the men and women who died while serving in the United States Armed Forces.[2] Formerly known as Decoration Day, it originated after the American Civil War to commemorate the Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Civil War. By the 20th century, Memorial Day had been extended to honor all Americans who have died while in the military service.[3] It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries.

Source: Wikipedia, "Memorial Day"

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I hear ya!

He said Knee bent for our veterans.

That's good enough for me.

I know he's not paying homage to me because I’m currently arguing with him in another thread!

I thought it was decent of him to stop by here and say something nice (unlike others we've seen).

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

I hear ya!

He said Knee bent for our veterans.

That's good enough for me.

I just wanted to be strictly clear that veterans who are alive don't need to be taking away from those who died on Memorial Day. This a a very important day, and it needs to be pointed out that the focus is on those we lost, not those who returned. Anyone who honors me on Memorial Day, I tell them no, honor those who never made it back, I was fortunate.

Veteran's Day is for us.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I just wanted to be strictly clear that veterans who are alive don't need to be taking away from those who died on Memorial Day.

My dad served in Vietnam and retired after 28 years active service. He came by today and wished me a happy Memorial Day. I responded in kind. It’s the thought that counts.

I don’t wish to take away from anyone but I also don’t want to slap someone who tried to be respectful. The correction just came across a little harsh, that’s all!

Regardless…you’re right about the true meaning.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well, I didn't mean to imply we should educate people to the difference between Memorial Day and Veteran's Day in a mean manner. It's a big deal, those who gave their lives deserve the honor and glory of this day.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I spent the better part of the last two days at Riverside National Cemetery, like i do every year.

I'm also mentally and emotionally exhausted, like i am every year at this time. And i wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's a day to honor the fallen and never forget!

Regardless of the conflict they died in or the reason for it.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
Age does not weary them nor the years condemn the dead, these things are the lot of those that survive. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember those that died and those that live on.

Who wrote that or said that ?
addit: I have added the author [ looked it up] it was Laurence Binyon

"They shall not grow old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them."
– Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)

FOR THE FALLEN.
They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
They fell with their faces to the foe.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.
They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond Englands foam

written for the Allied Soldiers lost in WW1 - used at Remembrance Sunday,
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 28-5-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Thank you for writing that, it bought tears to my eyes.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by seagull

Who put them there? Who put the politicians into office who are incapable of finding any other solution to a problem?

Scum? Murderers? Save some of that hate for yourself, sirrah. 'Cause we're all part of the problem. Not just the soldiers.

No, I refuse to vote because I know all politicians, like willing soldiers, are scum.

Men and women who join the military are scum ???
You really have mixed up confused morals.

Your statement is just NOT true,people join for a myriad of reasons, such as adventure, learning a trade/ profession, travel. Why do you hate the military ?

Personally I prefer the military to the police or politicians, they show honour, courage and tend to be patriots - when our leaders are often cowards and traitors.

Look no further then WW1 to see the truth of this in action.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
You will never stop war, it is part of human nature.

Just as sure as a bee will gather pollen, you can be certain that humans will always create conflict.

But yes, lets remember those who have fallen.

War is not human nature.

Every major military conflict of the last few hundred years has required an elite minority to organise men into war.

Ever saw the pictures of British and German soldiers playing football in no man's land on Christmas Day 1914? Did the average British citizen wish to fight the German citizen, or were they tricked into war by propaganda and engineered hatred?

Men are sold war by propaganda and the satanic forces that divide us. Many men are capable of evil but give a child a good upbringing and teach them respect and they will wish to live in peace and side by side by his fellow man.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I wrote this as a dedication to the US servicemen who lost their lives in WW2.[ I know it is not that good and only about one ship - but it is meant to show respect to all who died in that war]
www.abovetopsecret.com...
USS Arizona - my life story,

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   

If that's the case, dun mind me asking, but what exactly do you do besides spread hate? To look at the current situation and say that so-and so is this or that without looking at the disease that caused these symptoms to appear is not a shred wiser than those who look at the system and see nothing wrong. You neglect to see that the youth coming up are highly susceptible to the propaganda industry that has been firing away at youths non-stop since WWII ended. What will you do when the school system finally goes full-on Orwellian? Blame the children for believing that which their considered role models and parents told them since birth when real role models are painted out to be nuts? Or would you blame said school system for perpetrating dishonesty? You really need to ask yourself that. Those that believe they are serving their country in the military, as I did, really do believe (at least at first) that they are serving their country, and who can fault someone for risking all they are or ever will be for ideologies, however false they may really be, that they truly believe in. You may hate soldiers who go off and do the dirty work of bankers just for being soldiers, but I will end with this: At least they believe in something higher and more important than themselves. Any ideals, even false ideals are better than no ideals or ambition at all, which you quite clearly display. I sincerely hope you come back to reality for the end, because until then, no matter how wise you think you are, you will be on the wrong side of the line that demarcates the moral high ground. Nothing in this life is black and white, so to operate as if it is, is nothing but foolish. Don't hate the pawn, hate the "chess-master." Or better yet, don't hate at all as it leads to nothing but more hate, and hate is not conducive to enlightenment, which we are all in sore need of. Especially those that fancy themselves to be more enlightened than everyone else, for they are more blind than those they look down on.
edit on 28/5/2013 by xXxinfidelxXx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join