It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeless man called a bum, maybe this will change your perspective

page: 16
<< 13  14  15   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by Nicks87

Maybe you should be working instead of posting on ATS. Just a suggestion.

Oh, check out Einstein over here, folks!

How could we have been so blind; just go get that application and fill it out accordingly. It's simple:

Line 1: Address

...Balls. Back to the drawing board.

...But yet illegal aliens can get work in America and many of them don't even speak English or have a phone let alone an address.

Funny how that works, huh, tough guy?

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sippy Cup
reply to post by Nicks87

Maybe you should read instead of posting! I said I maintain a job, and I worked all weekend, do you know what today is by the way?

Well you're the one complaining about being homeless. A good remedy for that is more income which comes with more work but nobody works on the holidays do they?

I feel sorry for the 10% of homeless people that really cant get work and I think the govt should do something to help them out...

But for those capable of working...

Where there is a will, there is a way. Meaning get off your lazy butts and WORK, like the rest of us.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Nicks87

Yea! Working a slaves wage 24/7 untill you die! Then you will have been a good person finally!

So you would rather other people work and pay taxes so you can leech off of the govt? That makes sense.

posted on May, 28 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
That video is awesome and it reminds me of a few guys Ive helped out before. He very obviously wants to get off the street and support himself.

Who wouldn't? It's humiliating to panhandle for money, or even work for donations like a street musician. You lower yourself to the kindness of others. This is not a huge moral offense or a even a major crime, yet the way some people want to change topic to welfare recipients taking advantage of a system and being shameless makes me wonder.

When I was very young my family was homeless for awhile as my dad was trying to move west and find undergraduate work yet the only thing he could do for some cash was play guitar, and people dont pay you much. We were at least lucky enough to have friends to stay with but it wasn't much more than a couch or corner to crash in.

I have a huge compassion for those who manage to live off so little but have not other choice, and if I was in the same position I would want out of my situation, or at least the momentary pain I was in. I am in no position to judge their decisions that got them there. The local Real Change vendor (a decent local progressive paper sold to benefit homeless) who sold me my paper for over a year died recently. Ed McClain was a good man, and many of us miss him.

Good thread and good video, SnF purps!

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I have little sympathy for them because they chose to give up.

You're suffering quite badly from the fundamental attribution error.

Wanting to know why someone is who they are is quite a bit different from actually knowing why they are that way. Luckily, all it takes is some friendly words to get the ball rolling and find out about a person.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Just wanted to say my homeless but is gonna be going west starting Friday/sat.

any donations of gas or food or a place to park along the way to cali will be appreciated.

drop me a pm if you can help along the way.
edit on 30-5-2013 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Very moving video.

The homeless issue is ridiculous to begin with...There are plenty of vacant homes in the US that can provide shelter for people/families down on their luck.

The fact that people would rather make a quick buck, instead of get rich by helping those in need is something I may never understand.

posted on Jun, 1 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

Spot on!! And can we add collateral damage of unrelenting war initiated and supported by runaway capitalism? When you really think about it, capitalism at its "best" is tyranny at its worst.

posted on Jun, 3 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Most of the homeless people are there because of poor decisions they decided to make in their lives. Many are alcohol and drug abuse victims, but it was still their choice to partake in that.

I guess we can argue what 'most' means, but 38% are mentally ill and 39% are children. National Homeless Statistics I would say more are mentally ill, just mask it by avoiding people and using drugs and alcohol. I have some experience in mental health (not my own, of course, but I worked in the field) and many escape diagnosis by using avoidance and masking techniques.

Also, many mentally healthy people suffer health situations that devastate their savings. Once you are taking baths in public sinks, it is pretty hard to keep your interview suit clean. Our society is based on a lot of complex structures. If one fails, like not having a safe place to sleep, bathe or eat, it is pretty hard to compete as a 'regular' person.

posted on Jun, 9 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I used to think all homeless people brought it upon themselves. Then I experienced life for myself and had to survive on my own. Its a cold world out there and people who end up in bad situations get a bad reputation since others think everyone should be as good off as themselves and anyone who isnt caused it on their own. I respect all people until given a reason not to. If I have the money I give to those who ask for it. Its just a nice feeling to know that you can try and help make a difference and hopefully change someones life. I wish with everything in me that I could help all the homeless people who didnt do it to themselves but I just cant. All I can do is hope this world changes and gives those individuals another chance.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Some maybe, but they still deserve a little compassion.

Also, keep in mind many may be there through no choice of their own. Because homelessness is viewed by many the same way you see it, there is 1 very big reason why getting a job might be quite difficult. Also, consider how hard it might be to get a job with minimal work qualifications, no address, and no recent work history.

I think a substantial portion of those who are homeless are there b/c untreated medical or mental disorders which make it hard for them to function in day-to-day life.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Oh, check out Einstein over here, folks!

How could we have been so blind; just go get that application and fill it out accordingly. It's simple:

Line 1: Address

...Balls. Back to the drawing board.

...But yet illegal aliens can get work in America and many of them don't even speak English or have a phone let alone an address.

Funny how that works, huh, tough guy?

Your gross mischaracterization is about as bad as that of a bum stereotype.

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by chasingbrahman

You are right on the money!

posted on Jun, 10 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Christ said to give to the homeless, because they will always be there.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the beggar, I try to look at the world like this, perhaps they were raised with only 1 poor parent, and that 1 parent died young, there is no way to know why they are on the street, drugs and alcohol aren't always the cause, I know a poor guy who begs on the street every day, he doesn't do drugs and doesn't drink, he's on the street because his parents are dead and he's mentally challenged, luckily he is alive because unlike you, God has blessed him through the compassion of strangers.

posted on Jun, 11 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicks87

So you would rather other people work and pay taxes so you can leech off of the govt? That makes sense

I thought it was the government that done the leeching not the people..

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by Nicks87

So you would rather other people work and pay taxes so you can leech off of the govt? That makes sense

I thought it was the government that done the leeching not the people..

It's both, do I really need to explain it?

The point is, the people that are WORKING are getting the shaft. Govt officials fleece the middle class while they participate in insider trading and crony capitalism. The money they dont funnel into the military industrial complex gets spent on pet projects and the welfare system.

So yes the govt leeches off the middle class, keeps most for themselves and then pisses away the left overs to the bums. See, was that so hard?

So much for making me look stupid, huh?

top topics

<< 13  14  15   >>

join