It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bob Dole: "GOP Should be closed for repairs."

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The Republican Party has changed so drastically in recent years, the current GOP wouldn’t welcome the likes of Ronald Reagan, former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole said Sunday.

The current GOP ought to be “closed for repairs” because it lacks a vision and is unable to strike deals with Democrats, Dole said during an appearance on “Fox News Sunday”.

Nearly half of self-identified Republicans in an April Washington Post-ABC News poll said their party is “out of touch” with the concerns of most Americans, while barely one in five Democrats said their own party was out of sync. And in a January Post-ABC poll, 67 percent of all Americans said Republicans in Congress were not doing enough to compromise with Obama on important issues, compared with 48 percent who saw Obama as too stubborn.

Washington Post

So one of the last decent and moderate Republicans says the GOP should be closed for repairs, and I don't expect a lot of people here to agree with the article, because for many of you the current crop of Republican politicians have become too "liberal" for your taste (if that is even possible.)

It certainly seems to me that the tumor that is the Tea Party has taken over and destroyed the soul of the GOP. Obstructionism might work to get you elected to the House, however I do not see any Republican candidate ever winning another presidential election if they keep alienating everyone that is not a heterosexual middle aged White man.

If there are any moderate Republicans reading this, I'd like to know what you think about all this. What are your thoughts on the Tea Party takeover of the Republican party?

What ever happened to the Republican party that Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt were a part of?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Both the republican AND democratic offices should be closed for repairs. Along with the presidential office to boot. But this would close all of Washington down so we need a better fix.

We desperately need a strong third and maybe even fourth party. And our government should strive to make it happen. We need a middle ground since most people do not lean entirely left or right. You can not push sharp left and right agendas and expect this country to work. I can assure you that Washington will not allow this to happen. The citizens of the US are the ones that will need to do this. Are you all game? We can do this.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I seen the interview today on TV, I can not believe how old Bob is and how his health has deteriorated, but he is lucky because in his 90s he still have a sharp mind, taking into consideration that he spend 3 years on a hospital as a young man after war related injuries.

He is old school, has done great things for veterans rights and he is actually telling the truth about the GOP, when asked about congress he didn't want to say much but I can tell that he sees that congress and political parties are broken.

I like when he was asked about Obama, he was nice enough to say that he was a great gulf player and speaker, but lacks communications skills.

I like the interview, is not many old school politicians left from when politics did matter.

join