It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Game you will never play

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Io9 Link
Polygon Link

Jason Rohrer, designer of the games Passage, The Castle Doctrine and Diamond Trust of London, designed a game that likely won't be played in his lifetime. Instead, he buried the game, with the intention that it wouldn't be played for the next two thousand years.

Interesting concept. I think crowd sourcing could get this thing found and played. It would be cool to leave something like this around for future generations to find and wonder about. I'm also curious to know if maybe there was an end times date anywhere on it

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   

During the presentation, each member of the audience received a piece of paper with 900 GPS coordinates listed on it. Rohrer said there were a million coordinates in total, and that if someone were to visit one set of coordinates with a metal detector once a day, the game would be found within 2,700 years.

io9.com...

Very mysterious...

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
He crafted a game out of titanium, buried it, and made it a game to find the game.
It's a cool idea but I bet if it's found it will be only by chance. The 1 in a million odds isn't all to appealing for a titanium made game. Unless in the future titanium becomes near priceless in value.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
cool, done before though.

this is the same idea as the guy who buried the dinosaur bones.

posted on May, 26 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Maybe he put a lot of money into in but the game is really bad and this is just a publicity stunt to sell his other games

Even I'm intrigued in seeing his work with a story like that, which is probably why I'll refrain myself from doing so.

posted on May, 27 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

If I'm not mistaken, the developers had to follow a "Humanity's last game" theme.

Rohrer's A Game for Someone was presented at the 10th (and final) Game Design Challenge at GDC. This year's challenge was themed "Humanity's Last Game." While designers like Will Wright, Jenova Chen and Harvey Smith typically bring fleshed out game design ideas to the annual challenge, Rohrer took things a step further by actually manufacturing his game and detailing the process behind it today.

new topics

top topics

join