It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corrupt Chinese officials turn to 'black' PR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

In the middle of the biggest anti-corruption campaign for years, crooked Chinese politicians are paying to vanish from sight, with all negative stories about them scrubbed from the internet. "It does not matter how big or sensitive the story is, we can make it disappear," promised a manager at Yage Times, China's largest and most notorious "black" public relations (PR) firm.

Source:
www.telegraph.co.uk...

If you are a corrupt official in China and you've done something you'd rather the world would forget about, these so-called "Black PR" firms will do their best to remove the stain on your reputation from the Internet and social networks. There are simar companies in the West too. The article suggests that business is booming.

One of the things that has always troubled me about the Internet is the fact that "the Internet never forgets." Make a stupid YouTube clip as a teenager or a drunken post one night as a young person? It might come back to haunt you when you are 45 and looking for a promotion to feed your family.

Indeed, certain groups in Europe have lobbied for the "right to be forgotten": That is, the right to have embarrassing or compromising information scrubbed from the by after a certain amount of time. Sounds good on paper, but the Net is such a nebulous and uncontrollable place that I think it's hard to enforce in fact (although in more tighly-regulated net "ecosystems" like that in China, perhaps it is easier). But where do we draw the line? Who has the right to come into your system and say "you must erase such-and-such?" When we are talking corrupt government officials wanting their reputations polished, it's a bit different than a teenager who made an embarrassing post or YouTube clip decades ago...or is it?

The article raises many questions about the limits. of censorship, privacy, and information freedom. What does ATS think?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

What does ATS think?

I think they signed up for classes taught by the masters of spin, deception, lies and cover-ups at the White House.

Peace

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
You see the problem with laws, with civilized society is when those who are supposed to uphold them do not, it makes the entire thing meaningless. Corruption isn't anything new to China, though I am surprised that they elite over there actually care what others think.

Must be something for the mid level flunkies.
edit on 26-5-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
We have Federal Senators here in Canada facing unwanted scrutiny for fudging expenses,
We have one provinces government members ducking and covering in the midst of a construction contract bribery scandal.
We have The Mayor of a provincial Capital city facing allegations that he was taped participating in illegal activities, his brother, a city councilor, is accused of participating in illegal activities back in the 1980s.
That kind of service could do well here.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
"black" PR.... whats that?... and is Martin Lawrence presenting it?

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16
We have Federal Senators here in Canada facing unwanted scrutiny for fudging expenses,
We have one provinces government members ducking and covering in the midst of a construction contract bribery scandal.
We have The Mayor of a provincial Capital city facing allegations that he was taped participating in illegal activities, his brother, a city councilor, is accused of participating in illegal activities back in the 1980s.
That kind of service could do well here.

We also have the liberal government on Ontario facing the fact that they spent a billion dollars to pay for seats in Mississauga and Oakville. Though to get some of the flunkies to admit to it is hard.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think the great gestaltic moment will come someday....but probably not in our lifetime.

But there will come a time when the scale tips and everyone will realize what a scam the management has been pulling for nearly ever.
Then i hope all over the world ,people will just get their backs up and ostracise the elite from our society.
Theres a whole lot less of them than us....we could just put all of them, in say ,....Iowa,.... fence the place, and let them wither away.......

new topics

top topics

join